The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"finished Standford at 16"..."taught himself programming at 10"..

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 3, 2011
I emailed Paul Graham today. I emailed MJ aswell. I spent all last night and today reading. About founders stories, their start ups, and their successes.

I realized I'm not all that smart. That may sound arrogant, but I never decided I was all that smart on my own. No one has ever told me I'm not smart. My IQ is 126, which is supposedly very superior. When I talk to anyone, teachers, fellow students...whatever...about any intellectual topic, sometimes they will make a kind comment like "wow your really smart" or something.

This as lulled me into a false sense of security. You see, I am not that smart at all actually, compared to people who are really smart. People like Sam Altman, Sergey Brin or Larry Page...Jeff Bezos or Michael Dell. Real geniuses who you could tell would be successful since they were still in elementary school. I have no such forecasting events. At least no profoundly distinct ones. I worked in my dads business in construction when I was 16, but it was often menial labour or office work, nothing remarkable. I read probably more than the average person, but nothing like Marc Andreesan or other real intellectuals. And to compound that deficit even more so, while Andreesan or Elon Musk are reading highly technical and complicated books, I usually just read about history or philosophy.

All day I have read of greats. And it has the uncomfortable effect of simultaneously depressing me and jolting me with a sense of panic
I'm 20 years old and I have done nothing great, yet it is was always my greatest ambition to do great things and its what everyone has expected me to do.

And today, after a depressing, crushing sobering, I realize my chances of greatness are slim.

Even my hope, the Millionaire Fastlane , does not seem feisable. I mean has anyone actually put the book to use and got rich because of it???

Sure they are plenty of five star reviews, I am one of them. But I realized they don't mean anything. All they mean is that MJ has a great mind, and hes is a fine writer (dont worry about those editors!!). I mean, I am a great example. I posted one of those reviews, and I know nothing of what it makes to create a million dollars. What does my opinion matter.

I honestly don't know if its possible. But anyway.

Paul Graham replied, he says its "definantly not to late at 20". Which is quite a cryptic reply, considering the embarrasing question I asked.

MJ still has not.

But slowly, Paul Grahams reply along with some further thinking has brought me to a more authentic premise. Perhaps none of what I am thinking about really matters.

Not in the sense that its not comparatively bad that I did not take action on my dreams early enough, because it certainly is something I shall always regret. But maybe the truth is it doesn't matter anymore. I will never be a 16 year old Stanford grad (UCR for me...). I will never be a 12 year old programmer like Sean Parker. Never. Its finished.

So now what? What matters? Shall I give up? I cannot, its seppuku or Wealth. I cannot fathom giving up. I have the same disgust for slowlane as MJ.

And not just wealth, but I feel if I am not wealthy in 10 years it will be too late. 5 years is pushing it. Time is limited, I need velocity.

Today I was trapped in a limo in the middle of a blizzard.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

Huh?

Are we being trolled?

Looking around at the many wealthy people on this forum and in the world intelligence and age seem to have little to do with financial success. (NOT saying anyone wealthy is dumb, but that you don't have to be a genius)

You don't have to be a genius (average intelligence is sufficient), and you could have started working towards your goal at age 60.

Stop comparing yourself to other people. There will always be those that have accomplished more, have more, etc. The question is, what can you do today, to get closer to your goals. Focus on improving yourself.. screw everyone else. (Sean Parker started at age 12? Great for him! Well, I'm 19, and I'm going to start now.)

not to mention, Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right. -Ford

Destined

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 12, 2011
You have to change your mindset, before you can move ahead! Your way of thinking, at such a young age is just going to put more obstacles in your way.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Deff change your mindset. You don't have to be smart. My dad always tells me about this CEO on the howard stern show that rakes in millions and is a complete moron.

I was watching a documentary, bigger, stronger faster.....they had an interview with a guy that I think was a U.S. congressmen. He was some kind of politician. Either way, he didn't know the what age the drinking law was. He had to ask his assistant if it was 21 or 18. He votes on bills and changes shit all the time, and hes a moron. You don't have to be smart to be rich or change things. Just have the will.

D

DeletedUser394

none of you read my whole post....

