The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fear of Not Doing Enough

Anything related to matters of the mind

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
I'm 20 years old.

6 months back, I had crazy anxiety about not doing anything. I didn't have a business venture and I hated it. I wanted to do something with my life. I wanted to put my energy and creativity to something. I needed an outlet. An outlet that had potential.

Fast forward to now, I'm doing a blog on fitness & self-development & motivation (goal with that is to sell ebooks and personal training services, and maybe fitness clothing in the future)

I also just started self-publishing on amazon and I have my first book out and creating another one at the moment. (goal with that is to reach best seller status with many books)

I also read great books all the time, listen to podcasts, read forums, blogs. etc.

My problem is that I often get this feeling that I'm not doing enough. I start questioning what I'm doing and if this is what I should be doing. I get this stupid feeling that maybe I should be doing something else right now? I get anxiety because I also feel like I don't want to miss any opportunities.

Random questions like ''am I on the right path?'' ''should I be trying to get a Mentor right now?'' ''where should my focus be on, my blog and self publishing or should I start another business and leave these two behind''?

This is all probably quite normal specially regarding the fact that todays world is filled with million opportunities.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
My first thought: If you think you're not doing enough...you probably aren't.

That being said:It does sound that you're spreading your wings quite well.
And there is something such as "Doing too much". After you've done your work, you've been working effectively, you've done your marketing, selling and such things. and set up for future expansions...What more is there to do.

As for the mentor thing:
I think that everybody needs a mentor, or mentors. however I don't think that mentoring has to be a 1 on 1 approach. You can also take a "Role-model" of someone in your business that has what you want to have, and learn from them.

I would take a good look and read some business and leadership books if I were you. Good books that come to mind:
- Personal MBA
- Several books of John C.Maxwell (This guy is a genious if it comes to leadership and personal growth, and outside of marketing and business I think that entrepreneurs have to be a real good leader to succeed with their companies). At the moment I'm listening to his audiobook "How champions think"
One 'quote' (or well not actual quote as I don't got the book here...but freely translated is); "Your business can only grow so far as that your personal abilities and leadership skills allow."

Just out of personal interest:
- I'd like to take a look at your website, so if you want either post it here or in a PM.
- How is your first book on amazon doing so far?

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
My problem is that I often get this feeling that I'm not doing enough. I start questioning what I'm doing and if this is what I should be doing. I get this stupid feeling that maybe I should be doing something else right now? I get anxiety because I also feel like I don't want to miss any opportunities.

My guess is that your time-management is not very good, and you procrastinate a lot while you're doing your work, which results in you not being able to enjoy your free-time and being guilt-free after your productive time is done.

My suggestion is to set up a time where you do nothing but focus on your work, and when that time is done you take your mind off your work and enjoy your procrastinating; whatever you managed to do during your productive-time is it, and now you can enjoy doing something else.

And for the random thoughts, I'd suggest you to physically write down your goals, why you are doing what you do, and a plan on how to do it. Getting my thoughts down on paper just seems to clear my mind and put things straight.

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
My first thought: If you think you're not doing enough...you probably aren't.

That being said:It does sound that you're spreading your wings quite well.
And there is something such as "Doing too much". After you've done your work, you've been working effectively, you've done your marketing, selling and such things. and set up for future expansions...What more is there to do.

As for the mentor thing:
I think that everybody needs a mentor, or mentors. however I don't think that mentoring has to be a 1 on 1 approach. You can also take a "Role-model" of someone in your business that has what you want to have, and learn from them.

I would take a good look and read some business and leadership books if I were you. Good books that come to mind:
- Personal MBA
- Several books of John C.Maxwell (This guy is a genious if it comes to leadership and personal growth, and outside of marketing and business I think that entrepreneurs have to be a real good leader to succeed with their companies). At the moment I'm listening to his audiobook "How champions think"
One 'quote' (or well not actual quote as I don't got the book here...but freely translated is); "Your business can only grow so far as that your personal abilities and leadership skills allow."

Just out of personal interest:
- I'd like to take a look at your website, so if you want either post it here or in a PM.
- How is your first book on amazon doing so far?

Thanks for the reply.

My website well be up in few days, on the first of the new year. I've already been creating articles and I have about 30 excellent articles ready to publish. I'll hit you up with link as soon as it is up.

The book on amazon.
I just published it and the amazon free promotion starts tomorrow, so hopefully I get a lot of downloads and reviews.

BeDoHave

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Aug 6, 2014
Here's a tip:

Define your goals in terms of business - have maybe 3 or 4 very specific goals every month. After you've done this make sure that every night before you go to bed you write down a list of things you're going to do the next day to help you achieve these goals. Every day you should be working to tick each and everything off your daily list and creating new lists for the next day.

Anything on the list that you didn't achieve on that specific day should be added to tomorrow's list. But ideally you should be completing most or all of the tasks you set yourself.

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Here's a tip:

Define your goals in terms of business - have maybe 3 or 4 very specific goals every month. After you've done this make sure that every night before you go to bed you write down a list of things you're going to do the next day to help you achieve these goals. Every day you should be working to tick each and everything off your daily list and creating new lists for the next day.

Anything on the list that you didn't achieve on that specific day should be added to tomorrow's list. But ideally you should be completing most or all of the tasks you set yourself.

I'm doing that already :) but thanks.

Love your profile name.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
I know the feeling.

I'd say the best thing to do is identify the most important, big picture stuff, that will take you where you want to go in the least amount of time possible (80/20 rule, look it up). The most successful people in the world don't work hard--they don't just fill up their schedules with minute details that don't really matter big picture--they work smart. They pick the most important things and devote all or most of their energy there.

