The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Headspace meditation a great way to start

Anything related to matters of the mind

q-base

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 25, 2012
Denmark
There have been some threads about meditation, and especially how to get started. I had for some time used some of Jon Kabat-Zinn's stuff. They are 20 min. long and is quite good, but I have also found this to be just beyond, what I find optimal. I know that I should not complain about the length, since meditation is all about letting go - but as with everything else - it is all about finding what works for you.

Recently I stumpled upon Headspace which is a website and more importantly an app for iPhone and Android(As far as i know). The concept is a subscription service, where you get new meditation content on a regular basis, and thereby keeps the meditation interesting. It also revolves around a community that you can participate in if interested.

One of the guys behind it is this guy:

[video=youtube;qzR62JJCMBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzR62JJCMBQ[/video]

This video were the reason why I stumpled upon the app. The good thing is, that you for free, can get a 10-day trial, where each day consists of a new 10 min guided meditation sound-clip. I have completed the first 4-5 days, and there have not been that much new stuff in the guided meditations, from day to day, but my hope is that once completed, I will still have access to the "old" free 10 day meditations and then I can consider whether or not to subscribe. But despite not being that much renewal from day to day, I still find the guided meditation helps me quite a lot. They are even better than the Jon Kabat-Zinn stuff I used from time to time before. And I find that I use them more regularly.

This is a very good way to get introduced to meditation. There are some very helpfull instructional clips in the beginning, that if you are completely new to meditation, helps you on the right path, tells you what to expect from it, and maybe more importantly; what not to expect.

So to everybody that are looking for a way to start meditation, please have a look and see if this could help you along.

Just as a note - I have no economic interests in this site or company in any way, don't even know the guys behind it - this is just a heads-up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Anyone else using Headspace to meditate? I urge you to try out for yourselves!
I checked it out, but it really didn't do anything for me, since I've used so many different types of meditations over the last five years. I think it maybe helps beginners and those on the go and like short meditations. I think in my personal journey it's kind of like moving at different levels and deeper meditation and for longer periods of time. I suppose it's what you're trying to achieve and whether it's just for a few minutes, versus having more time to relax. Since there are various meditations on you tube free, I can't see the point of paying for meditations. Besides I should be scripting my own right now.

Second reason I think it matters how you learn meditation. I had a teacher to begin with and hearing a bunch of meditations I see how people just make meditations and really don't do a good job teaching people. And some don't know the difference between meditation techniques, visualization, and hypnotherapy, eft, asmr, and other things they mix in there. I suppose everyone learns in their own way. I'm just at a different stage of learning meditation at this point. My son, bf, friend tried this and thought it was nice, but than moved to other ones, so I'm not sure why other people I know don't stick with the head space. If it works for you that's all that matters.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
Great App!

I bought the full version after the 10 free meditations.

The good thing about this guided meditation is that there's just enough talking to get you back on track and away from distractions. I find some guided meditations there's too much talking or too much silence... good balance here.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I do not grow anymore
This is the whole key here. When you outgrow something, you can't learn from it anymore. It's just good to know when that point comes when you've learned everything you can from one source and move to another when you can further your growth.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Brain.fm worked quite well for me but Ive only used it for a couple sessions.

BEBOLD

Disregard Females, Acquire Currency
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 14, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I also recently started meditating after hearing about it countless times from successful people via podcasts or audiobooks.
Tried Headspace, but then switched to CALM since it has a female voice. So far pretty useful and it is only $45 per year.

Helps me start my day in the mornings, so I definitely recommend everyone to give it a try.

Apparently, TM(Transcendental Meditation) is the most popular among bunch of successful/famous people.

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
Anyone else using Headspace to meditate? I urge you to try out for yourselves!

Headspace/Meditation is by far the no. 1 thing that improved my life positively in every aspect of it in the past few months. I seem to be more calm in general, more empathetic, more driven in all matters (not only business), and I seem to enjoy my life more.

But beware, meditation will most likely enhance your self-awareness, which comes at a cost: you will have to sort out difficult questions like what you want to do with your life or what makes you happy. You might have to accept that some things should not be part of your life (like a job or negative people).

Headspace's first 10 lessons are free, so there is no risk in trying it out! Some of my friends seemed skeptical at first about the fact that Headspace is a form of guided meditation (and has a male voice to guide you). But don't let that stop you (especially if you're a beginner) since Headspace is designed to ultimately prepare you to meditate on your own without guidance. They want to let you experience all the positive effects and learn all about what to do and what not do when meditating. It's the same as going to a gym, you could learn everything by trial and error or you could hire a skilled personal trainer to fasten your development and ensure (by gamification) that you stay accountable.

I want to give back to this community because I learned so much around here (and still am). Here is a code for 1 free month of Headspace without any restrictions, you can access all courses: REW15-WRMQ95. You can enter it at https://www.headspace.com/code. First-come, first-served. Enjoy! (I got this code by meditating 15 days in a row, will post further codes when having finished another round.)

(I am in no way affiliated with Headspace. It is just one of my three favorite apps along Duolingo and Quora.)

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
I checked it out, but it really didn't do anything for me, since I've used so many different types of meditations over the last five years. I think it maybe helps beginners and those on the go and like short meditations. I think in my personal journey it's kind of like moving at different levels and deeper meditation and for longer periods of time. I suppose it's what you're trying to achieve and whether it's just for a few minutes, versus having more time to relax. Since there are various meditations on you tube free, I can't see the point of paying for meditations. Besides I should be scripting my own right now.

Second reason I think it matters how you learn meditation. I had a teacher to begin with and hearing a bunch of meditations I see how people just make meditations and really don't do a good job teaching people. And some don't know the difference between meditation techniques, visualization, and hypnotherapy, eft, asmr, and other things they mix in there. I suppose everyone learns in their own way. I'm just at a different stage of learning meditation at this point. My son, bf, friend tried this and thought it was nice, but than moved to other ones, so I'm not sure why other people I know don't stick with the head space. If it works for you that's all that matters.

I totally agree with you, everybody has to find his own path. I was totally new to meditation when I started Headspace, so it was a great fit. I might move on to other tools when I feel that I do not grow anymore (have finished around 150 sessions so far). Someone pm'ed me with a mention of Calm.com as another alternative to Headspace.

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
Great App!

I bought the full version after the 10 free meditations.

The good thing about this guided meditation is that there's just enough talking to get you back on track and away from distractions. I find some guided meditations there's too much talking or too much silence... good balance here.

I agree, I like the balance. By the way, the co-founder (Andy), who guides through the meditations, mentioned in an interview to always mix in one of the "Pro Headspace" packages after finishing one of the normal packs. The pro packs seem to be specifically designed to lead you to a minimally guided meditation.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
I agree, I like the balance. By the way, the co-founder (Andy), who guides through the meditations, mentioned in an interview to always mix in one of the "Pro Headspace" packages after finishing one of the normal packs. The pro packs seem to be specifically designed to lead you to a minimally guided meditation.

Smart guy... of course he'd recommend that ;)

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
@EvanOkanagan
Haha.. I think you misunderstood me there. The "Headspace Pro" packages are part of the standard subscription, there is no upsell, it's really just a recommendation on how to use the app.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
I tried the first 2 sessions and checked out his website. I like how he simplifies everything. Must needed in 2015-2016. Get control of our brains back...

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Headspace is great what I did not like was that after 10 sessions you have to pay to move on. I strongly suggest trying "Insight Timer" which gives you access to around 5000 thousand different kind of meditations and works as a social network.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.