The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eben Pagan's TOP 5 Advised Core Skills To Develop, For Success In Business (Are You Missing Out?)

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Self-Made-Man-2.jpg

(Decide and Commit Right Now To Becoming A Self-Made Man or Self-Made Women)

*Attention: This advice is what Eben Pagan passed on in the video that I will post a link to below*

Skill (noun): The ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well

Eben Pagan's TOP 5 Advised Core Skills To Develop, For Success In Business
1. Your Language

2. Communication

3. Marketing

4. Sales

5. Public Speaking

The price for mastering a skill is your focused effort and precious time. Some people have said that the Mastery of a skill requires around 10,000 hours of practice. I'm not sure if that's an absolute or not, but I am 99.97% sure that if you actually do start the process of mastering these skills now, your future self will thank you kindly.

Your future self might even be much, much wealthier overall.

You do not want to miss out on the possibilities.

* Imagine *

Passenger-Aircraft-on-Sunset-HD-Widescreeen-Wallpaper-1024x640.jpg

Let's imagine that you have now developed yourself to the point that the value of your skills (earning power) is very, very, very high

You have done the required work

You are initiated....

You are now a true master!
Not many people have reached the level you are at, you are now in the 1% !

Great job!

FUN!

For fun, you decide one night that you want to take a trip. A little getaway of sorts...

Well just a short walk outside tomorrow morning

You wake up, the sun is just coming up

You go outside, for what was supposed to be a short walk...

There are birds chirping their playful songs

You start walking down a familiar path, one that you always go on...

After about 10 minutes, you find a nice spot to rest and you look up in the sky

The Majestic Eagle

bald-eagle-flying_858.jpg

After looking up in the sky you see an eagle...

It's effortlessly gliding in the sky in the direction it wants to go

That sight triggers feeling inside of you...

You want to travel somewhere adventurous

You want to get that sense of freedom that the eagle has...

Freedom

Well you actually already have that freedom!

You did what it took to develop the skills that supply you with freedom!

Those skills gave you the ability to earn the money needed to do what you want to do!

So, there is nothing stopping you...

You immediately get a ticket for the next flight to that place you have always wanted to visit

Freedom...

Mission Accomplished.

PS: Here is the link to the video with Eben Pagan talking about the 5 skills. I watched it last year and have been working on developing those skills, but not as much as I would have liked. This summer is going to be my time of focus effort though. What about you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Here is a thought experiment; imagine that you had x-ray vision and could read the true headlines behind copy.

"TOP 5 Advised Core Skills To Develop, For Success In Business"

Becomes

"I'm offical unlike you, so read my five tips as if it is the best you will ever be able to do"

How likely would you then be to watch?
"Oh but its free to watch, and why would you turn down biz advice!" you may say.
But putting on your xray vision again, you would see that what you are really saying is
"My time has no value because I am unofficial, this is the best I will ever be able to do".

THIS is why I do not like Eban Pagans way of writing copy. It is domineering and I think that is fear based, which causes his content to be mostly fluff.

I believe you should avoid being mothered like this if you wanna succeed.
I'm just being brutally honest here.
I think great copy
a) Knows its product
b) Knows its customer
c) Knows the actions it needs to facilitate to meet a need
d) Hold empowerment rather than fear behind the copy

I don't believe copy should "leech" on peoples time. It leads to bitterness eventually, not happy and fulfilled lifetime customers.
Yes copy can be powerful, but we can also use common sense in its deployment, and rather than SPAMMING variations on the same point, we can clarify the distinctions and leave it short, sweet, and unintrusive.

That is just my two cents on him.

Here is an article or two on what I believe is important
http://foreverjobless.com/how-to-create-a-business-that-prints-money/
http://unicornfree.com/2013/how-do-you-create-a-product-people-want-to-buy

These are product centered, not presentation centered.
Eban, is all about presentation, but that imo, can't be used outside of his industry niche (seminars, webinars, and lead generation into products that lead generate).
It spins its wheels, until you get solid on what needs you are meeting.
Then I believe in scale, in automation, in financials, simple/accessible/agile, and no nonsense conversion.

I don't like the idea of wishwash in the sales process, you risk looking unprofessional, which for many products can equal death AND a huge waste of TIME TIME TIME!!!

CENTS is cool because it is
NEED
ENTRY
CONTROL
SCALE
TIME

NEED first, then removing what can leave you dead in the water, then making sure you scale without wasting time.
NEED first(product), YOU second(people), SCALE and TIME in your favor(process... for if you watch the profit).

Shortened, Scale, Automation/Goodleverage and meeting need when unimpeeded is a crucial foundation to success.
Public speaking can be outsourced, language is about NEEDS, sales and marketting is the same as traffic and conversions.

To me, this sends the message "be obsessed with how you appear" and I disagree. Doing due diligence is my first concern, then my financials (traffic, and conversion), then needs, then I do up an idea on how to scale and look to outsource the necessary requirements which is straight forwards once you understand need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Public speaking is a must. You never know when you will be called upon to speak on a topic.

Toastmasters is the most famous and popular organization for learning public speaking and leadership skills. They are fantastic. You learn not only to the public speaking aspect but the speaking off the cuff (you engage in 'table topics' which are random questions you have to speak about for a minute).

