The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Examples of small SaaS businesses?

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

loop101

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2013
I seem to have some mental block regarding SaaS businesses. The examples I see, tend to be huge affairs (like Dropbox), ones that seem to be done to death (like time-tracking), or ones that are silly (random inspirational quotes). As a long time consumer, as opposed to creator, maybe I am just more familiar with consumer products, and not what products a creator/business would need (assuming SaaS is typically B2B).

Are there any examples of small SaaS enterprises created by solopreneurs that were/are successful?

Byakko

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I seem to have some mental block regarding SaaS businesses. The examples I see, tend to be huge affairs (like Dropbox), ones that seem to be done to death (like time-tracking), or ones that are silly (random inspirational quotes). As a long time consumer, as opposed to creator, maybe I am just more familiar with consumer products, and not what products a creator/business would need (assuming SaaS is typically B2B).

Are there any examples of small SaaS enterprises created by solopreneurs that were/are successful?
Checkout OpenALPR, basically they provide you a service to extract license plates from pictures. I`m not sure if this was made by only one person or not, but it could have been.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

loop101

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2013
Checkout OpenALPR, basically they provide you a service to extract license plates from pictures. I`m not sure if this was made by only one person or not, but it could have been.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

Doh, that was one of the things I was thinking of doing, lol. I have looked in to doing video analytics prodcuts
They pop up every now and then on Hacker News

Here: HN Search powered by Algolia

That Algolia link is cool, thanks.

sinj

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 20, 2017
Mexico
Check out indiehackers

You will find many bootstrapped solo entrepreneurs with SAAS business showcasted there.

Last edited by a moderator:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
Im working on my 7th SaaS and I fit exactly what you are asking as I have been solo before ( but now currently have 1 partner and 0 employees ).

See my sig for my ask me anything SaaS thread.

You can get ideas anywhere and everywhere. If I were to start you off in places to look, it would be places like Product Hunt, Beta List, Hacker News, Reddit, Launching Next, and Angel List.

Don't get hung up on the solo person part.

You can make something like DropBox on your own if you wanted and had the skills. All it is, is a folder in the cloud. Sure they have some new features now like for photos, PDFs, etc... but its story was sharable files which you can do easily now with 3rd party apps put in the cloud.

The main thing is, what value can you give a hungry market where you can collect recurring income from?

If you can answer that, everything else is irrelevant.

sdbrownlie

Building Links for SEO Peeps
FASTLANE INSIDER
Oct 26, 2017
Royal Leamington Spa
In the SEO industry there are a fair few niche SAAS products that do pretty well (and my team loves):

Garrett French's Citation Labs (notably link prospector)
DeepCrawl
LinkResearchTools
Serpwoo
Buzzstream

There's dozens of competitors to those on that list too - most of which are making solid money for the number of employees they have (some of which, of course, aren't).

I'm sure other industries are similar too - the key thing seems to be a trend in the 'reason for founding' stories - a lot of the peeps were in the industry already and saw a frustration/problem they were facing and solved it for themselves first.

I had the pleasure of chatting with one of the founders of those a while back who had an interesting thought about ideas for SAAS products for businesses - "anytime you see someone using a spreadsheet you have an opportunity to build a tool if there's thousands more like them." After one of his webinars, I saw him interviewing someone who was walking through a manual process, and a month later they'd added features to their tool to replace that process with the tool so he clearly lived by his messaging...

ps Hey @eliquid great to see you on here too!

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Read the free book, some excellent insights. I also did the website quiz and I did a visual on a...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom