The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can a $2 tool help make you a millionaire?

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Wunderlist is wayyyyy better!

And as for perception, how bout " just so you know I take notes on my iPhone/ipad"

its not just twice as good, or 5 times as good, compared to paper and pencil, the utility from an app like wunderlist is like 100x better.

its tech!

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I've started using a legal pad this week after reading this thread. Writing down things to do, crossing them off and rewriting the undone items on the next page. Productivity has gone up a lot, it's such a good feeling to cross things off a list, to have everything written down and work off one by one. Love it!

G

Guest428

I've been using a notebook which I can flip back to the previous days to organize thoughts, tasks and notes.

I've been using google calendar to sync up with my phone to keep my schedule detailed and organized.

I also think a huge resource for me has been Google Drive and Dropbox which can keep notes, schedules and any documentation stored and accessible.

I definitely think writing notes and keeping things organized is the way to go. Thanks for the tip on the legal pad though, I really like how it was divided into three sections. I will incorporate that for a test drive for a few days and see if I like it more than what I am doing now.

Berters

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Dec 20, 2013
UK
And for those of us who rely too much on technology, there is Wunderlist - https://www.wunderlist.com/en/

I use it on my iPhone and iPad throughout the day and then look over everything on my computer. Really good way to sort lists and also share them with others who can contribute.

I still use a notepad on my desk though for the really important shit that needs doing!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
S

stranger

You spend your time on writing things you have to do.:smoking:
I know many people who take notes and they aren't Millionaires.:headbanger:

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Does a legal pad really cost $2 now days? I'm out of touch.

As pedantic as this sounds, the slightly more expensive legal pads are much better for writing (the pen moves more smoothly on the page).

The few extra dollars are well worth it.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I had to post here. as I said earlier I do everything on paper. and I mean everything. I have started duplicating things electronically to attempt to use more technology but I always find myself back to a pen and paper. (my trusty purple ink pen ;) )

someone told me that I need to get everything I have been working on into electronic format and get it into one place online... which I did. then they gave me a task. instead of working on it on my laptop I am using my laptop and writing down everything on my notebook! I have printed out pages that are an outline and I can only do anything productive with it by scribbling all over it in ink... then I can rewrite it on paper a few times and then and only then can I put it into electronic format. LOL

I feel like a dinosaur! I just cant get my stuff out of my head while trying to use technology. its a definite barrier for me. I definitely see benefits of doing it my way though as much as I see my limitations. had I been able to use the computer instead of physically holding and making things I wouldn't have seen design issues until it was made into something physical. so it saved me a few steps. however on tasks like this I cant help but wonder if I had the ability to use the technology would I be better off or worse off then I am right now?

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Went to buy a new notebook today, had an idea then looked it up. I found this.
Pocket Briefcase
Looks awesome! I would love to be able to carry a notebook in my back pocket when I'm out and about instead of leaving it in the car.

Blue1214

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 26, 2014
This concept definitely works as proven by many, but I'm not one to believe there is some advantage to writing on a paper wjth a pencil. It doesn't work for me . I use my phone and I've met successful people who use their phone also to stay on track.

The key is not in the notepad but just having a consistent way to track your goals and whatever notes you need for the day. Some people started off doing it with a Physical note pad so they feel comfortable sticking to that which is fine.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
One of the smartest guys I know is the owner of a distribution company in Los Angeles, California.

20 years ago, he gave me a $2 discipline I still use daily. The discipline survives technology changes, strategy changes, and location changes. It survives business wins, and epic losses. It is a crutch, but a self created crutch.

The discipline? A legal pad.

He keeps one. He lives in the 2 block radius of Beverly Hills that every Californian is aware of, but most can't afford.

There are two critical tasks for the legal pad.

