The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Here is why your IDEA means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Idea threads

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
I've been on this site a few years and some may remember I had an idea for a Social Music App. I even started a log on it which has been moved to the inside. Well development on that stalled and all I have now are the design files.

Fast forward to today and Twitter launches a social music app JUST like the one I had started except mine was mobile
Twitter Launches #Music Service - IGN

Yes, I had a great idea.
Yes, the market has requested this.
Yes, I started to implement it

BUT, I moved to fast and made other mistakes that caused the development to stall. IMPLEMENTATION IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL!

You have to get your mindset set to doing and doing correctly and efficient.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Really? The message I see from people all over this board, including MJ himself, is that taking action trumps everything.....including efficiency and doing everything correct. You took action, but you obviously didn't have the financial muscle that twitter has. With the right funds, even a crappy product can do well with the appropriate marketing in place. Walmart sells a product that I will (sort of) be competing against. It is so inferior to my product. But because it is still a growing niche, i am confident we will do very well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
including MJ himself, is that taking action trumps everything.

Uh, I think he is saying that ... but not just "action", but reoccurring action. Consistent action is the only thing that delivers results. I think he is saying he "stalled" on the reoccurring part.

Likewise, eating a kilo of vegetables for a meal isn't going to make you healthy whereas doing it for 6 months will.

S

stranger

Yes, a crappy idea + action + money = success. A great idea + action - money = peanuts or nothing. Your idea is a car, your actions are the car's wheels and money is gas for that car.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Uh, I think he is saying that ... but not just "action", but reoccurring action. Consistent action is the only thing that delivers results. I think he is saying he "stalled" on the reoccurring part.

Likewise, eating a kilo of vegetables for a meal isn't going to make you healthy whereas doing it for 6 months will.

This is exactly what I mean, thank you for explaining that better than me, lol

flintinatux

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jul 22, 2012
Cartersville, GA
This is exactly the problem that I have. I flit from project to project like a hummingbird in a field of flowers. "Oh! This product looks cool! I'll start importing!" "I see a gap in the SEO market! I'll write an app to fill it!" And I'll put lots of action into them, filling my free time with productive activities.

Until a couple months later, I lose interest. Or convince myself that some small setback is more like a death sentence. Or find a new exciting project and abandon the current project for that one... and the cycle repeats.

Consistent, patient, determined action. That's what I need. Thanks for the reminder guys.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

D

DeletedUser2

AWESOME!

CONGRATULATIONS!

i'm super excited for you!

having your teeth kicked down your throat like that will make you MUCH MORE LIKELY to actually get off your a$$ next time and close the deal!!!

Z

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
This is not the tabloids, please learn to word topics correctly. "IDEA without proper and relentless execution means absolutely nothing" would be better. The right idea means everything too.

ToonMike

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 8, 2013
Really? The message I see from people all over this board, including MJ himself, is that taking action trumps everything.....including efficiency and doing everything correct. You took action, but you obviously didn't have the financial muscle that twitter has. With the right funds, even a crappy product can do well with the appropriate marketing in place. Walmart sells a product that I will (sort of) be competing against. It is so inferior to my product. But because it is still a growing niche, i am confident we will do very well.

I agree with you. But I also think OP has stated that already

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
AWESOME!

CONGRATULATIONS!

i'm super excited for you!

having your teeth kicked down your throat like that will make you MUCH MORE LIKELY to actually get off your a$$ next time and close the deal!!!

Z

:iagree:

Looks like he had a great concept! Kudos and godspeed on the next venture

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
The opportunity is still out there as no one has completed dominated the market and tech companies are being bought every day. This was just an example of what MJ states, execution is everything.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
This is not the tabloids, please learn to word topics correctly. "IDEA without proper and relentless execution means absolutely nothing" would be better. The right idea means everything too.

Sorry, but I think he worded the topic just right. Ideas really don't mean ANYTHING on their own. A mediocre idea executed well is going to be more successful than a really great idea executed terribly, and WAY better than a fantastic idea that never leaves the idea stage. It just is what it is.

Hell, people have great ideas all the freaking time. That's why it's stupid to worry about someone stealing an idea, since probability shows us that they aren't likely to do anything with it and why non-disclosure agreements at the "idea stage" are a waste of time.

The Op's experience has definitely happened to me before, at least once. I don't think we can hear this message too often - and it's great to read personal examples of how this concept is actually TRUE.

Beau

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 8, 2013
Couldn't agree more with the OP. Many times I have come up with great ideas only to get stuck in the development stage, believing that I would come back to it as soon as I was finished with my current project, when all along I had more than enough time to dedicate to both.

A few things have really helped me in the last year; One was an epiphany that I could have accomplished so much more than I already had, if I had just chosen to forgo so many pointless time wasting distractions. Second was Provigil. Thank you very much to whoever invented that. The third and most recent was "The Millionaire Fastlane ", which has definitely lit a fire under my a$$.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Yes, a crappy idea + action + money = success. A great idea + action - money = peanuts or nothing. Your idea is a car, your actions are the car's wheels and money is gas for that car.

It's funny how you blame everything related to lack of money in every post ...

I was living check by check 1 year ago and now that I made some money I can leverage it and go even faster to make more ..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.