The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From FTE in job interview to "lifestyle" entrepreneur in 10 years.

Share your FTE moment...

Marco L

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 6, 2017
Germany
Hi, I am Marco, I finished Unscripted yesterday.

A little about myself: After I had my MBA (about 10 years ago) I applied for several consulting jobs here in Germany. In one third round interview I had a tough host. We both collided and she told me to get lost (kind of). Looking back I would say, this was my FTE.

After that I started my first company. Linux and open source fan that I am, I started a company that sold laptops with Linux preinstalled to consumers. During that time I worked halftime in a company that created web sites. After a view years I accepted that the laptop company didn't make enough money. While being very profitable revenue was just to low.

So I decided to work at a company that creates intranet systems based on wikis (Atlassian Confluence). But having the self image of an entrenpreneur, I was shure that this would be only a limited period in my life. Not having a great business idea a the time, I decided to create an affiliate business. A test site for dating sites. Working full time as an employee at day and working till 2 am in evening to create my test blog I got lucky and could quit my day job 2.5 years later.

Add 2 more years and this where I am now: The affiliate business is creating between 70 and 120k a year - with a big weakness on Control and a smaller one on Entry. My workload is pretty low right now and I play a lot of tennis, BUT I am unshure about my identity right now. I lack a guiding star.

What actions will I do next: Starting on Thursday I will plan and soft proof a business idea I have.

PS: Aside from entrepreneurship I love my girl friend, playing tennis and good wine. And I am a strong supporter of OSS. My favorite book on entrepreneurship is Innovation And Entrepreneurship by Peter Drucker - Unscripted is in the top group. I dislike The Lean Startup and a-holes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Welcome @Marco L!

From the sound of it, it looks like while your business is going fairly well, you don't seem fulfilled with what you are doing.

I would recommend taking a look at this thread; it may put some things into perspective for you
Notable! - I've lost my identity as person (Legendary follows...)

While your situation is different than that of the OP, the same mindsets can still apply to yours. There are essential core concepts presented in that thread that are pure gold.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Hi, I am Marco, I finished Unscripted yesterday.

A little about myself: After I had my MBA (about 10 years ago) I applied for several consulting jobs here in Germany. In one third round interview I had a tough host. We both collided and she told me to get lost (kind of). Looking back I would say, this was my FTE.

After that I started my first company. Linux and open source fan that I am, I started a company that sold laptops with Linux preinstalled to consumers. During that time I worked halftime in a company that created web sites. After a view years I accepted that the laptop company didn't make enough money. While being very profitable revenue was just to low.

So I decided to work at a company that creates intranet systems based on wikis (Atlassian Confluence). But having the self image of an entrenpreneur, I was shure that this would be only a limited period in my life. Not having a great business idea a the time, I decided to create an affiliate business. A test site for dating sites. Working full time as an employee at day and working till 2 am in evening to create my test blog I got lucky and could quit my day job 2.5 years later.

Add 2 more years and this where I am now: The affiliate business is creating between 70 and 120k a year - with a big weakness on Control and a smaller one on Entry. My workload is pretty low right now and I play a lot of tennis, BUT I am unshure about my identity right now. I lack a guiding star.

What actions will I do next: Starting on Thursday I will plan and soft proof a business idea I have.

PS: Aside from entrepreneurship I love my girl friend, playing tennis and good wine. And I am a strong supporter of OSS. My favorite book on entrepreneurship is Innovation And Entrepreneurship by Peter Drucker - Unscripted is in the top group. I dislike The Lean Startup and a-holes.

WElcome, i love OSS i use Linux Mint atm! Iam wondering, why you dont try again to sell PCs pre installed with linux, by now you know a lot of internet marketing as Affialater and there is just one Competitor in germany Tuxedo computers right?

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
OSS guy here! Currently slowly migrating from Debian to OpenBSD.

Thinking of some sort of OSS business? Don't forget Open Source Hardware. Package that shit into something really useful like a kids computer or something? Another thing I have been thinking about is that it may be time to bring servers back into peoples homes? You know, own your data instead of FB, Google, Dropbox etc. have control of all your pictures of your kids.

Marco L

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 6, 2017
Germany
WElcome, i love OSS i use Linux Mint atm! Iam wondering, why you dont try again to sell PCs pre installed with linux, by now you know a lot of internet marketing as Affialater and there is just one Competitor in germany Tuxedo computers right?

The main reason for me is, that it is very hard to deliver great value. Most people who want a Linux laptop want their special distro, so it is very hard to create a compelling package - and Linux users are very price sensitive. They want great hardware at a low price. It's very hard to deliver that value. The razor-thin margins don't help either.

All Linux laptop distributors sell shit white label machines at a comparatively high price. I myself bought a ThinkPad again and will install the distro myself.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Seems like you're having some success already and you just need some minor tweaks!

Welcome aboard.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...