The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi from NC + business idea

Idea threads

macteague

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 9, 2012
Hi,

My name is Mac and I live in the U.S. in the good ol' state of NC.
I found this forum from reading TMF and I've been lurking here for quite a bit.

I am an Economics major on my last year of university. I work a part-time job at the grocery store, but I know working for other people isn't going to work out for me. My goal is to be financially free before I turn 30.

I have an idea for a fastlane business which is a trading and auction site for a niche product. There is a real need there, I just need to learn the web development and advertise it. I have heard from some people that its too time consuming to learn the complexities of making an auction-type website and perhaps I should hire someone to do it or outsource it. If I did that, what would be stopping whoever I gave the job to from doing it themself and taking my idea? I figure I'll just learn but I am somewhat torn on where to start. I've read in some places that there is an auction script premade for wordpress, and in other places I've read that auctions and buy/sell websites are too complicated for wordpress.

Thank you to MJ for bringing value to my life with the book and this forum and thank you to all of you for your posts. i look forward to getting to you know you guys better.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Hey welcome!

In general programmers don't want to run a business (this isnt what they are good at and likely arent a threat to you). in all likelyhood you have nothing to worry about by hiring someone to program the site. That's the way I would go personally.

If you outsource to another country it will be even less likely that they would "steal" your "idea." Just make sure you pay after delivery or pay at certain milestones. Your biggest worry should be actually getting the product that you hire the programmer for, if you pay upon completion you eliminate this risk. Hope this helped

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Agreed, programmers will most likely not be interested in the business side of it.

On a side note, I'm working on my own site similar to what you mentioned and my biggest obstacle was how to build it. I put one ad out and I had dozens of programmers get back to me in no time at all. So enjoy!

Also I'm from NC as well, so hey!

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
As mentioned above, it you decide to outsource, you must be extremely specific and detailed with what you want. Personally, I have used Odesk in the past for some small minor work and the product came out fine. Just be sure to find someone who has a good resume and has past experience with what you are trying to accomplish. Good luck

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
As mentioned above, it you decide to outsource, you must be extremely specific and detailed with what you want. Personally, I have used Odesk in the past for some small minor work and the product came out fine. Just be sure to find someone who has a good resume and has past experience with what you are trying to accomplish. Good luck
Agreed some things I learned from odesk are be ultra detailed and you will save money and time. Also dont pay hourly, pay upon completion. If you have detailed specs of what you want you will get good results and good bids on the amount of work.

Expect to pay more than what is bid so make sure and agree upon a lower cost than you are able to pay. In all liklihood it will end up costing a little more

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Because from what I understand the requirements of the project are currently a bit 'vague' I think that you should hire someone by the hour. Also from what I understand you are not experienced in web projects somehow so it would be better to find someone in real life that you can talk to and discuss.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Auction software is available right out of the box, no need to develop...

Healthstatus, is there any out of the box solutions you would recommend for brokerage sites?

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Healthstatus, is there any out of the box solutions you would recommend for brokerage sites?

I always Google "open source _________ software", "open source _________ web" (fill in your description), then if there is an existing site with the functions I want, "quora clone software", "ebay clone software"

I don't know what you want for a brokerage site, trading, monitors, so try your own combinations.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I always Google "open source _________ software", "open source _________ web" (fill in your description), then if there is an existing site with the functions I want, "quora clone software", "ebay clone software"

I don't know what you want for a brokerage site, trading, monitors, so try your own combinations.

Thanks. I tried brokerage model platform etc. and other variations, and all I have got is brokerage companies lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.