The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally on track!

D

DeletedUser394

Well, after a crazy roller coaster ride of a year, I'm finally done with high school (I graduated, I didn't drop out! lol).

Anyway over the summer I'm going to be raising money with friends (if I can get them to commit!) to build a school in Sierra Leone (the poorest country on earth). I need to raise $8,500 for building materials and a bit extra for supplies for the kids.

I've looked at a few ways to raise the money (all of which I will do);

1. Get family and friends to donate
2. Hold a car wash
3. Hold poker tourneys (buyin is donated), and other small events

My question is, how do I go about raising money from Small-Medium Businesses?

Thanks :) and I'll keep yall posted on my progress :icon_super:

Let's change the world.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Well, after a crazy roller coaster ride of a year, I'm finally done with high school (I graduated, I didn't drop out! lol).

Anyway over the summer I'm going to be raising money with friends (if I can get them to commit!) to build a school in Sierra Leone (the poorest country on earth). I need to raise $8,500 for building materials and a bit extra for supplies for the kids.

I've looked at a few ways to raise the money (all of which I will do);

1. Get family and friends to donate
2. Hold a car wash
3. Hold poker tourneys (buyin is donated), and other small events

My question is, how do I go about raising money from Small-Medium Businesses?

Thanks :) and I'll keep yall posted on my progress :icon_super:

Let's change the world.

Businesses, media and charity = good outcome. Charge money for that and finance the thing you need to finance. Just a thought.

You sell charity just like you sell a product or service. By pointing out what the businesses gain on giving you money. Forget the guilt trip maneuver. It doesn't work very well. Many foundations have come to grips with this. Just look at charity events on TV. They make them a win-win for everyone involved. Businesses get massive media exposure in return for a small check or two.

Ted Turner made the charity event a competition. He challenged other forbes 400 billionaires on who would be the guy who donated the most money. Many took him on.

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
Don't focus solely on businesses either. There are a lot of service organizations that might contribute to your project. You'll probably need to have 503-C nonprofit status.

Contact your local Rotary clubs and ask if you can make a presentation to the club on your project. You will be booked as the guest speaker for the meeting. Be ready to make a 20-30 minute presentation on your project and how it is helping the people in Sierra Leone. Don't make it all sales pitch. Just ask politely for contributions at the end. Some members, or the club itself, may be willing to donate.

I certainly admire you for taking on something like this. I'm sure it will be a very personally rewarding endeavor.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Businesses, media and charity = good outcome. Charge money for that and finance the thing you need to finance. Just a thought.

You sell charity just like you sell a product or service. By pointing out what the businesses gain on giving you money. Forget the guilt trip maneuver. It doesn't work very well. Many foundations have come to grips with this. Just look at charity events on TV. They make them a win-win for everyone involved. Businesses get massive media exposure in return for a small check or two.

Ted Turner made the charity event a competition. He challenged other forbes 400 billionaires on who would be the guy who donated the most money. Many took him on.

A little off topic, but here is an example of a business model that combines charity with sales. This shows how a person can make a difference in other's lives even though he is still profiting.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Kt3BQQ6dQaQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.