The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Developing/Manufacturing a product questions...

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
hey guys, I have been working on developing a certain product for a while now with a pretty cool twist to it but have been very hesitant due to the legal issues with new products because I am very unfamiliar with it all. Without spilling what eactly my product is, it is basically something to make things smell better but I am wondering what type of standards the product would have to meet to be able to legally be sold, if I could start to manufacture it from home (which I would prefer to do, but im not sure if its legal), how to get it approved to be sold due to the fact it is a scent and I am not sure if it will have to be examined by chemists to make sure it is not harmful to the consumer...any advice? I really think its a great alternative to some products currently out on the market and would love to pursue the making and marketing of it but just unsure of how to get started... thanks everybody :thankyousign:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
you can make things at home. start small, so long as you are not working with any dangerous chemicals, that you have to worry about fire hazards or that require special disposal methods, then don't worry. knowing the effect of chemicals you are working on will determine how safe. i never did good in chemistry so things like that are out of my realm, but i do use google to research each chemical. good luck.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
thanks for the input, i really enjoy this forum because everytime I post something I actually get intelligent responses that are helpful :thankyousign:

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I know if you are selling a food product that your kitchen needs to meet certain standards. You may want to check with your local health department.

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
one of my main ingrediants for the product I was thinking of making was scented oils but now I am reading on some sites that scented oils are being investigated as causing health problems which now makes me doubt even considering this product and getting sued down the line for people blaming the oil...is that being a little too precautious?

RaisingWealth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 12, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
My recommendation in that regard would be to consult a lawyer. In the end though; why would you need to be any more worried about that then your competitors?

As a side note; perhaps your city has a entrepreneur group you could join. There are many advantages to being active in your local entrepreneurial community.

Smooth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Mar 20, 2010
Be sure you meet FDA, CPSC and other regulations. Post any questions you may have on linkedin. But in order to get advise from anywhere, you are going to need to be able to talk about your product in more detail. Therefore you should look into any Intellectual property rights issues now so you can protest your idea and talk to other in more detail and with more confidence.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.