The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ethics of Starting Up a Network Marketing Company

Marketing, social media, advertising

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
Is it ethical to start a company that uses a network marketing (NM) model?

I know that Pampered Chef, which is owned by Berkshire Hathaway, is a NM company but it appears to be different. It makes each person primarily a retailer. The more people he/she has under him/her, the less he/she makes from each person in their downline. Other NM companies primarily increase rewards the bigger the downline. If Pampered Chef saturates a market and recruiting becomes extremely difficult, each person still has a foundation of retailing, whereas a typical NM company doesn't, due to tiny margins.

It seems to me that the continued existence of large NM companies like Amway, is because of the huge failure rate, and the continual replacement of people (rather than the retailing of products to non-members). Otherwise the company would hypothetically take over the world, then collapse like a typical pyramid scheme. This means NM companies actually WANT a lot of failure (yet still want growth). It's like using people (failures) to further the company's future, and the justification is that joining is an opportunity.

No doubt that the model can be effective... But ethical?

I guess one solution is to use the Pampered Chef model, but I don't understand why there doesn't seem to be any others like it. Maybe it's way more difficult?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sure its ethical, its a form of distribution and very Fastlane. Mind you, I'm speaking of creating an MLM, not joining one. They are distinctly different.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Ethical is a strong word. A NM model is a viable, legal business model- so why wouldn't it be ethical?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.