The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

eCom - Bag Sales

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
"Testing a product" stealing peoples content, with, no stock, no website, no social media presence, and a product copied from people already established, how successful do you think this test will be? If OP thinks there's a business here make a serious effort or forget it. A stolen image won't prove shit either way, it's not 2015 when everyone sees a picture and loses their minds. Consumers are smarter and need to be treated as such.
EDIT: Haven't heard back from since last night about the order of 300 pieces. Will keep this thread up to date.

Another idea worth mentioning is that I could sell these on Etsy as well. Found several bags in PU leather.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
Notes:

I'll reveal the bags why not, here the two:

1. Outdoor Waterproof Customized Vegan Leather Mommy Bag High Quality Pu Mommy Backpack Luxury Nappy Baby Carrier Diaper Bag - Buy Luxury Folding Wet Tote Nappy Mommy Bag Waterproof Brown Baby Diaper Bag Backpack multifunctional Outdoor Travel Diaper Bag Baby Waterproof Mummy Diaper Bags Nappy Wet Bag all Categories Featured Selections Trade Assurance Buyer Central Become A Supplier Help Center Get The App Wholesale 3 In 1 Baby Product on Alibaba.com
-Sample costs:
$230 dollar's per supplier's conversation. Almost a car payment or several utility bills.
-Minimum MOQ:
-Price per Unit:
$10.50 cent's a bag.

View attachment 55967

2. Waterproof Mommy Travel Baby Bag Stroller Strap Diaper Bag Backpack Organizer Diaper Storage Pu Leather Baby Bag Diaper Backpack - Buy Baby Diaper Backpack diaper Bag Backpack Leather bag Backpack Organizer Diaper Storage Organizer Product on Alibaba.com
-Sample Costs:
$130.

View attachment 55968
-Minimum MOQ:
-Price per Unit:
Starting $12.99 for under 200 units.

Hope you guys enjoyed this thread so far. Just looking and giving you some idea's of what dropshippers do in the background when selling products.

Process Path:
1. Setup a Shopify Store.
2. Find an product in-demand.
3. Run Advertising.
4. Pocket the difference.

Starting Costs:

COGS:

500 pieces x $10.50 (Bag 1) = $5,250
Sample:
$230.
Advertising:
$500 - $1,000
Sale Price:
Base price of bag x 3 times markup = $31.50 or $45

It looks too easy in my opinion.
Seems like something that could be tested via dropshipping way faster and cheaper.

Grab something like this off AliExpress, shoot your own ads (or send it to someone who will make ads for you), and test the product/niche with a $50 investment as opposed to hundreds or more.

If the numbers work out, THEN make your own variation and place an order with a manufacturer.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's been my thought process lately.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Seems like something that could be tested via dropshipping way faster and cheaper.

Grab something like this off AliExpress, shoot your own ads (or send it to someone who will make ads for you), and test the product/niche with a $50 investment as opposed to hundreds or more.

If the numbers work out, THEN make your own variation and place an order with a manufacturer.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's been my thought process
The bag doesn't look half bad. Might order a sample.

Last edited:

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
The bag doesn't look half bad. Might order q sample.
Just a suggestion...

Have a rough plan in place before you spend any money on "samples".

Are you ordering these samples with the intent of shooting ads to start selling the product? If so, how will you make the ad? Who will be in it? What angles will you test?

Will you pay someone to make it? Who? And what specific ad will you have them make?

Who exactly are you targeting with these ads? What problem are you solving for them?

What are other sellers doing? Can you get a feel for their margins? What USPs/skews can you come up with?

Anybody can order samples. It's literally as easy as shopping on Amazon.

Set yourself up for success by having at least one well defined customer avatar and a few solid advertising angles to test against that avatar before you spend any money.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Very sad to see some of the responses here justifying theft, grift, and other nefarious practices.

SMH.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

Maybe I'm wrong but that's been my thought process lately.
The sample for this bag is $38 dollars. Had to cancel order, had the wrong address (oops). Will order again soon to check it out.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Just a suggestion...

Have a rough plan in place before you spend any money on "samples".

Are you ordering these samples with the intent of shooting ads to start selling the product? If so, how will you make the ad? Who will be in it? What angles will you test?

Will you pay someone to make it? Who? And what specific ad will you have them make?

Who exactly are you targeting with these ads? What problem are you solving for them?

What are other sellers doing? Can you get a feel for their margins? What USPs/skews can you come up with?

Anybody can order samples. It's literally as easy as shopping on Amazon.

