The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help Stop Cannibalism

Marketing, social media, advertising

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hey all!

So I've got this ad campaign going on AdWords, and my two ad groups are cannibalizing each other. How do I remedy this?

I've got two ad groups with one keyword a piece.

Campaign: Ana's MT
Ad Group 1: +mothers +day +cards // Keyword is the same.
Ad Group 2: +inexpensive +mothers +day +cards // Keyword is the same.

There are also two different ads for each group. The ad for group 1 reads "Best Mothers Day Cards - Free Shipping over $25."

The ad for the second reads "Cheap Mothers Day Cards - Free Shipping Over $25."

However, I notice the cannibalism when I google "inexpensive mothers day cards," and the Best Cards ad shows up!

How do I fix this?

(As a side question - anyone ever click on your own ad by accident? Do you just cost yourself the click?)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can I move this outside?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
add inexpensive as a negative keyword to the SKAG for +mothers +day +cards

edit: also consider putting +best +mothers +day +cards into its own SKAG. May not be necessary, but something to consider to maximize the relevance of the keyword to the search query

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
add inexpensive as a negative keyword to the SKAG for +mothers +day +cards

edit: also consider putting +best +mothers +day +cards into its own SKAG. May not be necessary, but something to consider to maximize the relevance of the keyword to the search query

Thanks! Done and done. Also made a separate one for +cute +mothers +day +cards -inexpensive -cheap

All AGs also have keyword inclusive ads.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Next question - forgive me if I'm hogging the feed, tends to be a habit of mine.

If I'm setting up a conversion pixel for my client's site (I want to be able to track ROI, things look a little...bad.)

Their conversion rate on their site is 1% with an average ticket of $35. Right now it's looking like our average CPC is $1.25. This doesn't seem like it's predisposed to profitability. (But maybe this Visits-to-Sale Rate changes once we start driving properly driven traffic to this site?)

Anyway - I'm setting up a conversion tracker, and I'm a bit confused on how conversion windows work, and which settings to use. Recommendations?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Good rule of thumb is 30 days for the window, as for the attribution model I recommend the time decay model.

Here's why:

if you have a campaign set up for mid funnel and bottom funnel keywords, you need a way to separate the contribution from each set of keywords to the desired conversion. If someone clicks an ad related to a mid funnel keyword and comes back a week later and clicks on an ad with a lower funnel keyword, the first (mid funnel) keyword will get some of the credit. This is important because if you just use the "last click" model, the bottom funnel keyword gets all the credit - and you might wrongly conclude the mid funnel ads have no value. Vice versa if you use the "first click" model.

I don't really see a downside to the time decay model and have switched over all my accounts to it. In the limiting case that the visitor clicked only one ad and made the desired conversion, it gives the same results as the last click attribution model.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
also, make sure you're tracking the value of the conversion and not leaving it at the default of 1. Google the instructions for doing that - I don't remember off the top of my head.

This is important because you'll find that some keywords/ads lead to larger order sizes than others. If you're just optimizing for absolute conversions, you'll be treating a keyword that turns into a $0.99 sale the same as one that leads to a $20 sale. Chances are high the $0.99 conversion is not profitable, while the other one may have an ROAS of 8 or 10.

AND make sure you do the following

setup a branded campaign (i.e. bid on the brand name of the company). This is really cheap traffic, tends to convert well, and keeps competitors from appearing above you in the SERP.

Install the remarketing tag right away. You can't use remarketing until you have at least 1000 visitors, but the sooner you start building up that list the better. When you're building your audience lists, set the window at 90 days

If you need more detailed help, shoot me a PM and we can skype.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
also, make sure you're tracking the value of the conversion and not leaving it at the default of 1. Google the instructions for doing that - I don't remember off the top of my head.

This is important because you'll find that some keywords/ads lead to larger order sizes than others. If you're just optimizing for absolute conversions, you'll be treating a keyword that turns into a $0.99 sale the same as one that leads to a $20 sale. Chances are high the $0.99 conversion is not profitable, while the other one may have an ROAS of 8 or 10.

AND make sure you do the following

setup a branded campaign (i.e. bid on the brand name of the company). This is really cheap traffic, tends to convert well, and keeps competitors from appearing above you in the SERP.

Install the remarketing tag right away. You can't use remarketing until you have at least 1000 visitors, but the sooner you start building up that list the better. When you're building your audience lists, set the window at 90 days

If you need more detailed help, shoot me a PM and we can skype.
You're a blessing man - I'd love to hop on skype. Maybe I can teach you a little French/German/Spanish to compensate the time. I'll shoot you a pm.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hey all!

So I've got this ad campaign going on AdWords, and my two ad groups are cannibalizing each other. How do I remedy this?

I've got two ad groups with one keyword a piece.

Campaign: Ana's MT
Ad Group 1: +mothers +day +cards // Keyword is the same.
Ad Group 2: +inexpensive +mothers +day +cards // Keyword is the same.

There are also two different ads for each group. The ad for group 1 reads "Best Mothers Day Cards - Free Shipping over $25."

The ad for the second reads "Cheap Mothers Day Cards - Free Shipping Over $25."

However, I notice the cannibalism when I google "inexpensive mothers day cards," and the Best Cards ad shows up!

How do I fix this?

(As a side question - anyone ever click on your own ad by accident? Do you just cost yourself the click?)

@Andy Black did a post on this very thing I seem to remember. He talks about the sales funnel and why/how this sort of thing happens. Go to his profile and click on his adword posts. I can't remember the title, however it's fairly early on.

However before that, have you simply tried adding inexpensive as a negative keyword for Best Cards ad?

Also are you keeping an eye on the search terms used for both campaigns? You'll probably find the answers in there.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
@Andy Black did a post on this very thing I seem to remember. He talks about the sales funnel and why/how this sort of thing happens. Go to his profile and click on his adword posts. I can't remember the title, however it's fairly early on.

However before that, have you simply tried adding inexpensive as a negative keyword for Best Cards ad?

Also are you keeping an eye on the search terms used for both campaigns? You'll probably find the answers in there.
Yes - I remember this post. I'll have to take a second look over it!

And yeah, the search terms are all pretty inconsistent, hahaha. However I made the changes with the negative keywords, added a second and third ad group too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.