The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Developing/Creating a Project From Scratch....Any experience?

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
I have an idea for a consumer electronics appliance. It's not a new product but a combination of a 2. The process seems to be

1. Draw up idea and features
2. Get someone to draw the plans or 3D Drawings
3. Get someone to create a working protoyype

I went to manufacturers on Alibaba to see if they would modify their product to fit my needs. No one was willing to do this. So, I went to Odesk and Elance with my sketch to see if someone could do the drawings and get me a working prototype from that sketch, that has been unsuccessful too. Either they only do the drawings and not prototype, or their English/portfolio isn't up to par.

I think I am going to have to hire 2 people, one for the plans/drawings, the other for the prototype. I wanted to have one person to do these so there wouldn't be a bunch of back and forth on revisions and etc.

Any one have any experience with this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
PM me... I got a graphic designer who i use for all of my projects. Can do prototyping, 3D/2D drawings, real world rendering, blueprint, etc...
This guy got the best damn portfolio Ive ever seen and he always a skype click away.

For your "idea", are you sure that you are communicating the functionality and requirements to your manufacturers in a way thats easily understood? The language barrier will sometimes present a barrier when trying to pitch a new concept to a manufacturer. Having a physical design to follow up with your requirements always help.

Also, make sure you are actually contacting manufacturers and not trading companies/middle men. Manufacturers are always willing to build something new/modify an existing product if you can meet their MOQ.
Figuring out if you are dealing with the actual manufacturer can be as simple as just asking... another method is to simply check the company profile on Alibaba. It will either say Manufacturer or Trading company, or sometimes even both.

Another method is to simply look at their product listing. Manufacturers usually specialize in a specific category that requires similar materials/engineering, etc. If a company is selling inflatable pools as well as cellphones and wristwatches ... chances are, you are dealing with a trading company. That's not what you want, find the company who is creating products in one area or areas that require the same tooling and material etc.

Good luck!

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
I will PM you now.

I believe I am dealing with the manufacturers because I weeded out a middle man. Like you said the manufacturers really do their niche which is somewhat of a negative for my product because I am combining 2 niches and I don't think the manufactures want to jump into another niche.

Also, I believe I am communicating it well BUT thats from my POV so maybe I am not.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
1. Draw up idea and features
2. Get someone to draw the plans or 3D Drawings
3. Get someone to create a working protoyype

I think there might be a step missing in there - Step X. Validate concept with market before spending $xx,xxx on prototypes and drawings.

I'm no business genius, but I learned the hard way that what I think is cool/useful/going to sell is meaningless. What my friends think about my idea is equally meaningless. It's what the market thinks that's what's important. There are cheap ways to test the veracity of your idea before plunking down a lot of money thinking it will sell (and by test, I mean people whip out their credit cards).

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
I think there might be a step missing in there - Step X. Validate concept with market before spending $xx,xxx on prototypes and drawings.

I'm no business genius, but I learned the hard way that what I think is cool/useful/going to sell is meaningless. What my friends think about my idea is equally meaningless. It's what the market thinks that's what's important. There are cheap ways to test the veracity of your idea before plunking down a lot of money thinking it will sell (and by test, I mean people whip out their credit cards).

You are right, I just want to know what is the process and if anyone has any insight.

Also, this isn't my idea. I was on vacation and I heard a lady say "There has got to be an easier way to..." and I said to myself "NEED!", so I then went on amazon and ebay looking for that product and didn't see it. I also went looking to see if others also thought this was a need and there were some forum activity. My next step, is to take the drawings or renders and create a FB profile to see if people want that actual product. Similar to what Vick did with his sunglasses.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Gotcha - Vick was the person I was thinking of when I wrote that.

BTW I've found Facebook ads to be incredibly helpful. With a great picture of the product I think you'd know pretty quickly if something was going to sell or not. Keep us posted!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Gotcha - Vick was the person I was thinking of when I wrote that.

BTW I've found Facebook ads to be incredibly helpful. With a great picture of the product I think you'd know pretty quickly if something was going to sell or not. Keep us posted!

Definitely! We ran a FB mobile ad campaign for out app and it helped immensely.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.