• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Copywriting Challenge May 2018 (Join me)

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Joaquim, May 1, 2018.

1. Joaquim

Joaquim Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $930
    A couple of years ago I read a thread from @oldscool. That is how I got to know what Copywriting actually was. So all credits go to @oldscool.

I have followed one Udemy course on copy to get going, which gave me a big ROI.
    Now I want to take my biz to the next level and I’m convinced that copy is one of the few skills every entrepreneur should be really good at.

@Andy Black once said: “You can’t outsource passion and insight.” Never forgot this simple but golden nugget. Don’t know where he said it, but wrote it down in my notebook.

Challenge for the next 30 days:
    • Reading 7 books twice ( see photo ) and maybe more when recommended.
    • Rewriting around 9 ad and direct mail letters. I read on this forum that this step is not that beneficial, but I’ll do it, don’t think it would be a waste of time either.
    You’ll find in this thread: book summaries, golden nuggets that are learned in this challenge, topranking of the books, progress etc..

I would love if I can convince some of you to join me in this challenge. I don’t mind you posting your progress in this thread. We can only motivate each other that way!

This challenge starts today the 1st of May 2018 and will take a whole month.

If you want to read the letter from Gary Halbert on the 30 day challenge:
    The Gary Halbert Letter

5B17227A-1D6A-4F54-A339-12EA28BFDACB.JPG

Victor152, Ninjakid, fiola and 6 others like this.
  2. Joaquim

Joaquim Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $930
    The books will be read in the following order:

- Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins
    - Cashvertising by Drew Whitman
    - Ultimate Sales Letter by Dan Kennedy
    - Tested Advertising Methods John Caples
    - The Robert Collier Letter
    - How to write a good advertisement by Victor Schwab
    - The Boron Letters

I'm thinking of adding Breaktrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz.

Attached Files:

3. Joaquim

Rep Bank:
    $930
    So the challenge is not about 30 days. It's about doing everything mentioned within this challenge. I don't think we'll be loosers when we did this challenge eventually in 50 days or so..

None the less I will do this in 30 days if it's not harming my learning process.

fiola, Late Bloomer and Argue like this.
  4. Eddie Temple

Eddie Temple Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    I'm in, starting immediately. Do you have any revenue targets?
    I'll set mine at $100, and at least 30 cold calls.. lezz go

Joaquim and jcvlds like this.
  5. ProcessPro

ProcessPro Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $753
    I want to be in but I have some school projects occupying my time. Final semester. So I'm half in. I'll follow as best as I could.

ShadyDave, Late Bloomer and Joaquim like this.
  6. ProcessPro

Rep Bank:
    $753
    Hey, there are so many books on the topic. How did you narrow it down to these? What is your criteria? Thanks.

Joaquim likes this.
  7. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,201
    Hey @ProcessPro, these books are recommended by Gary in his newsletter.

@Joaquim great thread.

Joaquim and ProcessPro like this.
  8. ProcessPro

Rep Bank:
    $753
    Hey, I don't know who Gary is. :/
    Can you kindly enlighten me?
    Thanks.

-M.

P.S. I'm around 50 posts; getting my signature soon. :D

Joaquim and Argue like this.
  9. craig1928

craig1928 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,912
    Joaquim, ProcessPro and Argue like this.
  10. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,201
    What @craig1928 said. :D

And I can’t wait to see the new sig. I’m anxious haha

Joaquim and ProcessPro like this.
  11. p0stscript

p0stscript Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,255
    Whilst I will not taking the challenge, I will follow this with interest nevertheless.

Joaquim likes this.
  12. ProcessPro

Rep Bank:
    $753
  13. Argue

Rep Bank:
    $15,201
    Hey guys,
    Here are some of my notes from reading Gary's newsletter. I hope this helps. :praise:

[​IMG]

14. Josh Rhodes

Josh Rhodes New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    What is the goal of doing this challenge? Or is it just busy work?

I only ask this because the first step in copywriting is knowing what the final goal is.

I'm not going to do this challenge, however I have read/studied all those selected and those which Gary mentioned in the letter. Highly recommend 7 steps for anyone doing direct mail.

