The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forget about the Internet or eCommerce, Tablet apps anyone???

KittyWrestler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
May 6, 2011
I was a young college student while I was messing around at Stanford University's computer lab using www.stanford.edu/~yahoo.html
You are right.. it was before Yahoo was born and was still only used by the campus students at that time... I was like, "Holy cow!!! this is COOOOOOL!!! This is gonna change the WORLD!!!"

Nearly 20 years later, I once again got really excited about the shift of user experiences that Apple delivered through these iPads... I believe this is the future of how we interact with information...I really do...

The market is still in infancy stage and I can see a lot of opportunities exist in the business world... forget about the consumer world.. I mean.. corporation usage, doctor office, educators...

Whatever these companies are doing by putting out 200K apps out there is still only the begining of a new age.. reminds me 1996 when I saw hundreds of thousands of static web pages were born... But if you look at what Web does for us today in business world, comparing to 1996... Well.. you know what I mean...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anytime technological disruption or consumer shifts are made, millions and billions are made. Web, mobile, and now tablets. Change opens the roads as the become "undiscovered countries" and once discovered, migration happens.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
How much work do you guys think it will take to learn how to design these apps? If you have 0 programming experience that is.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Tablet apps are definitely a huge growth area atm, there are so many opportunities in this area - I for one am intending to jump on this ship ;)

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
I want to too but I'm reluctant to take time off of the things I've already been working hard on and starting from square one. There's undoubtedly a lot of potential here.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I want to too but I'm reluctant to take time off of the things I've already been working hard on and starting from square one. There's undoubtedly a lot of potential here.

Well you could partner with someone who knows how to program apps and that way you'd be the idea/business type and he or she would be the one making your ideas into a reality through their programming skills.

People here often complain about not having programming skills but whenever I suggest that they give equity to someone who already knows how to program, they all think it's a bad idea since they want to keep 100% of the profits for themselves.

It comes down to this. You can have 100% ownership of a non-existent app or 60% ownership of an app that's actually built and making money. Of course, you should be careful when selecting a partner as well; make sure that they have the necessary skills and that you are able to work well with them before signing any contracts.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Well you could partner with someone who knows how to program apps and that way you'd be the idea/business type and he or she would be the one making your ideas into a reality through their programming skills.

People here often complain about not having programming skills but whenever I suggest that they give equity to someone who already knows how to program, they all think it's a bad idea since they want to keep 100% of the profits for themselves.

It comes down to this. You can have 100% ownership of a non-existent app or 60% ownership of an app that's actually built and making money. Of course, you should be careful when selecting a partner as well; make sure that they have the necessary skills and that you are able to work well with them before signing any contracts.

Good advice. I've hired programmers for my websites so it's the same idea.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa

Do you have any downtime you could devote to it?

David Walsh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 7, 2011
Philadelphia
Gents, keep in mind the other principle of these disruptive changes: enabling others to get into the game. Everyone know's the whole goldrush-era lesson: "Dont' chase the gold. Sell picks and axes."

That could not possibly be more true than now. To keep on the topic of tablets/iOS/mobile, etc - here's a solid, scalable product that's doing it right: Tapptics

Just one of countless good examples of the picks-and-axes of the moment. Empowering others to execute/take risks can be as (if not exponentially more) profitable than actually being the one panning for the gold.

If you want to go deeper: California Gold Rush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Sam Brannan knew what opportunity looked like. Sure he seems like a special type of bastard, and his life didn't end beautifully... but he did exceptionally well, if you look at the time's when he got ahead of the opportunities.)

David

Ferrari Girl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Apr 3, 2011

Great advice. Thank you. I am still trying to decide if I want to attempt to learn programming or stick to the idea/ business side. I will have a lot to learn either way I go. Any suggestions on where to look for good programmers?

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China
You've just got to beware of 'deworsification' (I think that's a Robert Allen term)

If its going to take you a year to get good at it, you may miss the opportunity.

I think the real opportunity is in writing a book that tells everyone how to get rich quick doing tablet apps.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Great advice. Thank you. I am still trying to decide if I want to attempt to learn programming or stick to the idea/ business side. I will have a lot to learn either way I go. Any suggestions on where to look for good programmers?

Stack Overflow has lots of great programmers who are qualified to do any sort of programming job you need. They have their contact info on their so email the ones you are interested in with your proposal and they should respond to you.

Stack Overflow

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
You've just got to beware of 'deworsification' (I think that's a Robert Allen term)

If its going to take you a year to get good at it, you may miss the opportunity.

I think the real opportunity is in writing a book that tells everyone how to get rich quick doing tablet apps.

Good point. Learning how to program apps isn't easy. In order to get good at programming you have to do it on a regular basis for multiple years before you'll reach a good level of knowledge. By that time your idea could have been done by someone else or you might lose motivation to pursue it when you realize how long it's taking to learn how to build it. So, best bet if you don't know how to program is to partner with someone who does.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa

I'm not convinced it was Allen. I'm thinking Buffett or Graham for some reason.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada

Peter Lynch coined that phrase in his investment book a couple decades ago.

Interesting thread.

Best regards.

KittyWrestler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
May 6, 2011
A great business man/woman doesn't try to do everything by him/herself... What matters is an idea and execution.
"assemble your team! and do it wisely"

I am a programmer myself. Yes, it does make things easier, but it makes things even easier when I give specs to my partner programmer who is a lot better than me. And I take control of the function design of the project..

It takes money to make money. So this is where you need to spend some money : on good skills and good advice to launch your business. I truly believe that.

Although I am a programmer, I will not try to build my next project. Really, I won't. My time is better spent on directing the project and let the doers to make it happen per my guideline.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
A great business man/woman doesn't try to do everything by him/herself... What matters is an idea and execution.
"assemble your team! and do it wisely"

I am a programmer myself. Yes, it does make things easier, but it makes things even easier when I give specs to my partner programmer who is a lot better than me. And I take control of the function design of the project..

It takes money to make money. So this is where you need to spend some money : on good skills and good advice to launch your business. I truly believe that.

Although I am a programmer, I will not try to build my next project. Really, I won't. My time is better spent on directing the project and let the doers to make it happen per my guideline.

Very well put Kitty,

I sometimes have a hard time overcoming my do-it-yourselfer roots. I grew up in a street rodder family where people did the work themselves, they didn't pay some guy to build them a car. If you knew how to weld and your friend knew upholstery for instance, you'd barter services. This same sort of mentality has stuck with me into my forays into off roading and rock crawling.

Long story short, starting out, people will have time or money, frequently not both so what they do have needs to be leveraged.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I've read a few restaurants use tablets for wine lists featuring video reviews. Boosted their wine sales tremendously. There will be many interesting applications especially when more competition brings down hardware costs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.