Task #1
  • When he meets with someone, he has his legal pad handy.
  • He takes notes
  • When I was in pre-law, they taught me to take notes with a legal pad. Split the page by drawing a line down the first 1/3 of the page. Use the right 2/3 of the page to take notes (on whom ever is speaking) and use the left 1/3 column you made to write your questions so you can address them when the speaker is finished speaking.
  • Even if you don't want the notes for later (you might...) the discipline of taking notes helps you concentrate on the speaker, and/or helps you appear to the speaker as if you are concentrating on the speaker

Task #2
  • Every day, he uses a fresh sheet of paper as the "to do" list for that day
  • We all have many things thrown at us throughout the day... put them on the "to do" list
  • Put your milestone goals on the list
  • Put your "shit I have to do today" things on the list
  • Cross things off the list that you get done
  • Carry over things to the next day's clean sheet that have to stay on the list

By the way, if someone comes in for an interview, or for a business meeting, and they don't have something to write with and something to write on, he assumes (maybe correctly) that they are not organized. This quick value judgment may or may not be fair, but perception is reality when he is the deciding factor in his sandbox.

After reading James Altucher's book Choose Yourself and his AMA thread on the forum, you probably have more need for a legal pad than just the above two things.

This strategy works for a multimillionaire who runs a hugely successful enterprise. It has kept me organized for the past many years. It might work for you.
This is what I use. Narrow-ruled. I learned the technique from my former boss in 1998, the busiest multi-tasker in business. He had learned it from his dad, an attorney. No wonder.
The to-do list page also captures contact info and memos in righthand margins.
You can line out the big tasks and rudimentary or nonessential tasks in three different- colored high-lighter markers to keep pushing yourself.
I'm delighted you use it. It means I don't need to look for a better method.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jun 12, 2018
I like saving the lists and throwing them in a 3-ring binder so I can review later.

Although I don't use a Yellow Note Pad for "to dos", I use the FL Daily. ((100 Days) The Millionaire TO DO List)

My yellow note pads are more for brainstorming concept ideas (for writing).

Every time I try to swap my To-Do list to something digital, it never works. Within weeks (sometimes days) I'm back to the old pen and paper method.

todolistgreenfinal-500x500.jpg

Where do you write down tasks for later or deadlines ?

Wil22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 8, 2020
Philadelphia,Pa
One of the smartest guys I know is the owner of a distribution company in Los Angeles, California.

20 years ago, he gave me a $2 discipline I still use daily. The discipline survives technology changes, strategy changes, and location changes. It survives business wins, and epic losses. It is a crutch, but a self created crutch.

The discipline? A legal pad.

He keeps one. He lives in the 2 block radius of Beverly Hills that every Californian is aware of, but most can't afford.

There are two critical tasks for the legal pad.

Task #1
  • When he meets with someone, he has his legal pad handy.
  • He takes notes
  • When I was in pre-law, they taught me to take notes with a legal pad. Split the page by drawing a line down the first 1/3 of the page. Use the right 2/3 of the page to take notes (on whom ever is speaking) and use the left 1/3 column you made to write your questions so you can address them when the speaker is finished speaking.
  • Even if you don't want the notes for later (you might...) the discipline of taking notes helps you concentrate on the speaker, and/or helps you appear to the speaker as if you are concentrating on the speaker

Task #2
  • We all have many things thrown at us throughout the day... put them on the "to do" list

By the way, if someone comes in for an interview, or for a business meeting, and they don't have something to write with and something to write on, he assumes (maybe correctly) that they are not organized. This quick value judgment may or may not be fair, but perception is reality when he is the deciding factor in his sandbox.

After reading James Altucher's book Choose Yourself and his AMA thread on the forum, you probably have more need for a legal pad than just the above two things.

This strategy works for a multimillionaire who runs a hugely successful enterprise. It has kept me organized for the past many years. It might work for you.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
In the side Weekly/Monthly panels.

Re-writing them daily reminds me of the bigger objective.

Agreed. The repetition crystallize is the objective.

Silent...

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 14, 2022
Task #2

As a person who wasted a lot of time reading productivity books this sounds great!

How do you deal with recurring tasks?
Where do you store tasks that need to be done in the future like next weeks, months? Because rewriting it daily wouldn't make sense
Whats with Task that you want to do maybe or someday?
Do you also write down your Appoitments here or store it in your calendar?

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio