The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fast Lane Lessons From A Documentary About Sneakers

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
There is a documentary from 2005 called 'Just For Kicks'. Here it is.

Here is the IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451090/

The documentary is 1 hour and 21 minutes long, but contains many fastlane lessons (as well as some hitting the sidewalk with their new sneakers).

I'll mention the highlights/lessons for those who don't have the time to go through the video. [Times included]

[17:20-19:30] Fast lane lesson.

Hip hop group Run DMC make a song called 'My Adidas'. This generated free publicity for Adidas. They then ask Adidas for $1million. They provided great value for this $1 million. They made the sneaker cool, allowed Adidas to make the sneaker more expensive and allowed them to sell more of them. They transformed sneakers from a commodity (at the time) to a luxury item that was 'cool'.

Note: here is the song.

[24:30-27:15]

Follows Nike's association with Michael Jordan. Jordan was fined every NBA game he played because his Nike sneakers didn't comply with uniform rules.

[28:15]

Nike introduces the 'series' concept. New shoes (and shoe designs) every season. Today we view this move as common sense for a shoe company to release new shoes in order to attract repeat purchases.

At the time it was considered marketing suicide. The conventional wisdom was that you would build up recognition with a certain look of shoe and keep that style of shoe. Now you had to advertise each season for the sake of brand recognition. It was worth it.

[33:30-36:00] Some serious sidewalk mentality.

People robbing others for their Air Jordan sneakers.

[38:10]

Sneaker hunting. An irrational market if there ever was one. People going out of their way to buy old, out of print sneakers.

[41:15-43:00] Sidewalk

A sneaker collector. Seemingly in the middle class. Talking about wearing $600 jackets and $200 sneakers to high school. Well off friends who buy 10 pairs of the same style of shoes.

[1:10:00-1:12:00] Fastlane

Hip hop artists soon recognized that their celebrity is what was moving the shoes.

They weren't just going to let shoe manufacturers use their celebrity. They wanted a bigger slice of the pie.

About Jay-Z:

"The only way to do business with a guy like Jay-Z is to give him his own profit center, give him his own business."

[1:12:32]

Talking about rapper 50 cent:

"Putting out G-units right now is like printing money, why not?"

*********************************************************************************************

Those are the main points of the documentary. They reason I decided to watch it in the first place was because one of my friends is obsessed with sneakers. I wanted to understand the culture behind the obsession.

They video was so valuable for the standpoint of 'identifying needs and meeting them' that I decided to watch it a second time and write notes.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Thanks for sharing and for summarizing. I'd love it for a celeb to do something for my brand/product and THEN ask for $$. It'd be the easiest thing in the world to pay for proven ROI.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for sharing and for summarizing. I'd love it for a celeb to do something for my brand/product and THEN ask for $$. It'd be the easiest thing in the world to pay for proven ROI.

If only. It seems the full potential of celebrity moving product has only been realized in the past few decades.

It begs the question: In 10 years time, what other revenue opportunities will present themselves to celebrities?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.