Well, with your highly superior IQ, surely you could have written the post in such a way that us mere mortals could have understood it.

What I took from the post;

-You compare yourself to billionaires and high achievers
-You're 20 years old and think that you have to be successful within 5-10 years.. (profile says you're 19 by the way)
-You don't think you can succeed
-You want to 'quit', even though you haven't yet started anything, and are only 20 years old. (or 19, who knows)
-You asked some guy for advice and he replied 'It's not too late at 20.' and that is somehow a cryptic response? You can be 85, 20, 30, 40, makes no difference.
-Seppuku or wealth? You are a samurai? You're going to disembowel yourself if you aren't wealthy?

This is a weird thread.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kinda like reading my book, but not getting the message.

I mean has anyone actually put the book to use and got rich because of it???

Please direct me to the passage in my book where I say you can make millions in a few weeks, or a few months. I don't remember writing about that. I remember telling the truth; that making millions often takes a hard process over several years, which in contrast, is better than making millions over decades.

Additionally, the process of getting rich, and having a dream that is alive, is the dream itself. The "rich" part, where one feels secure, is the destination.

MJ still has not.

I received your email on Sunday afternoon. I wasn't aware I was being timed for answering your email and that my response within a few hours, on a Sunday was required -- additionally, your email was indicative of someone who "skimmed" my book and didn't get the true message. (Otherwise you wouldn't be asking who read it on Thursday and got rich on Friday.)

I shall always
I will never

You live with words of failure and inaction.

Today I was trapped in a limo in the middle of a blizzard.

Then get back to the fundamentals. Have something that people want, and demand, and money will follow. Your post is all about YOU, and nothing about the market.

I'm 20 years old and I have done nothing great,

You are young, relax, enjoy your youth. You have plenty of time. (I didn't truly experience a "Fastlane" until I was 27)

Welcome to the forum.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 3, 2011
Well, with your highly superior IQ, surely you could have written the post in such a way that us mere mortals could have understood it.

My IQ is not superior.

-You compare yourself to billionaires and high achievers

Fastlaners. Relevent.

-You're 20 years old and think that you have to be successful within 5-10 years.. (profile says you're 19 by the way)

I'm 19, 20 in about 25 days.

-You don't think you can succeed

No, I'm saying its obvious my chances are slim.

-You want to 'quit', even though you haven't yet started anything, and are only 20 years old. (or 19, who knows)

I was think of giving up, percisely BECAUSE I have not started anything.
Its not ONLY 20 years old, I'm 10 years late. Most tech millionaires started their trades super young, it will take me until I am 30 maybe. Not very Fastlane. Who knows what the world will be like in 2020.

-You asked some guy for advice and he replied 'It's not too late at 20.' and that is somehow a cryptic response? You can be 85, 20, 30, 40, makes no difference.

Not "some guy"....Paul Graham, look him up. And no you can't be 30 40 or 85, thats hopefull thinking at best. The type of hopeful thinking that ends up in sever failiure for most probably. 25 is the the latest. Of course its possible at 30 40 85 but is it fastlane? The whole point of Fastlane is to be YOUNG and rich.

-Seppuku or wealth? You are a samurai? You're going to disembowel yourself if you aren't wealthy?

Money is all that matters. Without great wealth, nothing is secure. If there are any great disasters, history teaches us that the poor are all made to suffer. Poorness is exposure.

I want to pay my moms bills, save my family from poverty. If I cant do that I am crushed, everything is affliction to me, there is no point in living.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 3, 2011
You are young, relax, enjoy your youth. You have plenty of time. (I didn't truly experience a "Fastlane" until I was 27)

This is what I am really curious about. I don't know if you really believe that or not.

Please direct me to the passage in my book where I say you can make millions in a few weeks, or a few months. I don't remember writing about that. I remember telling the truth; that making millions often takes a hard process over several years, which in contrast, is better than making millions over decades.

Additionally, the process of getting rich, and having a dream that is alive, is the dream itself. The "rich" part, where one feels secure, is the destination.

I did not mean to imply that, I have always thought it would take 5-10 years.

