The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google offers will soon compete with Groupon

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Here is the news today.

Google readies Groupon competitor | Digital Media - CNET News

From what I see, Google really like doing business at local. These are huge advantages for Google to tab into social buying.

• All their offers are listed on top of search result and their Adsense network.
  • All their verified local businesses on their Google places can setup their own deals and display on Google Map
  • People who buy the deal will use Google Checkout to process credit card
With track record of failure in social network (Google Buzz, Goolge wave), let's see how Google can play well this time.

What's your thoughts about this?

It's an encouragement to me. There is no market too crowd, too big or too small.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
IMO Groupon should have taken the money from their buy-out offer and ran!!! I wouldnt have even looked back!

mrshowtime3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Oct 6, 2008
pa
Yea, takes a lot of balls to turn down a 5 BILLION dollar offer. I realize Groupon is very successful right now, but you never know what tomorrow holds. If I can assure myself 5 billion im taking that without a second thought. It doesnt get much more fastlane then Groupon.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Even more fastlane when you consider they went from Launch to a 5-BILLION dollar offer in THREE YEARS!!!!

IMO they were NUTs to turn that down. I give the founder alot of credit though...he obviously believes in his product so more power to him. I just have a feeling he is going to regret passing up that offer very, very soon...

mrshowtime3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Oct 6, 2008
pa
Then you consider he turned down crazy money twice. Turned down 3 billion from Yahoo and 5 from Google. No way in a million years I could turn down that dough. Id take it and run. Buy a country. Buy a few pro sports teams.

Is this guy like Mark Zuckerberg and just not care that much about the money, or does he simply think his company will be valued at much more then that in the near future? Risk.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My question will be this.

We all have some brilliant ideas on our mind, how can we execute that well like Groupon does?

The hardest part is not creating or finding the idea, it's the execution.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
BTW, I am not surprise that 7 out of 10 local businesses I talk to don't know what Groupon is. So obviously, there are lots space to grow for Groupon clone or even better idea.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Two things here real quick

It was not a $6B cash deal is wasa certain amount of cash, stock and a lot of contingencies as i understood it to preform heavily. Thats not the best deal in the world

#2 I dont think google stuff will take, I realize google tries to compete but there is a point where the general public wants a unique exterience not one they get everyday with google. Not to mention google doesnt have the greatest track record for customer service and support, if it doesnt take, they cut support from it. How often do you get excellent WOW customer service emails back from them? almost never you get a cut and paste response if any. Thats parts of reasons why googles things aren't taking to me

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.