These big things will provide far more momentum in a shorter timespan, validating your work ethic and hopefully stopping your doubts.

So in your case, some big picture goals might look like this:
  • Write 5 eBooks by the end of the month
  • 20 new articles to grow your blog
  • Build an email list for easy marketing
Once you agree on these big goals, you should be confident that it will be a lot of work for you, and it will greatly advance where you are right now. Then you'd break these into daily tasks (word counts, run a daily PPC campaign, etc.) And once you finish these goals, you can rest easy knowing you put in good, quality work for the day. You can always do more, but at least you accomplished a good amount and can stop worrying about it. It's a marathon and its important not to get too tired too quick.

-Axiom

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
I know the feeling.

I'd say the best thing to do is identify the most important, big picture stuff, that will take you where you want to go in the least amount of time possible (80/20 rule, look it up). The most successful people in the world don't work hard--they don't just fill up their schedules with minute details that don't really matter big picture--they work smart. They pick the most important things and devote all or most of their energy there.

These big things will provide far more momentum in a shorter timespan, validating your work ethic and hopefully stopping your doubts.

So in your case, some big picture goals might look like this:
  • Write 5 eBooks by the end of the month
  • 20 new articles to grow your blog
  • Build an email list for easy marketing
Once you agree on these big goals, you should be confident that it will be a lot of work for you, and it will greatly advance where you are right now. Then you'd break these into daily tasks (word counts, run a daily PPC campaign, etc.) And once you finish these goals, you can rest easy knowing you put in good, quality work for the day. You can always do more, but at least you accomplished a good amount and can stop worrying about it. It's a marathon and its important not to get too tired too quick.

-Axiom

Thanks.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

@Peakdesire have you made any money with your two businesses yet? Maybe you feel like your not doing enough because you have yet to make a dime?

Try inserting Google AdSense Advertisements into your blog so you can start earning now for the time being. Once you start seeing progress in terms of earnings, your brain will start to believe that this might work. Then you will know whether you are doing enough or not.

Last edited:

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
@Peakdesire have you made any money with your two businesses yet? Maybe you feel like your not doing enough because you have yet to make a dime?

Try Inserting Google AdSense Advertisements into your blog so you can start earning now for the time being. Once you start seeing progress, your brain will start to believe that this might work. Then you will know whether you are doing enough or not.

Yeah that might be one of the reasons. Putting in hours and hours and not seeing any cash.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Fearing not doing enough is tied to poverty-thinking. It's the poor who believe in a constant struggle and push in order to survive, or "make it". It seems the root of your problem is your own anxiety telling you "MORE MORE MORE!! YOU SHOULD DO MORE!"

But are you actually doing as much as you believe is necessary to further your goals? When you make a to-do list, do you actually get most of it finished? If so, then relax. You don't need to be scurrying around constantly and not able to enjoy a moment of your day. If not, then maybe you do need to be more productive.

I make time to relax, and just chill. It's an absolute requirement for me to meditate, sit in zen, and do non-taxing activities. People can call it unproductive, but I say it keeps myself mentally healthy and still enjoying life.

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Fearing not doing enough is tied to poverty-thinking. It's the poor who believe in a constant struggle and push in order to survive, or "make it". It seems the root of your problem is your own anxiety telling you "MORE MORE MORE!! YOU SHOULD DO MORE!"

But are you actually doing as much as you believe is necessary to further your goals? When you make a to-do list, do you actually get most of it finished? If so, then relax. You don't need to be scurrying around constantly and not able to enjoy a moment of your day. If not, then maybe you do need to be more productive.

I make time to relax, and just chill. It's an absolute requirement for me to meditate, sit in zen, and do non-taxing activities. People can call it unproductive, but I say it keeps myself mentally healthy and still enjoying life.

Yeah good point. Thanks.

I do meditate and I can relax.

I think my problem is that I really want to maximize my potential and really make sure I'm doing everything in order to succeed. So I'm doing a blog and self-publishing and I ask myself like Is this enough? should be doing somethings more? you know what I mean? Then things like should I be contacting possible mentors right now? or should I be networking somewhere? u know..I don't want to miss anything.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Yeah good point. Thanks.

I do meditate and I can relax.

I think my problem is that I really want to maximize my potential and really make sure I'm doing everything in order to succeed. So I'm doing a blog and self-publishing and I ask myself like Is this enough? should be doing somethings more? you know what I mean? Then things like should I be contacting possible mentors right now? or should I be networking somewhere? u know..I don't want to miss anything.
I think you should just keep learning. Do everything you know how to do now, and be open to learning. You shouldn't expect to know everything right away, but if you're open to learning, you'll find new ways to do things.

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
I think you should just keep learning. Do everything you know how to do now, and be open to learning. You shouldn't expect to know everything right away, but if you're open to learning, you'll find new ways to do things.

I will.

G

GuestUser116

Once you start seeing progress in terms of earnings, your brain will start to believe that this might work.
Once I've made my first few $$ in my venture I knew it was possible and not just some bs I'm wasting time on. It became a reality instead of a dream ;)

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Once I've made my first few $$ in my venture I knew it was possible and not just some bs I'm wasting time on. It became a reality instead of a dream ;)

How is your venture doing now? :)

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
My sales page won't convert shit after trying 3 different pages.

But my Amazon titles are ight.
So how are your amazon titles selling?

And: What did you do so far to drive traffic to your website.
How many people signed up for your mailing list so far.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.