The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Check out my new Kickstarter

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/541632530/the-people-of-kickstarter

Hope you guys enjoy the idea as much as I do. Feel free to ask any questions :D

Edit - Decided to post more encase anyone had questions

About me - I've tried a lot of different projects doing a lot of different things from web startups with a team of 5 and investors to a book(now). Everything has ultimately failed. This is my newest idea which I thought would just be a really cool book to have, got the idea about a month ago and moved as fast as I could to get it completed and up and running. That's one thing i've learned over my past failures is how to launch ideas fast and get validation to kill it or keep going with it. I spent 1 year in stealth with a project and it's the worst mistake I ever made (and then read lean startup which is a GREAT book on basically moving fast).

Now i'm onto Kickstarter. It's an exciting experience and humbling seeing your friends step up and back you. It's also no easy task, i'm on my second day of the Kickstarter now, raised a good amount the first day but, if I want to hit my goal i'm going to have to start getting press immediately. That's basically what i'm going to be working on for the next 38 days

[video=youtube;FcubgoVfoPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcubgoVfoPo[/video]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Very interesting, should be rife with Fastlane stories. Good luck.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Very interesting, should be rife with Fastlane stories. Good luck.

From the man himself! Thank you! I was actually scared to post it as first because I'm new and thought it would look spammy. Glad you are accepting! thank you again!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Very cool, i had not seen those different projects. I don't know so much that i would like to have it in a book vs a really well produced video though. The video for your product showing the others was actually fairly entertaining itself.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Very cool, i had not seen those different projects. I don't know so much that i would like to have it in a book vs a really well produced video though. The video for your product showing the others was actually fairly entertaining itself.

Thanks. The book is just easier to make right now in my life, to actually send a videographer down to all those houses would be expensive. If this takes off, I was thinking about doing a video after.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Nice idea. Wish you all the best. Does kickstarter allow you to use the name at your book or they are ok with that?

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Nice idea. Wish you all the best. Does kickstarter allow you to use the name at your book or they are ok with that?

They approved the project so I assume so! :D

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You're doing a crowd sourcing on crowd sourcing?

It will be fun to see if people will pay more than a book is worth for a book.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
This will be a cool book to read.

On a side note, in the video, there was a virtual reality game playing a first person shooter. Just imagine how much weight would be lost from that game alone. Call of Duty and Battlefield are the most popular video games to date, I would play it on that.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
This will be a cool book to read.

On a side note, in the video, there was a virtual reality game playing a first person shooter. Just imagine how much weight would be lost from that game alone. Call of Duty and Battlefield are the most popular video games to date, I would play it on that.

Haha or there will be a lot more camping! Thank you for the compliment :)

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Having a lot of trouble getting press to actually cover the book.

edit - Having a Kickstarter deadline is the scariest and most motivating thing ever.

I've been able to work on it from the second I wake up till I go to bed no problem, not seeing results from the work I put in is the scary part.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You're doing a crowd sourcing on crowd sourcing?

It will be fun to see if people will pay more than a book is worth for a book.

Yeah this is the other thing, and when the price point jumps you don't get a whole lot more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
I have just discovered your thread and your product. It seems to be a very interesting book but I just would like to share one thought I have. How do you convince people to invest in your project? I mean, people will invest in your project because they want to read such a book but by investing in it they will have to pay anyway and in addition to their investment to get the book.
Wouldn't it be easier to do a pre-sale of your book instead? You will see how many people are ready to pay for it and potentially get more money. You just have to advise the delay for delivery.
I can be wrong but that's what your post inspired me.

Hope it helps ;)

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I have just discovered your thread and your product. It seems to be a very interesting book but I just would like to share one thought I have. How do you convince people to invest in your project? I mean, people will invest in your project because they want to read such a book but by investing in it they will have to pay anyway and in addition to their investment to get the book.
Wouldn't it be easier to do a pre-sale of your book instead? You will see how many people are ready to pay for it and potentially get more money. You just have to advise the delay for delivery.
I can be wrong but that's what your post inspired me.

Hope it helps ;)

Yup. I may purchase the book but nor for $20. Investing in the project may also be an option for people but that's not how kickstarter works.

Best of luck..if the book gets written and released I'll buy a copy.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Yup. I may purchase the book but nor for $20.

It depends on how you frame the perceived value of the product. If it's an informational product that will teach people the lessons learned from those successful kickstarter companies (how they succeeded and failed on kickstarter), you can charge a lot more money for the book than if it's just a story.

From personal experience, there was a guy in some African country who needed to raise $800 for a motorcycle for his village and had no clue about crowdfunding. I sold my info product to him for $47 and he used that information to raise over $900.

Just some food for thought with the direction you go with this.

Also, have you thought about asking the people you interviewed to promote your project/interview of them? It looks like theres about $20 Million worth of funders on their lists.... couldn't hurt to ask.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I dislike the video.
It might be too late to put any of this into action.. but as a video guy it's the first thing I notice:

1) Too slow.
2) Voice trying to be inspiring is borderline creepy
3) Sloppy editing (didn't cut on the beat, no rhythm)
4) Looks more like a commercial for kickstarter itself. Leaves viewer confused, no clear explanation of project or a reason to read description.

Looks like you were taking the approach to use the video to inspire/intrigue without overtly selling. I would have started with an 3D open of the mockup of the book (stock After Effects templates reduce the cost of doing this). Inside is your video footage. This would have given the proper context to your project and warmed them to the idea of a book.