Set yourself up for success by having at least one well defined customer avatar and a few solid advertising angles to test against that avatar before you spend any money.
This I will figure out.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
The surest way to remain poor is to be a Goodie Tissue (or as @Richard Peck would correct me, a Goody Two Shoes!) ;)

It’s super common on this forum. People who have made $0 worry about ethics LOL. If I was at $0 I’d be desperate to make money — I’d do ANYTHING. I wouldn’t tolerate no job, or bullshit, I’d find a way to make thousands from month 1 (this is what I did actually when I sold furniture, when I freelanced, and so on).

Most people imo are poor because they’re too good to be rich. You guys don’t want it enough. You want to be ethical, to be comfortable, all these things, MORE than you want to be rich.
I always want to make sure the customer I'm working with or the work that I did satisfies them.

Working Tech support jobs and at Sonic I've learned how to be good at Customer Service. Even have a few LinkedIn reviews from previous people I worked with who were happy with the experience I've provided them.

I don't want to create something that is a crappy or doesn't provide someone value in someway. If it doesn't and I have heard multiple complaints I'll throw it away or adjust.

Right now everyone is happy with their experience with me and the tech services I provide. There are times where I can get frustrated with the amount of requests and want to scream, lol. I still get the job done and move on. But overall, everyone is pleased and I get exhausted.

People are selfish, they want they want. *huge sigh*

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks a forum member here, I am in contact with someone who lives in Mexico that finds handmade goods. I'll see if he can find a supplier.

I'll keep this thread updated/posted.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
So the individual I am in contact with is going to a city in Mexico to source potential samples. He's going Sunday. I'm also reading a book that Stevn VanCauwenbergh is writing about coaching.

I'll keep this thread up to date on the findings of the bags.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Supplier/Manufacturer from Mexico. The individual took pictures. Getting more information now.

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
More bags.

Attachments

• 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 6

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Here's a good potential theme(s) for it:

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Here's the information about the bags.

Two manufacturers in Mexico. One stated each fake leather bag will be $10 dollars USD and they can handle up to 300 units per volume, per style. Or two bags for $16.50 each. Very few real leather bags.

They can custom make some, but that's a lengthy process. Minimum MOQ is 3 per order.

So I'm suppose to be getting $500 dollars from my parents soon. I'll use that money to buy samples.

I can also have them place on Custom logos as well for each bag.

Cons:

Each manufacturer doesn't have a website, only a Facebook page and a WhatsApp number.

Also finished Steven's book on coaching, it was pretty good.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Curious, what's the reason for selling bags? Is there a gap in the market you can fill? Do you have any experience with bags, buying, using, hearing about problems from people?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Blackdragon and kr8nt - you’re both POS for advocating theft.

It also hurts the forum - why would anyone want to share what they’re doing if they have to worry some POS is going to steal it?

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia
Blackdragon and kr8nt - you’re both POS for advocating theft.

It also hurts the forum - why would anyone want to share what they’re doing if they have to worry some POS is going to steal it?
Where did I say anything about stealing products or businesses?

Zackery said that he can’t get a sample, so I told him that he could use PHOTOS or videos from other sellers selling the same stuff and ONLY TO TEST the product and not waste time, until he can get a sample and take his own pictures and videos.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Do you think Ravens is worried about sharing details about his startup? Do you think I am worried about sharing details about what I do? Do you think Johnny boy is worried about sharing details?

No — because we have real businesses that were built off sweat. If someone wants to steal them, they can be my guest — they will not be able to stomach the work required. But all of you guys with gimmicky businesses, you should all be worried about them being “stolen”, and that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
What Zack is doing now is similar to what I did in the past for multiple ecom attempts. Probably the only difference which I don't see him posting about is targeting a specific niche or marketing angle, and the whole thing looks like a me-too generic business.

You know the kind I'm talking about : generic website that obviously looks like it's done with a Shopify theme and the product totally looks like it's from China or some other poorer country.

And of course, there's only one ending and it's less than 3 sales in 1 year, and that's after burning $2k in ads and another $1k in photography/content costs lol

Not forgetting the 55 pieces of bags in your house which you eventually have to swallow literally lol

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
What Zack is doing now is similar to what I did in the past for multiple ecom attempts. Probably the only difference which I don't see him posting about is targeting a specific niche or marketing angle, and the whole thing looks like a me-too generic business.

You know the kind I'm talking about : generic website that obviously looks like it's done with a Shopify theme and the product totally looks like it's from China or some other poorer country.