I received your email on Sunday afternoon. I wasn't aware I was being timed for answering your email and that my response within a few hours, on a Sunday was required -- additionally, your email was indicative of someone who "skimmed" my book and didn't get the true message. (Otherwise you wouldn't be asking who read it on Thursday and got rich on Friday.)

I didn't mean to imply that!!!!! I'm sorry for any sense of that rudness! I really did not mean it. I sincerely apologize.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Different people are differently abled. We can't all be capitalists.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 3, 2011
Ralph Waldo Emerson has a great essay practically aimed at my position.

It's called "Self Reliance", I just finished it. Anyone who feels like I feel should check it out.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is what I am really curious about. I don't know if you really believe that or not.

Yup, because I remember the day vividly.

Here is what happened: It was a few days after my 27th birthday. I looked at my bank account and realized that with my current income (not much at the time) and my current savings (again not much) that I realized that I COULD FULLY SUPPORT MYSELF, for the first time, on my own. (THIS IS FASTLANE [But I was still broke, get it?]) It was one the happiest days of my life because I could pursue my dreams AND fully support myself while doing it. I've been happy ever since, and the money, that didn't really come until a few years later.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 3, 2011
Yup, because I remember the day vividly.

Here is what happened: It was a few days after my 27th birthday. I looked at my bank account and realized that with my current income (not much at the time) and my current savings (again not much) that I realized that I COULD FULLY SUPPORT MYSELF, for the first time, on my own. (THIS IS FASTLANE [But I was still broke, get it?]) It was one the happiest days of my life because I could pursue my dreams AND fully support myself while doing it. I've been happy ever since, and the money, that didn't really come until a few years later.

Your an inspiration! Thanks ! ! !

I think maybe my way of looking at success is confused. Cause comparison to greats is only important to one who is insecure. If I really want wealth, it must be for intensely personal reasons, regardless of the nature of others successes...It has to be for me...not for the superficial whims of my ego..

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey

Maybe this is a lesson in itself...don't be so long winded.

Originally Posted by Huningtonbeach
I cannot
I shall always
I will never
You live with words of failure and inaction.

I think maybe my way of looking at success is confused. Cause comparison to greats is only important to one who is insecure. If I really want wealth, it must be for intensely personal reasons, regardless of the nature of others successes...It has to be for me...not for the superficial whims of my ego..

So the other three or four of us that told you to change your mindset, and "didn't read your entire post" were wrong??
Or did it just take a person with a millionaire status to get through to your ego?

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
why do you keep talking about tech millionaires, who cares? It has nothing to do with you, they started younger, get over it.

I know someone now who is worth over 100 million in his late 50s, was worth millions at 21-self made. Do you think when i talk to him i go home and cry because i still haven't made millions? Can i sit down and rationalize on why he was rich at 21 and i wasnt? Not really, no one can, there's a time and a place for it, he was mentally prepared and aligned to make something happen, i have not been. I used to second guess myself all the time, while i was moderately successful at my business, why would i do that? Because i wanted it all NOW, but looking into the future as my network grows, my mindset is stable, and my ideas are smarter, i realize it takes time.

People have become successful after reading MJ's book. Read around, there are people that joined here not being successful and now are rich, because of his book or not it doesn't matter. MJ will tell you his book is not the only thing you have to do, ive read 484876568 books and MJ's, not just MJ's book and i compare them. Do you think i would trust 1 person, even MJ? he will tell you himself that would be wrong.

You can be down and out all you want, the rest of the people will take responsibility for their failure here and be successful one day, maybe im wrong, maybe im right, ill PM you when it happens. I will tell you this, my first few "businesses" lost money and or made almost nothing/ years later i started making money, soooo... what does that mean? Even though im not a millionaire i was obviously improving right? I used to think like you, im not too sure what to say, it took me a long time to not think like that, all i know is i have a board on the wall and a task to check off today to be one step closer to my goal, its difficult to read so many negatives in your post: can't, won't, should i.
The road behind you has nothing to do with the road ahead. Surround yourself with rich people, you need some positive reinforcement.

