The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does anyone "need" to workout to feel their best?

do you "need" to workout to feel their best?

• Yes I need it.

Votes: 46 80.7%
  • I'm ok without it.

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
More and more people seem to think that doing exercise and creating wealth are related.

How about these guys?

Warren Buffett
Charlie Munger
Donald Trump
Bill Gates
Steve Jobs
Mark Zuckerberg
Ingvar Kamprad
Sam Walton
Ted Turner

This is close to the top 10 richest guys on the planet. All billionaires.
Not one of them did any exercise.

So how is that?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
More and more people seem to think that doing exercise and creating wealth are related.

How about these guys?

Warren Buffett
Charlie Munger
Donald Trump
Bill Gates
Steve Jobs
Mark Zuckerberg
Ingvar Kamprad
Sam Walton
Ted Turner

This is close to the top 10 richest guys on the planet. All billionaires.
Not one of them did any exercise.

So how is that?

Firstly,
Doing exercise and maximizing your performance ARE related. Whether the performance increase is used for wealth creation, writing poetry, or designing architecture obviously depends on the inclination of the individual.

Secondly, who is to say those entrepreneurs you listed above would have not benefited from increasing their level of exercise? Can you control for such an experiment with alternate universes for an accurate comparison and measurement of results? Of course not, so you cannot assume their success would or would not be greater without the implementation of exercise in their rituals.

Thirdly, many of those above did/do engage in exercise. Warren Buffett was an avid weightlifter in his youth. Job's would do all his best thinking, negotiating, and planning while taking long multi-hour walks. Ted turner was not only a world accomplished yachtsmen which requires excellent fitness, he also started his mornings with an exercise regime. Gates RUNS an hour on a treadmill every morning. Etc, etc.

Finally, exercise and peak mental performance are scientifically proven to be associated, see book posting above.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Sorry, but I think the argumentation is weak.

Your alternative universe argument works in reverse as well. Create an alternative universe where you didn't do so much exercise and let's see what difference it makes for your wealth. What would you do with the extra hours that you spent in your own universe on the treadmill.

Gates - and Branson by the way - never did any exercise until they got older and decided they wanted to push off old age.

There are a lot guys like Ted Turner who engage in competitive outdoor sports, like hunting (Sam Walton) or water racing with boats (Turner, Branson, Larry Ellison), but what I think is going on there is their competitive side that comes out. They simply want to be the best in some activity or they have an inclination to defy the odds no matter what (Branson trying to kill himself in a balloon).

Dan Pena is another guy like that. At the age of 68 he had to jump off one of the highest bungee jumps of the planet. On his 70th birthday he will jump off the highest.

What I'm seeing is people wanting to delay their aging process and they exercise for that reason. This is a trend that picked up steam only in the last two decades.

Meanwhile all the guys that built up their wealth before that period never did any exercise.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
I really wish my work can allow me hit the gym atlease 3-4 times a week. I really know what great benefits it gives, but then...which comes first. Work or gym to keep fit and feel great?
No you do have time.

I am pretty sure that I work more hours than you, and I can work out, so you can too.
I work an average of 4300 hours a year on paper, but in reality it would be more like 4900 hours, as "Preparation" time does not count. and that is only for my "Official" job, next to that I train people, write a book and build my website atm.
This equals the same as 2.3-2.8 times that an average person works. I have worked more in the past, and still managed to work out with that.

All you need to start working out is 5 minutes. everyone has 5 minutes a day, somewhere.
On the real busy days I will work out 5 minutes in the morning, 5 minutes before lunch and 5 minutes at night. As long as it's intensive enough, it works.

The_Dude

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 11, 2015
Working out is great for your mind and body, and gives you more confidence. Walking out of the gym after a hard workout is a great feeling. I'll never forget a quote from Vince McMahon I read before, “Everything's better when you're in shape…Food tastes better. Sex is better. Even breathing is easier."

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Same for me as you OP. If I haven't worked out any day, I feel a lack of discipline and a blurred state in my mind.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Sorry, but I think the argumentation is weak.

Your alternative universe argument works in reverse as well. Create an alternative universe where you didn't do so much exercise and let's see what difference it makes for your wealth. What would you do with the extra hours that you spent in your own universe on the treadmill.

Gates - and Branson by the way - never did any exercise until they got older and decided they wanted to push off old age.

