The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help with Structuring Licensing Deal

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I'm in the middle of negotiating a licensing deal where I will gain merchandising rights to someone else's IP and use it to make a product.

I'm seeking ways to make an attractive offer without exposing myself to too much risk, and I'm getting hung up in the details of the minimum guarantee. I have offered a 15% royalty, with a $12k MG, but my worry is that there isn't enough demand for the product to support that MG. It's a high-end product, with a high price-tag (mid $100s).

I have created a 3D mockup of the product and created a facebook group that is generating some buzz, but not the level of interest that would give me 100% confidence in the products success. Further, the licensor asked me to remove all of the photos until an official agreement is signed, so I am unable to continue to create/gauge interest unfortunately.

My current offer is to put $2,000 down, which would allow me to make a prototype and pre-sell the product. If there is enough demand, measured by the number of pre-orders over a specific time, then we would move forward with the agreement, and another $10,000 would be owed on the MG. This offers me protection, but it's not very appealing to the licensor since they pretty much lose their guarantee. Long story short, they're not showing a lot of enthusiasm for these terms.

Are there other ways to protect myself from being on the hook for $10k for a product that might flop?

@Vigilante

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm in the middle of negotiating a licensing deal where I will gain merchandising rights to someone else's IP and use it to make a product.

I'm seeking ways to make an attractive offer without exposing myself to too much risk, and I'm getting hung up in the details of the minimum guarantee. I have offered a 15% royalty, with a $12k MG, but my worry is that there isn't enough demand for the product to support that MG. It's a high-end product, with a high price-tag (mid $100s).

I have created a 3D mockup of the product and created a facebook group that is generating some buzz, but not the level of interest that would give me 100% confidence in the products success. Further, the licensor asked me to remove all of the photos until an official agreement is signed, so I am unable to continue to create/gauge interest unfortunately.

My current offer is to put $2,000 down, which would allow me to make a prototype and pre-sell the product. If there is enough demand, measured by the number of pre-orders over a specific time, then we would move forward with the agreement, and another $10,000 would be owed on the MG. This offers me protection, but it's not very appealing to the licensor since they pretty much lose their guarantee. Long story short, they're not showing a lot of enthusiasm for these terms.

Are there other ways to protect myself from being on the hook for $10k for a product that might flop?

@Vigilante

I saw the bat signal. Check your PM.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Some things for the rest of you to think about :

1. The deal I am doing currently has a minimum guarantee, but since I put in a 6 month development window and then the first YEAR for the minimum guarantee, the guarantee doesn't require payment until 18 months from the deals inception
2. A lot happens in 18 months
3. If a lot doesn't happen in 18 months, then you face that problem THEN, not NOW
4. No PERSONAL guarantee accompanies a minimum guarantee (read between the lines on what I just said there)
5. Achieving the minimum annual guarantee can be a trigger for an auto renewal
6. The best deal I did for a speculative product had NO minimum annual guarantee (but then a high license %).
7. I always want the minimum annual guarantee to be a no-brainer and/or something I could cover without breaking the bank

DO NOT LET RISK GET IN THE WAY OF MAKING SOMETHING HAPPEN. Risk is inherent in almost any great deal.

::end of soap box::

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
So, question.....which side usually has the better end of the deal? The licensee or licensor?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
So, question.....which side usually has the better end of the deal? The licensee or licensor?
A licensing arrangement is kind of like a partnership in that both sides want success. It should be structured as a win-win.

In general, the licensee should be receiving more profits overall since they’re doing all of the work. The licensor will receive a relatively small royalty for an extremely small amount of work, if any.

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
A licensing arrangement is kind of like a partnership in that both sides want success. It should be structured as a win-win.

In general, the licensee should be receiving more profits overall since they’re doing all of the work. The licensor will receive a relatively small royalty for an extremely small amount of work, if any.

Well that was my bit of confusion. Because to
Me in my opinion. I thought the licensor got paid a little more since they own the Intellectual property. I know the licensee does more
Work. But it’s just how my mind wondered. I haven’t done any licensing deal so I wouldn’t know thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.