In the meantime ill leave off with this...
[h=1]"Do What Others Won't Today, So You Can Have What Others Can't Tomorrow"[/h]

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I launched into my first couple of deals with the same ego and attitude that you did. I crashed and burned, and made it through the fire. So will you.

With your mindset, you're going to listen to fame (MJ) over battle scars (other posters), whom you have sized up without knowing the least bit about them. For all you know, you judged people with 10x the cash of MJ, and 20 points higher IQ score than you.

Proceed at full speed. Live a little, learn a lot, and don't be afraid to fail. Learn how to hold your tongue much more, speak less, and listen more. I wish I had at your age.

It's too soon to tell what you can become. You're a virgin in business experience (we all were at some point), and your IQ test might impress your mom but beyond that it's not a credential that means anything other than maybe you at this point are an underachiever.

Press on. Make things happen. Leave your ego and your IQ scores at the door.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

vielera

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Nov 2, 2011
California
You are only going to be 20 and already you are talking like an 80 yr old man who is on the verge of passing away, and regrets not doing anything in life. You still have your whole life ahead of you! Stop reading about all the self-made millionaires and super genius kids, and focus on YOU. Better late than never. Life goes on and you still have to live and support yourself one way or another. There are tons of millionaires who aren't computer geniuses and have built million dollar websites through outsourcing or other resources. You don't need to invent something new or become the next genius. Seems to me like it's more about status to you than even money itself. The opportunities are endless! Find something that you can do and make it bigger/better. There are needs everywhere, find them, fill them, repeat! You can create just about anything with wordpress these days with very little knowledge. Here are some ideas for you... https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/general-business-discussion/35802-need-ideas.html Stop beating yourself up! You can feel sorry for yourself for the rest of your life and never get anywhere. Wouldn't you rather become successful by 25 then at 40, or at 40 then never?

387578_278046698909363_100001121042074_710676_1391419604_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
My IQ is not superior.
Certainly isn't... 126 is nothing to brag about. But it really doesn't matter... I have lots of friends with IQ's > 160, and none of them are Entrepreneurs or doing anything particularly great in their lives at age 27.

I was think of giving up, percisely BECAUSE I have not started anything.
Its not ONLY 20 years old, I'm 10 years late. Most tech millionaires started their trades super young, it will take me until I am 30 maybe. Not very Fastlane. Who knows what the world will be like in 2020.
I get where you are going with this. I personally find it very depressing to read about these 16 year old kids with million dollar businesses. It doesn't serve to encourage me at all - just makes me think I'm too late (I'm 27). I have just started in the past few months, and it is the most exciting thing I've ever done. I wish I'd started sooner, but NOW is better than NEVER.

And no you can't be 30 40 or 85, thats hopefull thinking at best. The type of hopeful thinking that ends up in sever failiure for most probably. 25 is the the latest. Of course its possible at 30 40 85 but is it fastlane? The whole point of Fastlane is to be YOUNG and rich.
No, the whole point is to live THE REST OF YOUR LIFE on your terms. It's possible to do while young, but age is in NO way a determining factor.

Money is all that matters. Without great wealth, nothing is secure. If there are any great disasters, history teaches us that the poor are all made to suffer. Poorness is exposure.

I want to pay my moms bills, save my family from poverty. If I cant do that I am crushed, everything is affliction to me, there is no point in living.
There's a lot more to life than money, which MJ shows in his book.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 3, 2011
Certainly isn't... 126 is nothing to brag about. But it really doesn't matter... I have lots of friends with IQ's > 160, and none of them are Entrepreneurs or doing anything particularly great in their lives at age 27.

You missed the point entirely in your search to insult me...I said I'm NOT smart.

I get where you are going with this. I personally find it very depressing to read about these 16 year old kids with million dollar businesses. It doesn't serve to encourage me at all - just makes me think I'm too late (I'm 27). I have just started in the past few months, and it is the most exciting thing I've ever done. I wish I'd started sooner, but NOW is better than NEVER.

No, the whole point is to live THE REST OF YOUR LIFE on your terms. It's possible to do while young, but age is in NO way a determining factor.

???

There's a lot more to life than money, which MJ shows in his book.

