The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Thoughts on Marriage?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernAlpha

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 3, 2016
Long Island, New York
Hey guys, I love this forum and all the valuable advice. This may be a bit off topic for the forums overall theme but this is the People & Relationships section so it's related, especially since who you choose to live your life with has a massive effect on personal happiness, productivity, and major loss of assets/wealth in the event of a divorce.

I'm curious, for the single men building a fastlane business, what are your thoughts on marriage?

Also, would love to hear from married/divorced fastlaners on the benefits/disadvantages of marriage.

Some marriage facts that bother me:
- 50% of marriages end in divorce.
- more than 75% of divorces are initiated by the woman.
- laws are NOT in the favor of the man when it comes to divorce.
- people are emotionally dynamic and ever-changing beings (women more so than men).
- legally enforceable prenups are difficult to "get right".

So basically for men, marriage is betting a woman half of your shit that SHE will love you forever. This seems like an unnecessary life risk and foolish bet with no apparent upside when compared to dating or cohabitation (except of course satisfying demands from your girlfriend and/or societal pressures, both not valid reasons to make a major life choice in my opinion)..

I've been with my girlfriend for over 2 years now, we love each other, what we have is amazing, etc. Personally, all of my relationship needs are already being met with the current dynamic, so I see ZERO benefits that legally getting married would add. Instead I see loss of legal freedoms, potential lawyer fees, and possible loss of half my net worth. I strongly believe in doing things only because I fully believe in them and not because society tells you it's the thing to do, etc.

I'm 31 and do not have kids. One day I do plan to have kids. My plan is to sign a Cohabitation Agreement and Parenting Plan/Agreement with the woman that I choose to have children with. I believe both parties needs are satisfied this way.. except of course a woman's society programmed/Disney desires to have "her big day", a 4 hour party that costs more than a down payment on a house to impress family/friends.

Before this gets too long and sounds like a rant, I'll summarize with:
I simply do not see any benefits of legally committing to another human being forever or signing a legal contract for an emotion when the main purpose of a relationship (love and connection) are already satisfied via dating and/or cohabitation.

*side note: I'm non-religious, so any talk of god or religion is irrelevant for me personally.

Fastlaners I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this topic!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My plan is to sign a Cohabitation Agreement and Parenting Plan/Agreement with the woman that I choose to have children with.

Awwwww, you're such a romantic :)

Honestly, it's as simple as this - if you don't want to get married, don't get married. Be up front with your partners about it and call it a day.

Personally I'm married. Best decision of my life. I don't agree with many of the laws surrounding marriage but it's not like that's the first or last set of laws I'll disagree with in my time either.

I won't speak to the marriage statistics for the same reason I won't speak to the statistics about business failures - if I thought they applied to me I'd never get anything done.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007