The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello Fastlaners!

Fatrys

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Jul 5, 2016
Paris, France
Hello everyone! I already read some really good threads on this forum and thought time was ripe for an introduction, so here it is.

Since I was a little boy, I was already interested in (big) money, but not for the good reasons... Yes, I wanted to own a nice car (In fact I still want :)), a big house and being able to buy everything without wondering if it costs too much. I knew there was some liberty in having money but obviously now I understand that wealth is so much more than that!

I'm currently in a Engineering School in France learning "Industrial Engineering" and will graduate next year (I'm 21). Don't ask me, I just don't know why I ended up here...Mmmh, maybe because my parents are engineers or like almost everyone else, I was taught the same thing: "Go to the best schools, get good grades, and then you can have a well-paid job and you might end up being a high-ranked executive at 60 who wasted his most precious asset: time". In fact, that's what most people I know think they will do... How sad!
Worse still, I'm always having a hard time discussing it; I'm regarded as "crazy" when I say I don't want to work my entire life like that and still not have much free time or "enough" money.

I'm like: What?! That's what life is all about? Live just 2 days every week your entire life and unconsciously let time pass by and realize after years that these were wasted?

I knew there HAS to be another way. There are people "living the life" whether on TV, the internet or in the real life. Yet what we are taught to do (Get a job etc) does not allow us to live this kind of life. Other people may be OK with that, but I will do everything to avoid it. Moreover, in France, sadly most people tend to resent wealthy people and think they're all crooks. My mother told me a story of a friend of her who parked his Porsche in a "average parking lot" where most cars would cost under €20,000. His car was scuffed... Still, everyone wants to be a crook! These people criticize the rich yet the only thing they do is watching reality TV shows and change the world on Facebook (and go on strike).

I'm tired of my mother telling me to save the maximum amount of money I can, just like her. She is as MJ wrote in his book, a "millionaire next-door". She is still loking every week for the best offers at the hypermarket and is proud to tell me she may have saved a large sum of money over her lifetime doing that. But what's the purpose of it? I tell her that she could enjoy life more, work less, but she tells me she already has everything. When I go on a week-end, she always reminds me : "huh, think of your next intership, start acquiring every sort of skills so that you may me "worth" more in the market place, no time for the week-ends...":meh:
I guess I cannot criticize her too harshly for it because she was born in a slum and worked her way out of poverty by studying. That was her only exit. Now she earns a 6-figures salary.
As a result, even if she's ok with me being an entrepreneur, she still looks at a well-paid job as the best and most secure option.
I finally told to her that don't need any money from her for she always wants to make me feel guilty for spending money that comes from her hard work (even if half my money comes from my work). I really meant it but I know she will still give it to me... Please note that I'm not a spendthrift despite the fact that I live with no financial constraints so I'm quite lucky.
I don't want to win the lottery because I consider it not to be "good" money; also I want to tell people that what made me rich was that I created something.

My stepmother finally has become a plant manager at 58 and also makes a 6-figures income. But here's the thing: she works every day from 8a.m. until 9p.m. or 10p.m. When she's back home, she eats something in front of the TV with my father and then goes to sleep. Consequently, she's not very fit and takes some pills to improve her condition (yes she's searching for the "event").

Regarding my father, while having a job as an engineer, he's quite free: he does not have to be every day at the office, he travels a lot in Asia and earns a steady income (he won't tell me about the amount though). So he goes running almost everyday! Yet he's still not quite free from his time.

I'm currently doing an internship in a multinational company in Luxembourg and I realized one more time that I do not want to live like that. I already hate office work even if there are some tasks I can get really interested in. The "9 to 5" is worse than I expected. Actually, I'm writing this at the office. However, it is a paid-intership so I cannot complain too much :greedy:.

As you may have guessed, I read The Millionaire Fastlane . I finished it 2 days ago and now I'm here. However, it's been 2 years since I've postponed reading it for I considered it a book amonsgt thousands that tells you about a "revolutionary method to get rich without even noticing it"... But no, IT'S THE DAMN REAL THING and the most eye-opener book I ever read! I can fully resonate with your book MJ.
The other books preached the Slowlane and until 2 days ago, I thought to myself that it was the thing I'll have to do: Save 10% of my income and invest it and hope the market will go well alongside expecting a 3% payraise every year...

It has been 2 years since I'm really interested in doing something of my life: Living on purpose, being useful to society...and it is all the more true now that I've read TMF . I've read many books but I wish I had started with this one. I understand willingness to do something is not enough, it must be combined with repeated action towards my goals.
I was used to say that I will start something for real once I graduate, but no, there will always be "better days" than today, and if I don't act NOW, those days may never come true.

Having the opportunity to be a member of this forum is awesome. I just want to thank everyone for being part of my journey, and of course one day I may help many for there is no better feeling that knowing you have helped other people improve their lives. Meanwhile, I will keep on reading some excellent threads!

Please feel free to tone down my words if necessary. Long intro I know...Hope it was interesting enough for you lest you may have wasted your time.

Have a wonderful day!:tiphat:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...