Yeah there is a lot more, but Money is the most important.

Wouldn't you rather become successful by 25 then at 40, or at 40 then never?

The world as we know it will be destroyed by time I'm 35. Technological singularity will change everything....

D

DeletedUser394

Your responses are hilarious.

You've received incredible advice from everyone here. Stop being silly, and get to work. Whether you believe the world is going to implode tomorrow or 15 years from now, the fact remains: Your weird defeatist/alarmist (gotta get rich or die tryin' because the world is going to end, etc!... but I don't think I can) attitude will get you nowhere.

What have you done today besides troll the forums? I'm sure you could have done something more productive that would have taken you closer to your goals.... you have goals and a plan right? If you don't, that'd be the first step.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/your-goals-your-fastlane-plan/544-how-develop-your-plan.html

Last edited by a moderator:

T&R

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The kind of people you idolize are ones that see need and solve them. They might have had the right skill set to perform themselves, but it is never too late to learn. You should read more about Paul Graham. He wasn't any younger then you when he really became successful.

The more you read about the people you idolize, the less the "genius" you will see and the more that the right time, skills and needs all aligned. Gates grew up using early computers and at the right time he applied his knowlege, Zuckerberg same thing, Musk is great at realizing need and filling it. Dell put together computers in his garage to start. Most of these people did it for themselves first, then used the knowledge to make their money. What are you doing to occupy your time? What are you better at then others?

The category of people you are talking about made the money off developing the early internet. Sure, all the easy stuff is gone now, but there are developing technologies that you can take advantage of too. The first smartphone developers are doing pretty well now. Find the next technology and start working at it. If you want to be like them then join them. What's stopping you from applying to Y combinator and working with them yourself?

read : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4519821...genius-strikes-later-life-today/#.Tu_p9komRKw

and
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597141/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

You'll find that many peoples million dollar buisnesses came from hobbies, projects, and activities they did to please themselves first without the intent of growing it into a billion dollar tech company.
Hell, even MJ knew about Limos because he was in the Limo buisness, its not like he woke up one day and decided that a limo directory would be a multi-million dollar idea. Sometimes you just have to create something and run with it. Stop worrying about being a genius and go do something.

Fermovian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 19, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to reply to this because I am in the same boat you are, although 11 years older.

Do not do what I did. Everyone said I was so smart and I believed that I could do anything. Or at least that is what I told myself. But I didn't believe it truly. I have spent my adult life going through terrible jobs (not the office jobs that everyone here complains about, jobs like fish gutting and package swamping) because I have doubted myself and thought that I had to be as good as Bill Gates or Andrew Carnegie. I thought I needed to be more before I could start. Unfortunately, here I am at 31 and I am nowhere. I have just really realized this, but I have fallen into bad habits and I am trying my hardest to reform myself. But it would have been a lot easier if I had started at 20.

The greatest way of overcoming self-doubt is to just find something you are interested in and focus on it so that your too busy to grouse over what you think you lack.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Re: the 'age' question, if anyone in the future comes to this thread and is wondering the same thing, search Google for Ray Kroc and see what age he was when he found success.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
You missed the point entirely in your search to insult me...I said I'm NOT smart.
You are comparing yourself to the top 1% of Entrepreneurs. I doubt anyone on this board is that smart. You said that 126 is "very superior". It is the top 25% of intelligence, which is nothing to be ashamed of. It's plenty smart enough. The point was that a higher IQ wouldn't mean anything.

Yeah there is a lot more, but Money is the most important.
No, money is not at all the most important. I'm afraid there is no hope for you until you change your priorities...

The world as we know it will be destroyed by time I'm 35. Technological singularity will change everything....
and moronic ideas.

The world is always changing, that's what presents opportunities to profit.

If the world is destroyed, no amount of money in the world will save you.

You need a psychiotrist... and Jesus.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Ya'll bakers posting in a roll thread...

This poster is only responding to peoples negative annotations of his posts. He lives in negativity it seems like and needs an environment change. The advice needed was given.... it's only a matter of if he will take it at this point and learn.

Def not subscribing to this thread.... lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.