And of course, there's only one ending and it's less than 3 sales in 1 year, and that's after burning $2k in ads and another $1k in photography/content costs lol

Not forgetting the 55 pieces of bags in your house which you eventually have to swallow literally lol

I’m not trying to discourage Zachery in any way, sourcing suppliers, getting quotes, doing your budgets and financials are all important skills that will translate across to more ventures, chasing a sale because a bunch of other websites are doing it might not be the answer, especially when the encouragement from others is to steal content to try and get sales and traction.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Curious, what's the reason for selling bags? Is there a gap in the market you can fill? Do you have any experience with bags, buying, using, hearing about problems from people?
An old friend of mine bought an ecommerce store from a mother of two kids. This mother created an ecommerce brand that served mother's with toddlers and kids. She created a brand around them and it was for woman's diaper handbags. I found comments on Instagram saying "OMG, I love this bag" "This bsg is great." So to tell me this idea was worth pursuing. I told my friend that I think she's on to something when she bought this brand.

Sadly the store has been shut down. The bags costed $450 dollars each and to make them were $150 from the manufacturer.

So I thought why not take the idea and see what the marketplace says. Of course I wasn't able to actually replicate or create the same bag that they have created, so I started sourcing around to manufacturers for a bag that was similar. I found a few and posted it on next to kinda create "Soft Validation" for this idea.

The real validate would come from a sale of a bag.

They raised $40k from Kickstart as well.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I’m not trying to discourage Zachery in any way, sourcing suppliers, getting quotes, doing your budgets and financials are all important skills that will translate across to more ventures, chasing a sale because a bunch of other websites are doing it might not be the answer, especially when the encouragement from others is to steal content to try and get sales and traction.
My goal was not chasing a sale, I just found several competitors that were selling the same bag I found many months ago and thought it was funny. It just told me that people were actually buying and interested in the product.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
To be fair, anyone could take this idea and run with it, now that I've been posting about it. What's stopping anyone from trying this to?

I save a list of ideas either I have gathered, or that has been shared with me on a Trello board. If one doesn't work out.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Do you think Ravens is worried about sharing details about his startup? Do you think I am worried about sharing details about what I do? Do you think Johnny boy is worried about sharing details?

No — because we have real businesses that were built off sweat. If someone wants to steal them, they can be my guest — they will not be able to stomach the work required. But all of you guys with gimmicky businesses, you should all be worried about them being “stolen”, and that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned.
Maybe or maybe not, some of the Legends on the forum may want privacy of their businesses and what their doing and not wanting the public forum to know. That could be it to. Some people do appreciate privacy.

Totally love Raven Shadow though, good guy for sure.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Don't worry, I've gotten roasted on the forum plenty of times. It's okay, I won't get discouraged haha.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
An old friend of mine bought an ecommerce store from a mother of two kids. This mother created an ecommerce brand that served mother's with toddlers and kids. She created a brand around them and it was for woman's diaper handbags. I found comments on Instagram saying "OMG, I love this bag" "This bsg is great." So to tell me this idea was worth pursuing. I told my friend that I think she's on to something when she bought this brand.

Sadly the store has been shut down. The bags costed $450 dollars each and to make them were $150 from the manufacturer.

So I thought why not take the idea and see what the marketplace says. Of course I wasn't able to actually replicate or create the same bag that they have created, so I started sourcing around to manufacturers for a bag that was similar. I found a few and posted it on next to kinda create "Soft Validation" for this idea.

The real validate would come from a sale of a bag.

They raised $40k from Kickstart as well.
Why do you think this store is shut down?

If they raised $40,000 from Kickstarter and had a bunch of sales, why would it close? I bet they were not profitable that’s why.

I’m curious as to why you think this would be a successful business if, the business that you got the idea from was not.

Is it just because of a lower price point? If so, wouldn’t the quality of your bag be much less than a $450 bag?

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Why do you think this store is shut down?

If they raised $40,000 from Kickstarter and had a bunch of sales, why would it close? I bet they were not profitable that’s why.

I’m curious as to why you think this would be a successful business if, the business that you got the idea from was not.

Is it just because of a lower price point? If so, wouldn’t the quality of your bag be much less than a $450 bag?
My friend shutdown the store because she didn't continue running the business and purused a different idea.

I believed it would have been a successful business when she bought it because the audience loved the bags and thought they shut it down too early.

I don't plan on pricing the bags around $450 dollars because of the quality. Too much in my eyes.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My friend shutdown the store because she didn't continue running the business and purused a different idea.

I believed it would have been a successful business when she bought it because the audience loved the bags and thought they shut it down too early.

I don't plan on pricing the bags around $450 dollars because of the quality. Too much in my eyes.
Wait a second. If this is your friend, why don’t you just takeover and reopen her store using her manufacturer and brand?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Wait a second. If this is your friend, why don’t you just takeover and reopen her store using her manufacturer and brand?
I was about to ask this... don't re-invent the wheel...

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I tried, she won't let me. Plus I would have to pay $12,000 to takeover.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.