I really didn't grasp the full benefits of Scientific Advertising until the 6th or 7th time reading (over 20x now) because it's easy to miss as its "so simple"

Also, I did find hand copying letters to be very beneficial...however I don't think 9 times is enough, I ended up doing 95 complete sales letters so far. Around number 30 you'll start to notice a rhythm of the words and while writing your own, you'll self correct. Once again, just my opinion

15. Eddie Temple

Eddie Temple Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    I am already done with half of Scientific Advertising, and will share my notes when I finish..
    Yeah it is "simple", but if you actually pay attention to what you read you will find tons of value

Late Bloomer and Joaquim like this.
  16. Joaquim

Rep Bank:
    $930
    Good idea Eddie Temple. Because I'm into e-commerce my goal will be a bit different.

I Hope to sell more products with the same amount I daily spent on ads.

As Argue told you, it's the Gary Halbert List. Only Cashvertising and Ultimate Sales Letter are not on his list. I added these 2 because of the amount of people who recommend these 2 books, especially on this forum.
    Thanks Argue. And what a great list of rules. People can sell more by only applying this list.

My goal is to sell more products with the same amount of money I daily spent on ads.
    As of now I am trying to lower the cost per product sold, this is one step to help this process.

Thanks for the advice and will try to rewrite more than 9 sales letters.

Late Bloomer, Argue and ProcessPro like this.
  17. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,054
    What was the Udemy course that you took?

Joaquim likes this.
  18. ProcessPro

Rep Bank:
    $753
    Thanks Joaquim!

Joaquim likes this.
  19. Joaquim

Rep Bank:
    $930
    It was from Jack Zerby, but I don't find it anymore. Will look for it more tonight. I'll keep you updated.

Update: Found it already. It was on Skillshare, sorry my bad.

DeletedUser052 likes this.
  20. Fastlane Liam

Fastlane Liam Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,658
    Ive ordered Cashvertisting on Amazon today,

Interested to join in with this.

Wanted to read that one anyway since its been recommended on here previously, so I'll start with it.

Only copywriting experience I have is a few Fiverr gigs and a Udemy course made by Len Smith - (although hes past away now sadly), his partner is a member of the FLF which is cool.

Joaquim likes this.
  21. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,583
    They Laughed When I Sat Down To Read Copywriting Books,
    But When I Began To Sell....

I've read most of those books, and would enjoy joining a study/discussion/application group about them.

If I could only take one book to a desert island, and had to write a great sales letter in a bottle to get rescued, I'd choose BREAKTHROUGH ADVERTISING. It's probably the best single book on the topic I've found.

One of the things Gene Schwartz discusses over and over, is that each super-successful ad campaign was the result of a unique analysis of the unique situation. How much do potential buyers already know about the offer? What's their attitude towards it? Which functional features will be most appealing to them? What emotional hot buttons will connect with them the most?

Because these are unique in every new business situation, the attempt to "copy and paste" an existing ad is unlikely to be successful!

Because I want to learn that way of thinking for my own unique situation, I'm going to skip Gary Halbert's exercise to write out some classic sales letters longhand.

I'm looking now to figure out:
    • How to apply the best of expert copywriting guidance to promote my own business now
    • I've experienced that copywriting mindset can help with a speech... I want to find how else it applies, beyond just writing materials that's obviously an ad
    • I want to include copywriting with marketing consulting I can provide to clients
    Looking forward to where you want to take this discussion in 30 days and beyond!

22. Joaquim

Rep Bank:
    $930
    A great view you have on this matter Late Bloomer.
    Will definitely order breakthrough advertising now.

I'm also convinced that this challenge won't make me an expert. I just want to complete it for my own business and businesses in the future. It's a great beginning in my opinion, I have no single experience in this field.

Another benefit is that with this knowledge it will be easier for me to hire the right people for copy in the future if needed.

As with many things copy is a never ending learning process.

Greets

jcvlds, Late Bloomer and Argue like this.
  23. Joaquim

Rep Bank:
    $930
    Have finished Scientific Advertising yesterday, here’s my view on this book:

This book is in my opinion about the fundamentals of advertising. A great one to start with.

Every topic hammers on the fact that you have to tweak your copy to keep improving it.
    Hopkins wants you to use the ‘Cost per Customer’ or the ‘Cost per $ Sale’ - metrics to key / compare your ads.

