The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Entertainment Character Licensing and Partnerships - Where to Start?

Allen

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 26, 2013
My wife had an excellent idea a few years ago and bootstrapped the development of an entertaining educational video for children who needed to wear an eye patch for amblyopia or "lazy eye". The purpose of the DVD was to entertain children who needed to wear an eye patch with a full-length DVD featuring sock-puppet characters who also had to wear an eye patch. She actually got the idea when our son, who had ambyopia and had to wear an eye patch, saw a cartoon pirate wearing an eye patch on television and then rushed to put on his eye patch in order to play along.

We have since sold over 3000 of the DVDs, however as the finance guy of the operation, we quickly realized that with a limited advertising budget and no repeat customers (Who buys a DVD twice?), it has been difficult to scale.

Below is the link to the website:

Home

Since reading TMF , I have decided to revisit this business model as one of my projects. However, I want to attack it from a different angle and perhaps pursue a partnership with a production company that has the ability to use digital animation, scale and perhaps branch out into other videos focused on children with other medical conditions, i.e. allergies, asthma, hearing aids, etc.

Another option is to try and license the characters as the furry little "Bjort" characters seem to be the most popular and make the children laugh while singing songs, etc.

I don't know where to start so I'm hoping for some guidance from the forum. I've performed some Google searches on entertainment licensing, character licensing, etc., however I would rather try to find a working model and try to repeat the process.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Instead, why not switch over to a subscription model? Have monthly releases, etc...

Use some money to target people on Facebook. Get a copyright on the characters as well.

TedM

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
We have since sold over 3000 of the DVDs, however as the finance guy of the operation, we quickly realized that with a limited advertising budget and no repeat customers (Who buys a DVD twice?), it has been difficult to scale.
Allen, this is an interesting topic. what happened in the interim?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.