The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Has Moving out of Parent's House Benefited Your Business

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi Guys!

I am pretty sure some of you at one stage left comfortable pillows, bed and comfortable environment in order to pursue your business. I am interested in hearing stories of what impact has moving out of your parents' house had on your business success? Was it beneficial? If so, why?

NOTE: For 3 years I had been living in a different town, but moved back to my parents' house 2 years ago in order to finish my Masters degree and put my life on track after breaking up with my girlfriend. I am planning to move to Spain in March, my expenses will be even lower than now and changing my location should have no impact whatsoever on my business functionality, plus coming back to my parents' house will always be possible and relatively cheap. This is the reason why I am asking if leaving your parents' house in order to progress your business was a smart move.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
I am planning to move to Spain in March

why Spain?

i have moved out of my parents house at age 18. now i am 30 married with 2 kids. my JOB required it.
if you only tell whatever about entrepreneurism to your parents they will try to deconstruct it. because of the risk factor. and they can make you less concetrated and less productive because of that.
if this is your problem, then stop telling about it. stay with them as long as you like if you don't tell them what you are doing.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
why Spain?

i have moved out of my parents house at age 18. now i am 30 married with 2 kids. my JOB required it.
if you only tell whatever about entrepreneurism to your parents they will try to deconstruct it. because of the risk factor. and they can make you less concetrated and less productive because of that.
if this is your problem, then stop telling about it. stay with them as long as you like if you don't tell them what you are doing.

Because I had been living in Spain for almost 3 years and was fluent in Spanish before coming to Ireland with my family. I want to build my business and recover Spanish language at the same time.

As per family, I am living with my mother. She used to try to discourage me of running a business when I was younger, but now she realizes the passion is real and the shit got serious with office rented and customers filling-up my e-mail box with requests. So, my mother is now telling me to keep going, she's demanding me to establish my own business, because, according to her, by working for someone I will never be satisfied - her attitude change is amazing.

Last edited:

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
Hi Guys!

I am pretty sure some of you at one stage left comfortable pillows, bed and comfortable environment in order to pursue your business. I am interested in hearing stories of what impact has moving out of your parents' house had on your business success? Was it beneficial? If so, why?

NOTE: For 3 years I had been living in a different town, but moved back to my parents' house 2 years ago in order to finish my Masters degree and put my life on track after breaking up with my girlfriend. I am planning to move to Spain in March, my expenses will be even lower than now and changing my location should have no impact whatsoever on my business functionality, plus coming back to my parents' house will always be possible and relatively cheap. This is the reason why I am asking if leaving your parents' house in order to progress your business was a smart move.

I know this is a different situation but one of the businesses I had in the past started whilst living with parents. I can remember so many things like being up at 3am printing delivery sheets. The company that delivered my products knocking the front door at 5am. Obviously it wasn't great as it was a small house with 4 adults living there. So basically for peace of mind and to eradicate the negativity surrounding me and the business I moved out. My bills went from £200pm to £1000pm but production multiplied 10 times over. I had my spare room as my office and it didn't matter if a customer called at midnight, I could answer. I made more money that year than I think anyone in my family has ever made in a year.

That business ultimately failed because of lack of knowledge. I had no idea what I was doing really, I was just taking massive action but got stuck and couldn't progress any further. I sold that and moved back with my parents. Fast forward 3-4 years. I wouldn't even go back if I had no money left after bills, I don't know your parents but if they are anything like my own, moving out is one of the best things you can do. Independence, freedom. Brilliant.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I know this is a different situation but one of the businesses I had in the past started whilst living with parents. I can remember so many things like being up at 3am printing delivery sheets. The company that delivered my products knocking the front door at 5am. Obviously it wasn't great as it was a small house with 4 adults living there. So basically for peace of mind and to eradicate the negativity surrounding me and the business I moved out. My bills went from £200pm to £1000pm but production multiplied 10 times over. I had my spare room as my office and it didn't matter if a customer called at midnight, I could answer. I made more money that year than I think anyone in my family has ever made in a year.

That business ultimately failed because of lack of knowledge. I had no idea what I was doing really, I was just taking massive action but got stuck and couldn't progress any further. I sold that and moved back with my parents. Fast forward 3-4 years. I wouldn't even go back if I had no money left after bills, I don't know your parents but if they are anything like my own, moving out is one of the best things you can do. Independence, freedom. Brilliant.

Thanks for response. What would you attribute your increased business performance to? Your increased self-worth? Flexible work environment? Environmental or mental factors?

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
Thanks for response. What would you attribute your increased business performance to? Your increased self-worth? Flexible work environment? Environmental or mental factors?

Definitely each one. I felt better about myself because I was making my own way in life. Also because you can set the way you live to your own needs. So it works for you. The flexible work environment made me feel at ease when performing tasks like using a printer at 3am, so less stress.

Also because personally I struggle with discipline greatly. I found that having to keep the grass cut, food shopping and even washing/ironing clothes helped/helps keep me methodical and in a routine.(as silly as that may sound)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.