The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

OFF-TOPIC Google Plus To Be Shut Down [New York Times]

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
That is just fabulous. Now we won't have to update our Google+ profile nobody cares about every time we want to change our Youtube profile picture.

Honestly, I don't think anyone will spend a second mourning the loss of this platform. I was a user once, as I ran a Youtube news channel at the time and was open to new mediums where I could reach more people.

Even then with all the hype... even with the fact you were forced to sign up if you wanted a Youtube account, and people claimed that it would be the "next Facebook"...

It was dead!

It's quite an example of how even the world's most powerful tech company can fail at launching a successful platform. But what did Google+ lack? Because to me, it seems like a wildly popular social media platform needs something special... something related to its very essence. It needs to have that je ne sais quoi.

What is it? I've no idea, and neither does Google seem to have. On the other hand, maybe they didn't even want it to be successful as a social network.

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
Awful news for the hundreds of google employees who will no longer be able to use their google plus accounts anymore....

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm waiting for Google to shut down Google Voice. Lots of people are going to be screwed. I have a number but I don't use it for business anymore because of the fact they shut down everything else and I don't want to be stranded.

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I'm waiting for Google to shut down Google Voice. Lots of people are going to be screwed. I have a number but I don't use it for business anymore because of the fact they shut down everything else and I don't want to be stranded.
Hopefully they'll send us a notification. Would be a good thing for them to ask us if we have a gmail or other backup channels to sent all our contacts or private info to, at least a few months before closure.

What is it? I've no idea, and neither does Google seem to have. On the other hand, maybe they didn't even want it to be successful as a social network.
Maybe something supplementary to our office work, the same way Google Docs and Slides work.
However, for the latter two, we have Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Somehow, Google Docs UI, even for simple text editing, bibliography formatting and scatterplot diagrams, is a mess.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Maybe something supplementary to our office work, the same way Google Docs and Slides work.

From the announcement on Google's Blog, it looks they're going to push this as Yammer or Facebook for Work alternative.

At the same time, we have many enterprise customers who are finding great value in using Google+ within their companies. Our review showed that Google+ is better suited as an enterprise product where co-workers can engage in internal discussions on a secure corporate social network. Enterprise customers can set common access rules, and use central controls, for their entire organization. We’ve decided to focus on our enterprise efforts and will be launching new features purpose-built for businesses. We will share more information in the coming days.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Read the free book, some excellent insights. I also did the website quiz and I did a visual on a...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom