The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gold Buying books?

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Are there any recommended books or resources on purchasing gold?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Are you looking to buy gold stocks or actual gold?

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Actual Gold. I don't believe stocks or holding notes is safe when looking to gold as a security asset.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Actual Gold. I don't believe stocks or holding notes is safe when looking to gold as a security asset.

I don't think you need to read a book to do that. It's fairly simple and straight forward.

• Decide what you want to buy: coins, bullion, etc...
  • Go to a coin shop and purchase it
  • Take it home, ooh and ahhh over it for a few minutes and store it in a safe place
Based on my research, gold coins are more liquid than bullion. If you decide to go coins, you have to decide the weight and type. For example you can choose to go with 1oz coins like the Eagle, Maple Leaf or Kruggerand. The differences in pricing are the mark up above spot price.

If gold is at $900 an ounce. The eagle could be +$55, maple leaf +$35, kruggerand +$20. So the eagle would cost you $955.

If you decide to sell your coin back, the eagle could be +$35, maple leaf +$15, kruggerand +$0. So you see that there is a "commission" to buy and sell.

I've found that the local coin stores have much lower markups than online stores. Plus you have to pay for shipping. You should call around and shop prices in local shops also. The prices vary greatly. One store may have alot of Kruggerands so they may be cheaper than another.

For example, Blanchard Online has the 1oz. gold eagle for $1021. My local shop is at $1005.

There is no tax on purchases and all prices are cash only.

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
I am currently reading Rich Dads advisors Guide to investing in Gold & Silver. It is a great read so far.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I was pretty lucky to find a local store that seems to have good prices. Also the store owner wrote the book abc's of gold investing which has some pretty good reviews on amazon. I'm hoping to buy 2-3 coins before years end.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I was pretty lucky to find a local store that seems to have good prices. Also the store owner wrote the book abc's of gold investing which has some pretty good reviews on amazon. I'm hoping to buy 2-3 coins before years end.

I have the book ABCs of gold investing. It's very basic information, not worth the read IMO. I can mail it to you if you want.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
To be honest I still need some basic info. I appreciate the offer, but he sells it locally for about $5. Not worth the postage imo. Thank you though.

Are there any other gold books you might recommend?

Seshiro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Oct 14, 2009
I understand is not about gold, but "The Secret" is a book everyone should read, atleast to determine if how you feel about it.

bil, what year is that car in your avatar it looks very nice, and in great condition.

SaraK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
My plan is to buy some physical gold and silver as a hedge against the dollar devaluing, then invest in stocks - gold mining stocks or ETF funds - as a capital gains opportunity on what is likely to become a speculative gold bull market.

Does anyone have recommendations on how they determine the best gold/silver stocks to invest in?

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
SaraK: Please allow me to kindly suggest you consider scaling into gold funds or ETFs and then miner ETFs (GDX et. al.) before you begin to buy individual gold mining firms. I have bought and sold individual mining stocks for years now, it trades unlike any other sector and takes some time to learn.

Bilgefisher - some good beginner books:

(There is a reason to begin buying gold and silver as coins rather than rolled sheets, bullion, or nuggets):

The Coin Collector's Survival Manual. Scott Travers.

Guidebook ("Redbook"): Guidebook of United States Coins. (Redbook). R.S Yeoman. 2010 Edition.

Adventures in Rare Coins. Q. David Bowers

Gold Regulations. Department of the Treasury

The International Monetary Crisis. Committee on Finance, US Senate. Russell B. Long. Chair. May 1973.US Govt. Printing Office.

Procedures and Descriptions of Forms Office of Domestic Gold and Silver Operations. Department of the Treasury

Moneys of the Bible. R.S. Yeoman. Whitman Publishing, Racine, Wi. 1961. Illustrated.

Gold Coins of the World - Complete from 600A.D to 1958. Robert Friedberg. The Coin and Currency Institute, New York, New York.

The History of Currency: 1252-1896. W.A. Shaw. 1896. Reprint. Augustus M. Kelly. New York. 1967. Hardcover. 437 pages

Money: Who Has How Much and Why. Andrew Hackner. Scribner Press. 1987. Hardback. 254 pages.

Gold - The Yellow Devil. A Anikin. 1978. Translated and Printed in U.S.S.R International Publishers. 1983. Hardcover 244 pages.

A Treatise on Coins of the Realm. Charles Jenkinson. 1805. Reprint. Augustus M. Kelly. New York. 1968.

Reports:
http://www.ustic.com/advisors/PSU 2004.swf

Charts:
Dow Jones Industrials
APPROXIMITY Gold Charts - Gold, Silver, Dow Jones, FTSE 100, EUR, GBP, Inflation, Ratios
Historia.se - Historicalstatistics.org

Source for Numismatic Books:

USA Numismatics

George Manz Coins

George F. Kolbe - Auction 100, Part 3

MEDIEVAL & MODERN NUMISMATICS

MCCC Library Catalog

Bibliographic References, text only,lost link! - Coin Community Forum

A Review of Numismatic Literature by Mike Locke

tp://www.alibris.com/

http://www.stacks.com/books.php

http://www.antique-book-reviews.com/Coins/Coins_1.html

Sharefin's GOLDEN Bookstore

.: Yamaguchy Incorporated Yarmulka Inc :.

Book Glossary:
A BRIEF GLOSSARY OF BOOK TERMS

Just some food for thought...

Further - there is no ONE book on why/how to buy gold. Way to big a topic. There are a couple decent reads that set up the why, in a roundabout way: Grunch of Giants and Atlas Shrugged.

The best book on the topic I ever read was hand typed and bound. The witness of one man in his 80's who lived through more than you or I ever likely will - his last testament, really. I gave that hand-bound book away 20 years ago. The only thing I kinda regret giving away.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.