Hopkins also advises to use little money to test ads, products etc..
    Now with the internet this is made very simple for us. Do not buy a big inventory on your own guess/expectations. Put little money in your product and test the market until you find a product that sells big.

Main Take-aways:
    • Ask yourself: “ would it help me sell the product if I met a buyer in person?”
    • Study your consumer. Consumer is your priority. Consumer is selfish.
    • Readers forget (use coupons, CTA’s..)
    • The more you tell the more you sell.
    • Never use negativity or talk bad about competitors.
    • Use actual figures and specific facts.
    • Changing people’s habits is very expensive.
    • Create a personality you want your brand to represent and show this also in your ads. Do not change this personality!
    Began today with Cashvertising, which is one I looked forward to because of the many recommendations on this forum.

24. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,583
    I agree with your summary. My full set of notes on the book comes to six pages. Highlights for me now:

Chapter 1 - Advertising done right is an analytical and extremely low risk business activity. This contradicts a lifetime of fearful conditioning about advertising as super-creative and very risky!

Chapter 2 - Guesswork is very expensive. This concerns me as I don't have time or money for big surveys and research projects now.

Chapter 3 - Free trials work. I don't remember my parents or anyone else growing up, ever mentioning that they got something for a week's trial before they had to pay or send it back. What ever happened between Claude's time and my own?

Chapter 5 - Headlines attract people who ALREADY care about your subject. You don't have to convince people they should care, only find people who already do.

Chapter 6 - Psychology
    • I love that principles of human nature are constant. This is a major reason I'm moving from coding geek to marketing guy now. If Bill Gates has some bright idea tomorrow, that doesn't make obsolete what I already know about how important love and pride are to people!
    • I find the point about coupons buying the sample vs. the free sample itself, to be confusing and contradictory. Not quite sure what Claude was getting at here.
    Chapter 7 - Being specific - Timeless, important advice. I'll see what numbers and specific facts I can include.

Chapter 12 - Strategy - I found this chapter intimidating, lots of questions that would be hard to answer without a fully staffed research department of a major ad agency.

Chapter 13- Use of Samples - Ties in with MJ's discussion of control. Got to stay in control of the salesmanship for how your offer is presented, the vibe and environment you set up around it.

Chapter 14 - Distribution - Hard to see how this relates to services rather than products.

Chapter 15 - Test Campaigns - In today's money these "little" tests would be tens of thousands of dollars, so I'm not sure how relevant this approach is today. Need to find a way to scale it to my conditions.

Chapter 18 - Negative Advertising - "Picture what others wish to be, not what they may be now. We are attracted by sunshine, beauty, happiness, health, success. Then point the way to them, not the way out of the opposite. Tell people what to do, not what to avoid. Assume that people will do what you ask. Say, 'Send now for this sample.' Don't say, 'Why do you neglect this offer?' You will find that the positive ad out pulls the other four to one, if you have our experience."

I need to look at this. From my engineering background and how I was raised and educated, and most of my friendships, there's a huge tendency to focus on what's negative, problematic, risky, The Issues etc. I don't care much for that myself, it's just that it comes easy from conditioned responses! I need to rephrase everything negative and gloomy related to my offer, into what's positive and uplifting.

--

I don't have a copy of Cashvertising right now, so I'll skip ahead to the Dan Kennedy book next.

PersistentlyHungry and Argue like this.
  25. jcvlds

jcvlds JC FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $838
    On the contrary, I think it's crucial for new businesses/entrepreneurs or small businesses looking to expand to think about strategy.

I don't think you need a full staffed R&D or agency. Just dedicate some time to think and map out your the industry and the various niches/segments you are evaluating to enter. A piece in this chapter talks about considering your competition. You can use Porter's 5 Forces framework to get a feel for your industry. It'll help you think though how your competition is currently serving the market and who it's catering. Are they huge players? This probably means high barriers to entry for you. Can you differentiate from them? Can you serve a smaller niche-market of the broader market that have special needs?

I think going through these motions and thinking it through will give you a clearer picture of how you want to enter and compete in the market and how you will use your advertising and branding to position yourself in customers' eyes.

Late Bloomer likes this.