It can be touch to edit rhythmically If you're using borrowed footage, but don't be afraid to use a bit of timestretching to make the clips fit the video. I released a product last month and used the "Ripomatic" style to try and pull out the emotion of my audience:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUQZYLDCrAw[/video]
Watching it again I see some imperfections but in general I think it flows pretty well.

I see you have a mock-up of the finished book, I wonder why you didn't use this still within your video?
I think you could have made your video go semi-viral if you had changed a few things.

I also think that your prices for the PDF version are too high. Early adopters and investors are supposed to get the best possible pricing. How much will you sell the PDF of the book for once it's actually finished? $30? $40? Will this be a viable pricepoint or will you have to drop it?

Sorry if I sound "NegativeNegativeNegativeNegative." I'm not trying to be a downer... just pointing out the first things that come to mind.

Good luck with your project!

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
___

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
It depends on how you frame the perceived value of the product. If it's an informational product that will teach people the lessons learned from those successful kickstarter companies (how they succeeded and failed on kickstarter), you can charge a lot more money for the book than if it's just a story.

From personal experience, there was a guy in some African country who needed to raise $800 for a motorcycle for his village and had no clue about crowdfunding. I sold my info product to him for $47 and he used that information to raise over $900.

Just some food for thought with the direction you go with this.

Also, have you thought about asking the people you interviewed to promote your project/interview of them? It looks like theres about $20 Million worth of funders on their lists.... couldn't hurt to ask.

Yeah, I just sent an e-mail out to all of them yesterday. We will see what happens.

This is not a informational product, there will be lessons to be learned of course but, it's more stories then a how-to guide.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
-all love the video and that's all I wanted.

You're not entering it in a film festival. It's a kickstarter project.

Your goal shouldn't be to make something that people 'love.'

Your main goal of your
-Copy
-Images
-Video
-Incentives

should be to meet your minimum kickstarter goal or you've just wasted the past month of capital.

And of course your audience will be looking for a product. They're not browsing upworthy or reddit or youtube and stumble across this video. The video is on a kickstarter page. The reason they're there is to invest in cool products. Probably the ONLY reason they're there is to invest in cool products.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
___

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You're gonna need a thicker skin if you plan to hang out here a while and ask for support from forum members. We're not here to be your cheerleaders. Dennis's post was solid, and an interesting opinion. If you can't take what people offer you for free and at least thank and acknowledge that someone invested some time looking at your campaign... it's not a campaign I could ever give $1 to. You might not be ready for the big time.

Your early numbers are not good. You're not going to make the goal unless you generate some buzz. You need some media attention, or something that is going to upset the apple cart. What can you do to get some crazy attention to this?

If you want this campaign to be successful, you're going to have to change some things up or you are not going to make it.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
A interesting opinion and that's it. I can take criticism but, I just don't agree with his. That's all it is, end of story.

Pointing out early numbers are not good is nothing past common sense. Obviously i'm working on trying to generate buzz all day everyday.

Obviously. All right. Good luck.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
_out

D

DeletedUser2

poor ending to the vid.
no real call to action. no good reason WHY

tell people what they will get, what the big vision they will be part of, WHO they will be by being involved.

Be a part of history in the making, be a part of the chronicling of the largest changes in human history. the new dawing of crowdsourcing,

your money will help to craft the book,
that will tell the story, of the paths these people. the path that was trail all its own.

the obstacles and barriers ordinary people, like you, overcame.
the behind the scenes look at what really happened.

how they did it.
what worked.
what didnt.

and how you could too.

blueprint by blueprint. the ideas, the skill, hard work, and innovative genius it took, being a pioneer, that no one dreamed was possible

until now,
until you, all of you, helped create.

Now you can create the history, and own it.

you can be a part of it,

The book,
the series
the History your already apart of.

you have a good start there but your ending was weak. good job on it! go kick some kickstart butt!

Z

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
poor ending to the vid.
no real call to action. no good reason WHY

tell people what they will get, what the big vision they will be part of, WHO they will be by being involved.

Be a part of history in the making, be a part of the chronicling of the largest changes in human history. the new dawing of crowdsourcing,

your money will help to craft the book,
that will tell the story, of the paths these people. the path that was trail all its own.

the obstacles and barriers ordinary people, like you, overcame.
the behind the scenes look at what really happened.

how they did it.
what worked.
what didnt.

and how you could too.

blueprint by blueprint. the ideas, the skill, hard work, and innovative genius it took, being a pioneer, that no one dreamed was possible

until now,
until you, all of you, helped create.

Now you can create the history, and own it.

you can be a part of it,

The book,
the series
the History your already apart of.

you have a good start there but your ending was weak. good job on it! go kick some kickstart butt!

Z

Brilliant. Speed+

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
_out

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
Did someone get their feelings hurt from a little constructive criticism? That's pretty pathetic. Now whenever you really do need help, I'm sure people will be less inclined to spend their time helping you

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I'm confident in it and it's almost exactly how I would want (would like better editing + the voiceover a little bit different) but, ultimately happy with it.*8/10 IMO

That's great that that is what YOU think, the world unfortunately doesn't give a shit about what YOU think. Clearly the forum disagrees on your opinion of the video.

You've gotten some great feedback (from the market) and your giving everyone who has tried to help the middle finger instead of evaluating their VALUABLE suggestions.

About me - I've tried a lot of different projects doing a lot of different things from web startups with a team of 5 and investors to a book(now). Everything has ultimately failed.

Maybe one of the reasons for this is that you aren't willing to leverage the lessons learned by others in order to reach success, maybe the reason your ventures keep failing is because you don't know as much as you think you do.

Nobody here wants you to fail, we all want to see you succeed and are trying to help you but that enthusiasm is draining fast.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
_out

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts