The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Heated bath mat/heated rug?

natopotato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Aug 23, 2012
MI
My feet get cold sitting at my desk at home, unless I wear socks, which I hate. Heated rugs are more prevalent in Japan, but not so much here. In fact, I couldn't find one good indoor rug that I would want in my home. Nor did I find any heated bath mats. This has been an idea I've been tossing around for a year, but always gets bumped to the back of my brain. Having said all that, I have a couple questions to bounce off your skulls:
1. Would anybody actually buy one, or would you rather put on socks/blanket/snuggie?

2. The wires are awfully unsightly, especially if you had a heated bathmat, a lot of outlets are up high on the wall in the bathroom, any way around that?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I think a heated rug would be great for lounging in front of the TV. Would I actually buy one? Hmmm...it depends on the price, style, etc. I keep my house fairly toasty, so I don't feel like I need it so much at home. Plus, I live in Alabama, which has more warm weather than cold. But I do think it's interesting that they're popular in Japan, but not here. I could definitely see where this might have some potential.

About a heated bathmat, that sounds comfy, but potentially dangerous. If there were a way around the inconvenience of the plug height and the potential for electricution (due to water and electricity not mixing very well), hmmm...I just don't know.

I do keep a heated "rug" of sorts under my desk at work though, and I absolutely adore it. It looks like a floormat, and it's terrific.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I would definitely use one for my dorm room where the floor is very cold! Also for use in the bathroom, perhaps paired with a heated towel rack...it could be the perfect duo!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I would definitely use one for my dorm room where the floor is very cold!

Oooh, I like that dorm room idea! That's a place where someone doesn't control the overall temperature, so a heated rug might be just the thing.

natopotato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Aug 23, 2012
MI
Didn't think of the dorm either! It is a promising idea. As for the bathmat, if I recall correctly I think I found heating elements that used some sort of carbon fiber weave instead of metal heating elements, which would eliminate the post-shower zapping...

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Oooh, I like that dorm room idea! That's a place where someone doesn't control the overall temperature, so a heated rug might be just the thing.

There actually IS a thermostat in my dorm! On the downside the dorm has the old gas powered metal heaters, and they make such a racket and it keeps me up! So sometimes I will just leave it on up until I need to sleep and then turn it off and hope it stays warm for a little while! But I definitely would get one for a dorm room, and I am sure TONS of college students will too!

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
I asked my brother last night who lives in a hard wood floored apartment and has several roommates. He lives in SF, CA (and yes, it’s COLD there) and just got out of college. Here’s what I asked
“Would you or any of your roommates be interested in a heated floor mat if I bought it for you guys for x-mas?”
The 5 of them declined. BUT don’t despair…
There are mats out there that heat up (and don’t have power cords)….and right now they are created primarily for pets (at least from what I know).

Amazon.com: Slumber Pet Thermal Cat Mat - BEIGE: Pet Supplies

(if this site doesn’t come up, just type in Pet Thermal Cat Mat on amazon)

So…..there is a potential market….a niche market…but a market. And like the snuggie (I’ll admit…I bought one for my grandmother)…..it most likely will have gimmick potential. But consider the fact that the Snuggie made millions….

natopotato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Aug 23, 2012
MI
As a guy, I decline any offers of gifts from family, not sure why. Must be a guy thing. Buuuutttt, I'm not too put off by them declining and it's awesome that you asked! I'm going to spend the weekend trying to answer my two questions above to see if these could be done in a non-tacky way.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'd sooner invest in heated floors (which do exist).

It's just not the kind of problem I would band-aid fix. I'd either get slippers or replace the floors.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.