The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does a shock "collar" help to condition myself ?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
I am currently trying to improve some of my habits. One of these is drinking too much cola. The question is does a shock collar still work if I apply this shock myself?
When I am drinking cola and shocking my self, does my brain still associate cola as something bad?
I was looking for a device like this : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07P83FTR5/

Greetings Losspost

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I am currently trying to improve some of my habits. One of these is drinking too much cola. The question is does a shock collar still work if I apply this shock myself?
When I am drinking cola and shocking my self, does my brain still associate cola as something bad?
I was looking for a device like this : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07P83FTR5/

Greetings Losspost
I believe you just have to see it as trading one cola for some other drink that is much healthier. I believe the more you are focused on it, the harder it is. I usually just work on a habit every day to break it with food lately. I don't think you need a shock collar.

Write down what is stressing you out every day. Write down what you grab to consume. Is it out of habit, or is it just the only thing available?

The other thing is emotionally eating. If you write it down when your stressed, and ask what the event is at the moment, or what are you thinking about, or what is someone saying to you at the time, you then can pin point why your consuming food or any other vice for that matter.

How hard it is it to let it go? Usually, it's easy to let it go, you just believe you need to fulfill some type of desire, want, or need out of the situation.

You have to address what that need, want, or desire is at the time.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I believe you just have to see it as trading one cola for some other drink that is much healthier. I believe the more you are focused on it, the harder it is. I usually just work on a habit every day to break it with food lately. I don't think you need a shock collar.

Write down what is stressing you out every day. Write down what you grab to consume. Is it out of habit, or is it just the only thing available?

The other thing is emotionally eating. If you write it down when your stressed, and ask what the event is at the moment, or what are you thinking about, or what is someone saying to you at the time, you then can pin point why your consuming food or any other vice for that matter.

How hard it is it to let it go? Usually, it's easy to let it go, you just believe you need to fulfill some type of desire, want, or need out of the situation.

You have to address what that need, want, or desire is at the time.
i do believe people have addictions.

tobacco, coffee, drugs and even coca cola( caffeine)

From outside it sounds silly that you can’t stop drinking cola.
It’s the same as saying an anxious person to stop being anxious. But there’s steps that could be taken to get there.

The only thing I recommend is a change of routine / get busy.

I’m not saying shock bracelets/ similar devices won’t work. I just find it easier my way.

I’m an avid smoker, but I’m trying to reduce them. Know what?

If I’m doing nothing all day,bI’m smoking for every possible reason. Boredom, happiness, sadnesses, you name it.

If I’m busy, I forget to smoke. It’s not the same as quitting, yes, but it means I can stop with proper action.

Get busy, force yourself to drink water instead of cola. Let us know when you’re addicted to water.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Stop buying cola, that way you don't even have it in your house. Stop drinking it and eventually it will literally taste nasty to you compared to water.

I have a friend who literally used to drink L and L of cola. He would have Coke beside his bed in case he woke up at night and wanted a drink.

He still drinks it when he is out and has a fountain pop or something, but he doesn't have it in his house, so drinking it at home is not even an option.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
i do believe people have addictions.

Obvious addictions are one thing, legal addictions that culture normalizes are the real danger...

Sugar...
Processed food...
Smartphone use...
Social media use...
Video games...

Ultimately people never recognize the legal addictions that are destroying their dreams/health/life. Such legal addictions are now business models.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
If you don't have it in the house, you cannot drink it. Stop buying it. It's a very simple process to leave it at the store rather putting it into your basket.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
If you don't have it in the house, you cannot drink it. Stop buying it. It's a very simple process to leave it at the store rather putting it into your basket.
^^^ i second this. MJ mentioned killing bad habits with the inconvenience or waging war on the right fields. It seems to be easier to avoid harmful things when you don't let them into your surroundings, where they can compete for your attention when you feel an urge(cue) ... and eventually you do the... "oh 1 xyz isn't going to hurt, I've been on track". can't tell you how many times i've been sent into a downward spiral because of that exscuse

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
If it was that easy. I often go shopping after coming home from university. I have read an interesting report that the more hard decision you make, the harder it gets to make other hard decision (e.g. don't buy cola). Would it help to only go shopping in the morning before I had all this stress?

I have a friend who literally used to drink L and L of cola. He would have Coke beside his bed in case he woke up at night and wanted a drink.
It's not that extreme, but it still bugs me. I mostly get a bottle (0.5l-0.6l) in the evening while watching something. I am not fat, but I want to get to the point you can see my own abdominal muscle which obviously needs a very healthy nourishment.

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
^^^ i second this. MJ mentioned killing bad habits with the inconvenience or waging war on the right fields. It seems to be easier to avoid harmful things when you don't let them into your surroundings, where they can compete for your attention when you feel an urge(cue) ... and eventually you do the... "oh 1 xyz isn't going to hurt, I've been on track". can't tell you how many times i've been sent into a downward spiral because of that exscuse
Funny enough I Was able to do this with other sweets like chocolate, M&M and other stuff but not with cola.

