The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fututes trading -- COMEX Silver Options

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Exact

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 3, 2009
Hello,

I am a big silver bull who has been buying bullion holding companies such as CEF since 2001 and the silver ETF SLV since 2006.

I am currently with Charles Schwab, but saw that etrade allows their customers to purchase futures. Does anyone have experience with this? I recently purchased some $15 January 2010 calls on SLV, but this type of stock option is thinly traded and deeper calls (i.e. 2011 calls) are not available right now. I would love to get my hands on some COMEX 2013 Silver Options. IMHO, silver has nowhere to go but up.

Consider this: An ounce of silver is currently trading at 1 / 70th the price of an ounce of gold, which puts the spread between silver and gold close to a historical high. With governments -- not just the US, but MOST major governments -- in a race to devalue their currencies and reinflate assets, it feels like silver (and gold) could have a sharp upside in the near to intermediate future.

I also have done research and have reason to believe that the world silver inventories are in short supply. Unlike gold, which is used primarily as a financial instrument, silver is used for industrial purposes. Worlwide silver bullion inventories in 1990 were 2.1 billion ounces; today they have dropped below 400 million ounces. In other words, silver inventories have dropped by more than 80% in the past 20 years, while the price of silver -- adjusted for inflation -- has been basically flat.

In the 1980's silver hit $49 per ounce, which is about $120 per ounce in today's dollars. If silver were to do the same thing today, that would make it a 10-bagger for someone who invests directly in the metal, nevermind the possible upside one could capture from buying options.

Best,
E

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
I'm biased because i've been trading with ThinkorSwim for 2 years now and I wouldn't consider going anywhere else. They do allow mini silver futures (/YI) and the big Comex Silver future contract (/ZI).

I have traded options on gold futures, but never silver futures. Are you sure options exist for silver futures? I just checked TOS and didn't see any contracts for /YI or /ZI, much less a contract for 2013.

Let me know if you find anything else, my guess is that if they do exist, the liquidity is so poor you'd be better off with the options on the ETFs.

Good to have another trader aboard. Good Luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.