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
@Simon Ashari In my mind, it's a must for me no doubt. If anyone takes it on I bet it will surely do them good. After reading, or listening rather, to "How To Win Friends and Influence People" it became even clearer that I need to focus on improving my 'people skills' since it's one of the most important, if not the most important skill.

I have plans to get involved with Toastmasters. There are several locations not far from where I am at, but, in time. I have to complete a few other things first. For my business degree(s), taking a public speaking class is required at the college/university I will be transferring to and I want to be seasoned before I enroll in that class. So Toastmasters is perfect! :)

@RogueInnovation Thank you for the links and your feedback. Plus I definitely need to re-read MJ's book.

I think the 'presentation' that Eben does is just meant be very effective for persuading people to pay attention to what he has to offer and take part in it (the marketing). Then once that happens, I am sure he delivers.

I've heard him talk about "Moving the Free Line" ... where he gives value first, then he sells (nothing new now). Also, instead of having the mindset of "How do I get a million people to give me $1 ?" He says something like this "How do I give away $1,000 worth of value to 10,000 people, and then ask for $100 in return?" The free videos he has online, I've gotten value from them.

Bottom line is that the founder of the mentoring group that I am a part of has made 8 figures + online over the past few years and attributes Eben Pagan as being his most valuable mentor. I also know of other people who had Eben's help and are now authority figures and/or are very successful in the online business space too. To me, that is major proof of the legitimacy and value that Eben provides.

PS: The post was mainly about the skills. Forget everything else of the post if you would like. If any person develops those skills I am sure he or she is on the path to significant success.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I have plans to get involved with Toastmasters. There are several locations not far from where I am at, but, in time. I have to complete a few other things first. For my business degree(s), taking a public speaking class is required at the college/university I will be transferring to and I want to be seasoned before I enroll in that class. So Toastmasters is perfect!

Sounds like a smart university making you do that.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
This summer is going to be my time of focus effort though.
nice post until here but...
why not NOW?
:headbanger: talking about what you will do in the future in a general way doesn't help too much, does it?
What are the daily steps you are taking right now to condition yourself to a new behavior?

Eben Pagan talks about another concept that he calls "inevitability thinking" - to set yourself in a position where you cannot not do something. The idea is to almost forcibly condition yourself to do something, for example give your friend $100 and you only get it back if you finish your project by next week.

The story is a "feel good" stuff but unless you set precise daily goals, it's hard to change old behaviors...

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
unless you set precise daily goals, it's hard to change old behaviors...

I agree with you there man.

I've been using Wunderlist daily in order to help me develop new productive habits and I have been completing the to-dos.

I had a few college courses but last night (midnight final lol) was the last day for that semester, so now I have one summer course coming up but I will keep implementing my plan with even more free time.

I've been "setting the context"...

Physically -> Emotionally -> Mentally/Intellectually -> ...

The intellectual skill I've been focusing on has been, Marketing.

It was also important for me to get in state/flow first and I'm feeling it now.

As long as nothing bad happens to me (I witnessed several car accidents last weekend; one in the rear-view mirror and the other ahead of me) I should be making progress this summer, daily. Trust ;)

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Just be wary that Eban, covers only one end of the spectrum.
He is more about "pain relief" and "wholistic approach" which is very markettable when you are the top player. It is a less great approach when you aren't a top player, and ceases to be a really effective strategy and is more "wishy washy".

MJ is more on the spectrum as "cut down on cr#p and get moving", which is more simplistic/active and eventually targets a wider market place by allowing you to focus on product validation, and weeding out BS that isn't going to work, before it robs you of your TIME.

Always be wary of advice that asks of you TIME AND FAITH.
Gimme honesty, and a half list of what works any day, over "time and faith" cuz it makes me feel like I'm on a wild goose chase if I'm doing that.

I'd be happy to see some of his concepts DISTILLED DOWN into ONE PAGE. If he did that, I'd buy it.
Otherwise, I don't use copy as a mentor, better to bite the bullet and do stuff, yeah?
I don't think you HAVE to be a great speaker cuz
VCs don't care that much
You probably can get by with a few lessons on voice training (I did a few with a singer)
Knowing financials/projections and how to describe the opportunity is what VCs are more looking for than your vernacular and speech (if you sell it too well or speak to well they are gonna give you shit)

Sales doesn't require great speech, it just requires sales exp.

My point is, its not as universal as it appears to be "wholistic", and infact may just cause you to neglect business fundamentals that will get you there quicker.

Never buy persuasion over reality.
Its tempting, but sooner or later it bites you on the butt cuz you have all these courses etc done and yet nothing to show for it.

What business are you pursuing? How is this specifically adding value to THAT business?
If its not adding to THAT biz, then maybe you should see this as a non essential, personal purchase.
And in that case, I say, screw the safety blanket! Rough it! Learn the ways of the wild!
Knock down doors and make stuff happen rather than theorising on how to move forward a mm.

Big bold ballsy steps, thats the truth syrum right there. Give that a try, and then compare notes between eban and what you got done.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.