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
Yeah but how do I turn it into and "did it" ?. I already tried different methods. e.g. reducing the amount over time. The problem is how it started. We have 1 month long exam session. There I drank a cola after an exam or a very hard day. But because the last one was particular stressful it drank almost every day one. Since then I cant stop.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
If it was that easy. I often go shopping after coming home from university. I have read an interesting report that the more hard decision you make, the harder it gets to make other hard decision (e.g. don't buy cola). Would it help to only go shopping in the morning before I had all this stress?

It's not that extreme, but it still bugs me. I mostly get a bottle (0.5l-0.6l) in the evening while watching something. I am not fat, but I want to get to the point you can see my own abdominal muscle which obviously needs a very healthy nourishment.
Yes, it is that easy. Face the facts. When you pick up that soda at the store, you have already made the decision to drink it. Your exercise in "reasoning" is where you are making silly, childish excuses for yourself.

(I know, I know. The dog ate your homework and your little brother... the teacher upset you ... and the neighborhood bully put that bottle of soda into your hand...)

Here's the bottom line. It's your brain. It's your body. It's your choice.

Since you are letting this become such an issue in your life, what are you going to do when the bigger choices come your way? You are still in school. Life has huge mountains for you to climb in your future. There will be a lot of choices where you must deny yourself to either do the right thing or to make things work. This is only the beginning, Grasshopper.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
What an idiotic reason to want to stop drinking coke. You won't get abs or lose fat in your abdominal area if you cut coke, lol.

You need to be on a caloric deficit. 0.5L of coke is around 200 calories. Your excess fat isn't related to your coke consumption at all.

Plus, why do you even want abs? So you can get laid? Women don't really find a man who obsesses about his lack of abs particularly attractive. Especially one that would consider wearing a shock collar to stop drinking coke.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
What an idiotic reason to want to stop drinking coke. You won't get abs or lose fat in your abdominal area if you cut coke, lol.

You need to be on a caloric deficit. 0.5L of coke is around 200 calories. Your excess fat isn't related to your coke consumption at all.

Plus, why do you even want abs? So you can get laid? Women don't really find a man who obsesses about his lack of abs particularly attractive. Especially one that would consider wearing a shock collar to stop drinking coke.
He's a perfectionist. He thinks if he can control his consumption of Coke, he can have complete control over his life -- with no surprises or failures. The Coke is only a symbol for that element of life that is also known as chaos or anti-chance. Maybe some day he'll come to the point where he'll develop a higher level of self-confidence -- from which he will know in his heart that he can handle things as they come, without the dog collar.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I'm four years sober on caffeinated soda as was a heavy Coke and Dr. Pepper consumer from a kid to my mid-40s. Had a great cause and effect as the only booze drink I like is rum and coke so basically quit drinking too. The affects on my health been amazing. Only drink water and smoothies and while not Mr. Sixpack Im 1000% more healthy than when I would pound 64 ounces in a day.

Keeping all crap out of my house is key and when out and about I just think of all those empty calories and the glorious power of water.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Watch this
View: https://youtu.be/QmOF0crdyRU

Pick Atomic Habits and read it.

Then use insights from both. Using the collar is not necessary.

Neuroscience helped me a lot with my habits, especially understanding dopamine and how it influences behavior.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Most people who meet me now would be shocked to lean I was an addicted smoker. Those still troubling often ask “How did you quit?“ “Was it hard?” Etc.

1. It wasn’t easy but it wasn‘t long or hard. I made a decision.
2. I later learned a better way and improved my health too. The better way is…

to the OP

If your identity changes, you will not have a craving, change then happens in an instant. What do I mean? Your identity with this idea of shock collar is “I am a cola drinker and i want to quit”. Punishment is a form of conditioning. This method can work but there is a better way. You need to change your identity to “I don’t drink coke, unless its a social event” and then discard the “unless…” part.

Other examples:

1. “I am not a runner” vs “I am a runner just slow until I train more”
  2. “I am a smoker trying to quit” vs “I am a successful entrepreneur and as one, I don’t smoke, it’s is not who I am. There are social smoke exceptions but I am not a smoker” - See? Difference in identity?
  3. ”I am fat and trying to lose weight” vs “I am an example to my children, friends and employees, I’ve put on an extra few pounds that will come off with better food choices. What can I eat today to help with that?”

I could go on… but the message is simple. Think hard about who you are deep within. Nurture that identity that you know is you. Temporary setback is easy to fix, fighting your identity - a whole different matter.

One more tip: ask yourself better questions. Instead of “will this shock collar thing work?” Ask, what can I do right this moment to move closer to my goal? Closer to my real identity? Answer: move that crap in the garbage and our of your home.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.