The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Computer science focuses on problem solving. Is it a good thing?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Frushe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 8, 2016
Hey. How are you? A few months ago I decided I would study electrical engineering with a focus on computers. But yesterday I assisted a computer science talk introducing the major. I want to tell you guys about it and you can give me your opinion.

As some of you may know, Im from Argentina so college is free. And even if some of you recommended me not to study anything in college, I have chosen to study something and take the opportunity of free education.

So as I was telling you, yesterday I went to a cs intro class in which they spoke about the focus of the major. Its focus is problem solving.

Pros of studying CS:
●All courses are given with a lot of depth(contrary to the engineering degree which has wider courses but not as in depth)
●they focus on problems, thinking, analyzing and solving any type of problems. And on creating/inventing and empashizing that you wont stop learning.
●they teach you the basics in a lot of depth. They explained that they dont teach any programming language in depth. They teach you the basics, the structure to be able to pick and learn any language by yourself. They justified this by saying that in 20 years probably the languages used nowadays wont be relevant. So having the basics allows you to study on your own anything you want.
●the environment is friendlier than the engineering one.
●they have agreements with microsoft and google. Many of the students went to internships to google and microsoft. 9 out of 1o argentinians came from here to last summer internship
●the classes are all between 5 and 10 pm
●its only twenty minutes from my house, whereas the engineering school is one hour and a half.

The not so good:
●it has quite an emphasis on research
●people are not too entrepreneurial. Not many of them started their own business.
●it has strong math classes but no physics or chemistry
●it may be too theoretical

So maybe your opinion can help me in my decision. The not so good aspects might not shine on electrical engineering.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.