The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Austin

dls

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 11, 2011
Hello everyone from Ausin, TX.
It is fascinating how life works out sometimes. How so?
Here we go: I wrote a book several years ago. Well, 14 years ago to be exact. I am ashamed to admit that I have left that much time go before wanting to take action.
You see, back 1994 I was in the Air Force. I had done tons of reading about investing in stocks, real estate, etc. I had one year left in the Air Force when I used my VA loan to purchase a 4-plex rental property. A VA loan is available to veterans and allows one to purchase a property with zero money down. Heck, not only did I not use any of my own money, I walked away from closing with money in my hand from the seller paying some closing costs and me getting the pro-rated rents. My wife and I lived in one of the units while the other 3 rents covered all the costs. We lived for free until I sold the property 2 years later at a profit of $53,000. In fact, since I put zero dollars down I cannot calculate my return on investment, but let’s say it was 53,000%. Not bad for a 24 year old kid. Well, I took that money and through a tax-deferred exchange purchased 2 more 4-plexes when we moved to Austin. Though I eventually sold out of both properties I again lived for free for several years and made a significant profit when I sold.
Well, I wrote a book about how other Veterans could do the same as I did. I added chapters on dealing with tenants, advertising, collecting rents, maintenance, etc. Now, at the time all that was available was traditional publishing. Though I briefly looked at getting it professionally edited, I was told at the time that if I sold the rights I might get $25k. It did not seem worth my time.
Here we come full circle to my intro about how fascinating life can work out. Last week I had to move offices. During the move I came across my original manuscript. The very next day I found this crazy book on Amazon entitled, “The Millionaire Fastlane .†How serendipitous is that?
Needless to say I am recharged to begin a serious revision and rewrite of my manuscript and begin the hard work of getting it out there and marketing it.
Oh, anyone know of a professional editor?
Hopefully I can come back here in a year or two, or more, and have a success story to tell. J

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I dont live in Austin, but if you guys every wanted to get together I would be up for that too...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great story!! Welcome to the board -- seems like lots of people here from Austin.

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
Austin is my absolute favorite city in the US. For a few years I rented a small apt on South 1st. I would work in NYC and fly to Austin every weekend. Tried to find a decent job in Austin for years but just didn't come close to what I made here. Still those were good times. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ready2bfamous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 4, 2010
PCB, Florida
This is the place to be if you are looking to start something up and you want to be in the action. I freaking love Austin, not only for the weather but the energy that this town brings.

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
I am at South 1st too!! Over by the deaf school!!!

I was over at the Timbercreek Apartments. Had a little shitty $450 studio up til 2008. During the week in NYC I would sleep on my couch at work, stay with friends or at my moms. Friday night I would hop on a plane and fly down to Austin. Had girls up here and girls down there. Other then living like a nomad it wasn't that expensive. $1600 a month to live like this. But having a good time in Austin is cheaper so if may have worked out to even less.

Wasn't a sustainable lifestyle but it was alot of fun and one of the more interesting times in my life.

Ready2bfamous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 4, 2010
PCB, Florida
I was over at the Timbercreek Apartments. Had a little shitty $450 studio up til 2008. During the week in NYC I would sleep on my couch at work, stay with friends or at my moms. Friday night I would hop on a plane and fly down to Austin. Had girls up here and girls down there. Other then living like a nomad it wasn't that expensive. $1600 a month to live like this. But having a good time in Austin is cheaper so if may have worked out to even less.

Wasn't a sustainable lifestyle but it was alot of fun and one of the more interesting times in my life.

Sounds like it, but that actually seems like it would be a good experience. Leave it to the weekends. I want to have travel areas where I park myself and do whatever then fly where I need to have fun. Heh...

dls

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 11, 2011
Wow, great to see so many others from Austin!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...