There are a lot guys like Ted Turner who engage in competitive outdoor sports, like hunting (Sam Walton) or water racing with boats (Turner, Branson, Larry Ellison), but what I think is going on there is their competitive side that comes out. They simply want to be the best in some activity or they have an inclination to defy the odds no matter what (Branson trying to kill himself in a balloon).

Dan Pena is another guy like that. At the age of 68 he had to jump off one of the highest bungee jumps of the planet. On his 70th birthday he will jump off the highest.

What I'm seeing is people wanting to delay their aging process and they exercise for that reason. This is a trend that picked up steam only in the last two decades.

Meanwhile all the guys that built up their wealth before that period never did any exercise.

Sure you don't need to exercise to become wealthy. But what about living a great life, feeling more confident, building a solid foundation that makes you live longer (combined with eating healthy). Sometimes people get to focused on becoming wealthy and less about their own health.

Or a lot of people focus so hard on wealth but neglect any other area of their life.

Like:

Building a great social circle
Having a great sexlife
Eating healthy
Studying some spiritual leaders and get a hum of how you fit in this society

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
This doesn't make sense to me from being a nurse aide! Simply, I've seen ill people have good moods, and a healthy mindset, regardless of their physical state. I've seen people that can't move at all and get out of bed, be able to have a positive mindset and mood, as well as the victim mindset. There developmentally and mentally impaired that overcome their moods and mental state with out working out.

While it does have benefits, I think it's more to do with the mind, and even watched them overcome their physical disabilities through the medicine, mind, and physical therapy or working out, but still the thoughts, emotions, feelings, have to be dealt with first, before action takes place to work out. As any navy seal will tell you to do what they do physically they must be mentally tough and pass through the fear, emotions, and feelings.

Sure, the body may function at it's best from nutrition and working out, but what I've seen the nutrition isn't always the best, or physical capabilities, but still seem them functioning at their best.

It's probably a combination of the hit of dopamine and the contributing factors that exercise reduces stress, energising you and boosts self-confidence etc.. I haven't had time to go to the gym recently (working 50 hours a week average for an employer) but that work came to an end on Tuesday so I can start exercising again. So far just 40 minute walks through the forest with the dog early in the morning but that does the trick at the moment as I certainly feel better for it and it sets me up for the day.

Regarding people overcome their physical disabilities to workout this video was very inspiring (posted it as a new thread as it might inspire more people).

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...eople-have-my-respect-what-about-yours.58978/

Last edited by a moderator:

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Sure you don't need to exercise to become wealthy. But what about living a great life, feeling more confident, building a solid foundation that makes you live longer (combined with eating healthy). Sometimes people get to focused on becoming wealthy and less about their own health.

Or a lot of people focus so hard on wealth but neglect any other area of their life.

Like:

Building a great social circle
Having a great sexlife
Eating healthy
Studying some spiritual leaders and get a hum of how you fit in this society

Sure, that's what exercise is good for.

What I see is that there are 2 separate trends going on simultaneously.

On the one hand, the self help/how to get rich/passive income/fastlane trend and

at the same time, the self help/how to get healthy/live long or live forever trend.

And both trends appeal roughly to the same people.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Sure, that's what exercise is good for.

What I see is that there are 2 separate trends going on simultaneously.

On the one hand, the self help/how to get rich/passive income/fastlane trend and

at the same time, the self help/how to get healthy/live long or live forever trend.

And both trends appeal roughly to the same people.

Yes true. I think as people start to study living a healthy life, living with peace and doing what you want, then more and more people realise that having a 9-5 job for the rest of their life isn't what they want. And because they have seen countless ads on the internet with a guy in a hammock telling you to earn passive income, they will be drawn to start something.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Man I do NEED to work out to feel right.

It doesn't have to be much - 15 minutes of simple stuff 6 days a week, in my house.

I can do that, and I have a job, a business, 2 kids, a wife, family, friends, retailers, customers, i sit on the PTA board, browse this forum, do daily updates on my website, manufacture my own products, cook for my family, run a hous hold, and use the bathroom several times a day.

Anyone that bitches about not having time deserves a brick to the face. We all get 24 hours a day. It is your fault you don't know how to manage it.
Supposing am to be in the office from 8 or 9am up till 8 or 9pm in the night, how am i supposed to fit gym into my daily schedule?
Get a different job

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.