The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Corporate Fitness

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Alright guys, I wanted to log my progress with self-employment. I am 24 and based in NYC.

I am not doing this for accountability. I am very accountable and focused on my goals. I don't quit on things. If I have a failure, I pick back up and fix what went wrong.

I am doing this to hopefully share some helpful things and maybe have some honest feedback from those more experienced.

Briefly

-I run my own personal training business that I started 3 months ago. http://www.trainwitha.com
-I have a design project with a hedge fund. The design project is building an office gym.
-I am working on corporate fitness programs. The idea here is to have corporations contract me to run wellness programs.

Accomplishments (Small so far, but motivating)

-I've grossed 11365 dollars since August from personal training, and I am just getting started. I've grossed this working 10-15 hour per week...I do work much more, but doing things I am not being paid for but will increase profits (web design, promotion, I write for a website, networking). What I enjoy most is I feel like I do not work. I am excited everyday. I work for myself.
-I have a very good network including the owners of a Hedge Fund that I work with. Great people.
-I have a CTO of a Hedge Fund helping me network, and offer some mentoring. Great guy.
-I landed my first paid design gig. Selection of gym equipment and layout is what I am in charge of.

Obstacles

-Initial funding. Not really an obstacle, but just the cost of business. I have been spending all of my money (besides rent and bill money), on graphic design (just had website logo made), uniforms, gym equipment (body fat testing machine, equipment for home workouts etc.), travel, gym rental space, promotional products (business cards, flyers).
-Finding more clientele. Not working for a gym has made it harder to get in front of people that need training. Solution - Asking clients for referrals. Setting up corporate events at the Hedge Fund (corporate challenges). I made friends with the owner of the gym I rent space from and she is going to let me advertise to her other members and recommended to start after the Jewish holidays. I will be trying to partner with other local businesses and Doctors offices.

Goals (1 year)

-3 employees
-30-40 hours of personal training per week.
-1 corporate account for wellness services.
-3 design projects.

Goals (5 year)

-25 employees
-15-20 corporate accounts
-30 design projects
-200 hours of PT work (all given to my employees while I work on bigger things).

Goals (8-10 years)

-5 personal training gyms (Upper West, Upper East, Midtown, West Village, East Village)
-50 employees
-30 Corporate Accounts
-1000 hours of PT work

Overall goal is to be the go to guy for fitness in NYC. Designing gyms in corporations and outsourcing personal training staff to run wellness programs at actual businesses eliminating the need for third party gyms.

Only way I am going to be able to accomplish this is by leveraging my network and being the best at what I do. I won't be name dropping, but I have made very good friends with the owners, as I said before, of a top 50 Hedge Fund in NYC. It's led to meetings of many people of status. I also have other friends in positions like such. I've gotten lucky.

One thing to remember in life is to be nice to everyone. Be genuine. You don't know who you will meet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
Hi Austin,

I actually handle marketing/operations development for a few trainers down here in Southern California, and one thing I find that works wonders is the use of results photos on the homepage. I doubled conversion rates with this tactic. High quality photos are a must!

Also, when I highlight over your photo, it shows the default import title. I would suggest getting rid of that.

Add those client before/afters along with the testimonials for an added bonus.

If you need any guidance, let me know. A close friend of mine was in your position at one point. I've worked with him all the way up to where he is now, so I know the process he went through to get there. Obviously I can't say exact steps, but I can answer questions and point you in the right direction.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Hi Austin,

I actually handle marketing/operations development for a few trainers down here in Southern California, and one thing I find that works wonders is the use of results photos on the homepage. I doubled conversion rates with this tactic. High quality photos are a must!

Also, when I highlight over your photo, it shows the default import title. I would suggest getting rid of that.

Add those client before/afters along with the testimonials for an added bonus.

If you need any guidance, let me know. A close friend of mine was in your position at one point. I've worked with him all the way up to where he is now, so I know the process he went through to get there. Obviously I can't say exact steps, but I can answer questions and point you in the right direction.

I appreciate that. It's launched, but I have not been advertising with it yet. Working on getting rid of those kinks. I also hired a photographer for action shots of me training clients. I still need to upload the logo.AustinStehling5 (1).jpg

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I've always heard people talk about "falling in love with life."

I've never felt so in love with life until I became self employed and began these ventures. It's like a game I thoroughly enjoy playing everyday. Strategizing, making moves, it just keeps me feeling amazing. I can't wait every night when going to bed to wake up the next day to attack goals.

I have a smile on my face 24/7. I want to scream and shout in the streets (I don't obviously), because I feel so much joy. That in of itself is worth so much to me.

I never want to feel any other way.

I love a challenge, I love being my own boss.

Current Projects for next week.

Putting together a proposal for 4 corporate ideas that I will be presenting to the CTO.
My first table event at a gym to promote my business. I have quite a few selling tools to aid my sales pitch, so I am working on that presentation.
Writing my next paid article for the fitness website that hired me.

I have been contacting old leads and friends to help with referrals. Goal is two more clients this month.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Progress update - Working on a few big projects...I always feel funny sharing these ideas, so I won't be too vocal until it's underway.

-Had my first referral client today which was a big step. She'll be netting me an extra 1020 a month in income. It's my first sale self employed. Super excited, I am picking up momentum.

-Had beautiful posters made, at least I think they are that will be hung in affiliating businesses. With promotions, discounts and testimonial from clientele that work at the said companies.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
So I've picked up 8 new clients since I last posted; retaining all but one of my previous clients who is out due to surgery. I have a new client starting on Thursday so if she plans on sticking around, make that 9 and there are works for a few more who expressed purchases at the start of the new year.

I am making 1000s more per month than my last post.I hope to gross 5 digit monthly income come February and I am on track for that. I had some rocky times, but things are kicking in.

I am full fledged working on a boot camp that is launching in April and I plan to make it the soul cycle of boot camp fitness. I'll give more details in time, but it's big, at least I think it is. NYC offers such a platform for those in the fitness industry to make a killing. Create something trendy and the sky is the limit. I think I have the next big trend to fitness coming out this year.

I learned two very important things about myself the past 3 months.

-I work extremely well under pressure and hit goals when crucial. At the very beginning of this I had some financial slumps that I turned around quickly.

-I can't quit on the things I believe in. I have this driving force in me that won't let me quit, even on the toughest of days I only see up, I can't ever see myself not achieving my goals.

Plan on posting some more frequent details at they come.

Thanks for checking this all out :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.