The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Found product online...must I import?

SeanF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Oct 3, 2014
Hello everyone. I've a relatively successful eBay selling page (just my own items so far!) but was looking to expand this. I've sourced a couple of items on Alibaba last night, after many hours, that I'd like to sell on my eBay page but without importing 2,000 items (as i just don't have the space to stock them). I tried to get thru to eBay chat to ask them the rules on this - i.e. is it legal to advertise if you don't have the stock?- but they're just too busy.

Does anyone have experience in this? If I can't import, them will the supplier (China) post on a sale-by-sale basis or does it just not work like that? Any insight greatly appreciated :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
but without importing 2,000 items (as i just don't have the space to stock them).

You need to negotiate a sample order with the supplier. This can be anywhere from 1-20 units, depending on the product/supplier, and how big of a customer you make yourself seem. This will allow you to test how the product does on eBay, without having to order 2000. If the product does well, solving the storage space is relatively easy to do using 3rd party warehouse or fulfillment centers. You can find some locally or just google.

I tried to get thru to eBay chat to ask them the rules on this - i.e. is it legal to advertise if you don't have the stock?- but they're just too busy.

eBay staff is shit and don't know how their own platform works. You won't get anywhere talking to them. It's "legal", as you're not breaking any laws. Let me say this: 50% of eBay is Chinese suppliers mailing their product on-demand with 2-week e-packet shipping. Surely, you could do the same, and it'd be fine. Just make sure you're stuff actually gets shipped. Too many messed up orders and your account will be permanently banned.

will the supplier (China) post on a sale-by-sale basis or does it just not work like that?

If this is the model you want to set up, you need to use aliexpress, not alibaba. Aliexpress let's you order 1-2 units at a time. Alibaba suppliers are not going to be cool with that, unless you're selling something huge/expensive, with an MOQ of 1... like roller coasters

SeanF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Oct 3, 2014
You need to negotiate a sample order with the supplier. This can be anywhere from 1-20 units, depending on the product/supplier, and how big of a customer you make yourself seem. This will allow you to test how the product does on eBay, without having to order 2000. If the product does well, solving the storage space is relatively easy to do using 3rd party warehouse or fulfillment centers. You can find some locally or just google.

eBay staff is shit and don't know how their own platform works. You won't get anywhere talking to them. It's "legal", as you're not breaking any laws. Let me say this: 50% of eBay is Chinese suppliers mailing their product on-demand with 2-week e-packet shipping. Surely, you could do the same, and it'd be fine. Just make sure you're stuff actually gets shipped. Too many messed up orders and your account will be permanently banned.

If this is the model you want to set up, you need to use aliexpress, not alibaba. Aliexpress let's you order 1-2 units at a time. Alibaba suppliers are not going to be cool with that, unless you're selling something huge/expensive, with an MOQ of 1... like roller coasters
ok thanks. My ebay account

Ok. So for example if I list these items on eBay, shipping stated "from China" and someone orders, my supplier in China would recognise the order and then post it out? Obviously they would need to be paid in some way?
I'm keen to avoid warehouses as I'm based in France and I can just foresee problems, not only due to language but the bureaucracy and rules on importing.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
ok thanks. My ebay account

what?

Ok. So for example if I list these items on eBay, shipping stated "from China" and someone orders, my supplier in China would recognise the order and then post it out?
No. You would need to generate the order and have it shipped to their address.

Obviously they would need to be paid in some way?
Your credit card.

I'm keen to avoid warehouses as I'm based in France and I can just foresee problems, not only due to language but the bureaucracy and rules on importing.

Huh? I have a sea shipment headed to the U.K. right now. The only way I can do this is because there is a 3rd party warehouse that is going to label my stuff to get them ready for sale on Amazon. I'm in Texas. There is literally no other way to do this.

What Bureaucracy and rules? Freight/Courier companies handle all the bureaucracy for you. As far as the language... I can't help you there, but it seems like your English is good enough.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SeanF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Oct 3, 2014
what?

No. You would need to generate the order and have it shipped to their address.

Your credit card.

Huh? I have a sea shipment headed to the U.K. right now. The only way I can do this is because there is a 3rd party warehouse that is going to label my stuff to get them ready for sale on Amazon. I'm in Texas. There is literally no other way to do this.

What Bureaucracy and rules? Freight/Courier companies handle all the bureaucracy for you. As far as the language... I can't help you there, but it seems like your English is good enough.
Ah sorry I'm English but I'm referring to the bureaucracy in 3rd party warehouse in France, anyway....
So do you have 3rd party warehouses all over the world? I ask this as, for the product i intend to sell, i don't know where the demand will come from as its a pretty universal product used all year around.
You order a set amount from supplier, say 100, to go to this UK warehouse, then when an amazon order comes through, they (UK) ship it out for you? It's a set fee per item you pay them or like a rolling monthly fee for stocking your item? I don't have any more questions after this. Great help thanks :)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Ah sorry I'm English but I'm referring to the bureaucracy in 3rd party warehouse in France
Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, I don't know anything about France. Can't be too hard though.

So do you have 3rd party warehouses all over the world?
I use a company in the UK, and I'm about to get set up with one in the U.S. I'm sure these exist everywhere.

You order a set amount from supplier, say 100, to go to this UK warehouse, then when an amazon order comes through, they (UK) ship it out for you? It's a set fee per item you pay them or like a rolling monthly fee for stocking your item? I don't have any more questions after this. Great help thanks :)

I pay supplier > forwarder ships goods to UK warehouse > They put Amazon barcodes on product and tape shipping labels to boxes > Mail to Amazon FBA fulfillment Center > Amazon ships out each order automatically.

You pay a small fee per task done for each item. One barcode per item is $0.20. Amazon charges it's own fulfillment fees for shipping out your product, but it really isn't any more expensive than shipping it yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.