The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domain name registration and trademark questions

spanishpoet

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 7, 2011
Hi folks,

When registering a dot COM, what other suffixes should I consider registering as well? I don't want to buy all of them.

How do I go about trademarking or protecting my business name (same as website) so no one else uses it?

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
If you intend to go into business with that particular name, a standard .com address and a trademark would be fine, given that no one else is currently using that name in business. It wouldn't hurt to snap up a hyphenated domain (if your domain is two words, etc.). This is just my opinion, but I just don't see a reason to burn up funds snapping up all the domains you can. Once you have an established business at a given domain, most people wont' try to compete against you with the same domain with different suffixes. Also, if your name is trademarked, they legally can't hold your a domain with your trademarked expression for ransom. Again, this is from my experience. Others' experiences may be different.

Also, I used Legalzoom for a trademark I attempted to file. It got denied as my description was not detailed enough. A $500 lesson. I would hire an attorney to help you with your trademark to get it right the first time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.