G
GuestUser4aMPs1
Guest
Probably sweating this too much, but...
In light of recent 'Guru Witch-Hunt' threads on the Forum, it got me thinking about my own presentation to others; namely involving stories told.
I'm fairly guilty of Embellishing Stories - not necessarily for ill intent,
but for the Sake of Simplicity.
As an example:
When people ask how the business started, I often reference my first client.
"A Theology Professor at XYZ Ivy League School."
Well, that's not exactly the full story.
I was actually a subcontractor under someone else,
who had said Theology Professor as a client.
Another Example:
When people ask how the business is going.
"It's Great! I have 4 people working for me now."
Well, that's true. But not exactly the full story.
Those 4 people are all subcontractors that work WAY less than part-time with me.
In both cases, it's a bit of an embellishment to make me look good.
So the question is: Where do you draw the line with stretching the truth?
Again, I don't think I'm embellishing stories out of evil intent - but subconsciously I'll do it because it makes me look good. How do you make your presentations simple enough for others to grasp, without subconsciously embellishing stories and making yourself look bigger than you actually are?
In light of recent 'Guru Witch-Hunt' threads on the Forum, it got me thinking about my own presentation to others; namely involving stories told.
I'm fairly guilty of Embellishing Stories - not necessarily for ill intent,
but for the Sake of Simplicity.
As an example:
When people ask how the business started, I often reference my first client.
"A Theology Professor at XYZ Ivy League School."
Well, that's not exactly the full story.
I was actually a subcontractor under someone else,
who had said Theology Professor as a client.
Another Example:
When people ask how the business is going.
"It's Great! I have 4 people working for me now."
Well, that's true. But not exactly the full story.
Those 4 people are all subcontractors that work WAY less than part-time with me.
In both cases, it's a bit of an embellishment to make me look good.
So the question is: Where do you draw the line with stretching the truth?
Again, I don't think I'm embellishing stories out of evil intent - but subconsciously I'll do it because it makes me look good. How do you make your presentations simple enough for others to grasp, without subconsciously embellishing stories and making yourself look bigger than you actually are?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
