The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Career to Fastlane

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
Hi guys, long story short, need career advice on how to get to my fastlane.

I'm looking to use my W-2 job to fund my entrepreneurial pursuits. Currently I:
-work in accounting
-flip cars on the side
-started a clothing line to simply learn how to run an online business
- outsource a dog walking/cleaning gig

I want to fund other business ideas / multifamily real estate deals I'm pursuing

I'm in my last year of a finance degree which I've been trying to leverage into data science/ data analytics by learning programming and statistical software. I'm not a big techy though and wonder if sales would be a better route( have some young friends crushing it in sales right now - big income potential)

My question: What choice would be the best route to earn capital for my real goals?
- get into data science/data analytics
-sales
-continue in finance route (already have experience in the field)

Thank you guys. I'm so inspired by this forum, MJ and the fastlane. Greatly value your input!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NewYorkCity

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 7, 2011
Sales.. It will teach you the necessary skills, as well as some money/capital.... also plenty of free time to work on other ideas.

Edit:

Tech or Med Device are high paying, Closing a big tech or med device deal will make selling local business services seem like a joke.

Last edited:

Tilos

Process > Results
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 11, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Hi guys, long story short, need career advice on how to get to my fastlane.

I'm looking to use my W-2 job to fund my entrepreneurial pursuits. Currently I:
-work in accounting
-flip cars on the side
-started a clothing line to simply learn how to run an online business
- outsource a dog walking/cleaning gig

I want to fund other business ideas / multifamily real estate deals I'm pursuing

I'm in my last year of a finance degree which I've been trying to leverage into data science/ data analytics by learning programming and statistical software. I'm not a big techy though and wonder if sales would be a better route( have some young friends crushing it in sales right now - big income potential)

My question: What choice would be the best route to earn capital for my real goals?
- get into data science/data analytics
-sales
-continue in finance route (already have experience in the field)

Thank you guys. I'm so inspired by this forum, MJ and the fastlane. Greatly value your input!

Awesome! I would definitely hyper-focus on sales since that's the bulk of your entrepreneurial route. The good thing is, you're using your W-2 income to supplement your business. Keep doing that, and know that you'll be one step closer to your goals.

Out of curiosity, when are you allocating your time to pursue your side hustles? Are you seeing that works then focus on that? I'd recommend picking one that is making the most profit and spend time on that.

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
So looks like everyone is leaning towards sales. Interesting.

As for allocating my time, I'm simply doing everything and anything I can to hustle. Any free time I have outside of work and school I'm hustling(side businesses) reading, learning, exercising, etc. Very motivated to get my time back.

Nardop01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 9, 2017
New York
Yea I'm the same. I see the potential in data but hate it, but am very good with people and selling. Unfortunately these good sales jobs require these "sales and marketing degrees," or else your a loser and not worth interviewing/hiring.

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Mar 11, 2015
In the same boat. Have a side business that I'm working on scaling and learning everything I can to go fastlane. I've been looking into selling used cars. Any advice on how to get started in terms of process?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
In the same boat. Have a side business that I'm working on scaling and learning everything I can to go fastlane. I've been looking into selling used cars. Any advice on how to get started in terms of process?

Well there's pretty much no barriers to entry, except you need a little capital up front to buy the car. Research into what kind of cars retain their value better and which ones are sold most often. I focus on cars in the 1K-5K range since I can get an all cash return, although these cars/price range does bring about less than favorable people sometimes. People seem to be the biggest problem factor so focus on building your pipeline and how you market the car (which medium you use to reach prospective buyers)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Well there's pretty much no barriers to entry, except you need a little capital up front to buy the car. Research into what kind of cars retain their value better and which ones are sold most often. I focus on cars in the 1K-5K range since I can get an all cash return, although these cars/price range does bring about less than favorable people sometimes. People seem to be the biggest problem factor so focus on building your pipeline and how you market the car (which medium you use to reach prospective buyers)
Also in the US some states have limit of how many cars that you can flip per year before you need a dealers license.

ChaseFade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Mar 11, 2015
That is the price range I am looking into now. That is a great point. I am planning on doing research on Honda's and Toyota's only because they are the most reliable and hold the most value over many years.

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
That is the price range I am looking into now. That is a great point. I am planning on doing research on Honda's and Toyota's only because they are the most reliable and hold the most value over many years.

Yea that's a good start. I encourage you to take action because there's so many little tricks and quirks that you only learn after you 've executed the process. As Jon is correct, there is a limit before you need a dealers licence.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.