The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying a new car

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This thread makes me so happy that I don't give a f*ck about cars anymore. As long as it starts, drives, and keeps me free from drama and drains on my time, I'm keeping her.

This is my point, though I give a shit about cars. I am trying not to.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Not trying to get into a flame war BUT the fusion borrowed the grill the the Aston and it in no way, shape, or form looks like an Aston.

Unless they sold it while I wasn't looking Ford currently owns Aston Martin. I also agree and I think they did a really good job with it. Its no Aston Martin but it looks a lot better then the fords of my day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Not trying to get into a flame war BUT the fusion borrowed the grill the the Aston and it in no way, shape, or form looks like an Aston.

Well aware.

He's talking about buying cars, I'm just throwing out one that I'm partial towards. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

And no, it doesn't really look like an Aston, but as far as midsize sedans under $30,000 go, it's a pretty good looking car. As is the KIA Optima, which someone posted pictures of earlier. Actually the KIA is probably the better pick if you are buying a new car because their warranties are crazzzy good.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Keep it simple: weighted average decision matrix. I think this is the right situation for this

No. Absolutely not. lol ;)

If I buy anything it will $5,000 or under. These are the only types of vehicles I will drive until I can properly afford $150,000+ vehicles. Anything in the middle (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) just isn't special enough for me. I'd rather wait it out.

KeonTheGreat

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 25, 2012
FOR ME though, right now, I am a one car guy. I want as little trouble as possible.
Alright so we are the same you'd rather lease a nice new and id rather just own a old cheapy. Plus im only 20 and living near a city full coverage is too expensive for me so leasing a brand new car would send my insurance through the roof, the old cheapy keeps the premium down :D

archytype

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
Unless they sold it while I wasn't looking Ford currently owns Aston Martin. I also agree and I think they did a really good job with it. Its no Aston Martin but it looks a lot better then the fords of my day.

Ford did sell Aston Martin years ago, and AM has tried to persuade Ford not to copycat, but how do you trademark a grille?

Astute

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jun 19, 2012
London, UK
A friend of mine would spend a lot on cars, but always regretted it afterwards and was left disappointed. Then he eventually came across a deal on a second hand Range Rover and found out that the woman was selling it because her (soon to be ex) husband bought it for her as a gift, and she just wanted to sell it as quickly as possible before their divorce. He completely screwed her on the price and he could sell it now, a few years later, at the same price he bought it for back then. If you're not in a terrible rush then I would wait for the right opportunity like that to come along, rather than rushing out and blowing money on something you will not be satisfied with.

dfw1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 3, 2010
Dallas TX
Just tonight I was watching TV and there was this auto auction show for unique cars. They had a BMW 735i either 2006 or 2007 not sure, but the car was gorgeous and it sold for $16,000! I checked online and saw several cars of this make and model at a slightly higher price, but do not spend $50,000 on a luxury vehicle when there are great deals when the vehicle is 6 -7 years old.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
As someones mentioned about the 7 Series BMW you can buy a 2006 2007 model for an amazing price just make sure you do your home work as in towards all the toys and gadgets because some people will just sell it to compete with other cheap prices not wanting to make theirs look expensive..

Do what i used to do hit a local car auction I had a BMW x5 , Volkswagen R32 and a Porsche Boxster sitting sold them all for a very tidy profit like keep turning it over whilst still maintaining a stunning car

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Can you get diesel BMWs in the states? I only know of the X5.

I like them too. I want an S350 diesel for a daily driver.

Zndr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
May 13, 2013
Oregon
OP, I would go for a 3-4 year old, whatever coming off lease, don't buy new. It will still look new, been well taken care of being on a lease and generally fewer miles.

Not unless he replaced the engine with a V8. They are well tuned, good handling, but not fast and low torque.

Mine is

o
v
e
r

<------here

Not fast? Well the f22 holds the world record for the highest displacement motor and with simple forced induction they are very fast..

goodfella

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 4, 2013
dude your only 19 if you have enough money and can take 50g's into the dealership without any regret than go ahead and buy it.

glaskon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 16, 2012
In Poland cars are expensive due to taxes etc.
But here we can buy Chrysler 300C 2006-2007 with hemi 5.7 engine in about 13k$

Why I'm talking about this car?
Hemi Engines have indestructable opinion.

And Chrysler front suspension and steering is from Mercedes S klasse, and driving and rear suspension is from Mercedes E klasse, so it look like you can drive nice car at bargain price.

I do not know how prices are in US, but i think that you can find Chrysler 300C in good condition and price. I started special project, revenue from this project will be use to buy this car.

In US you have half price on gas, so i would buy SRT8 version is 6.1lm and it give nice driving experience...

I would buy a car for 50k $ when I would have 500k$ savings and stable income netto (after all costs) >5k$.

But usually what i do is that i buy a car for 4-6k$ and tuning it up for 2-3k$ and thanks to that i could have quite cheap sport car.
Last time i did it with my ibiza - 1.9 tdi - diesel and thanks to tuning i made about 240HP , and car weigth was about 1200kg.

glaskon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 16, 2012
Many bad reviews on the Hemi Engine:

"at 66k miles, the car died at a red light without warning or signs/symptoms of problems. It...just...shut...off! Still waiting on diagnosis from Chrysler automotive. At this point, Chrysler is charging me $320 just to tear down engine to see what is wrong. Will report back once I learn the problem. Im expecting to hear engine blown $11k in repairs."

"Do your research! People are giving star rating based on the looks/cosmetics of the car and not talking about the engine that will fail on you with low mileage! I've had the engine rebuilt and just recently, the transmission. The mechanic who rebuilt my engine makes a living on fixing Hemi V8 5.7L engines. He was surprised that mine lasted 110,000 miles. That should give you a clue as to what kind care and quality control Chrysler has. I bought the car brand new in 2006 and gave nothing but synthetic oil changes and the proper maintenance. It looks great but I do not recommend this vehicle for reliability purposes. "

Too many recalls... 2005-2010 Chrysler 300 - Used Car Review - AutoTrader.com

Keep away from Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge!

WOW, i have 2 friends with this car and they told me something totally different.

And i heard that hemi engines are very good, and reliable ones...

About suspension in chrysler 300c, VW do not have suspension from bugatti (but some models have same as AUDI),
and chrysler use exactly the same parts as mercedes...

But still if the engine is not reliable, this is not a good choice...

mrsilva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 25, 2012
Attract girls with a car it all depends where do you live. Try to drive a Ferrari in Miami and you will see what happens! :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As for getting attention from girls, well I can tell you from my first hand experience... you will be getting attention alright, but FROM GUYS.

You speak absolute truth.

My Venom Viper attracted guys like flies. My Murci wasn't as bad but overall these cars attract MEN, not women unless your idea of a woman is a 16 year old girl who associates the car with Justin Bieber and/or consumptious rappers.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
@ mrsilva, well so tell us then, what happens when you drive a Ferrari in Miami.. Mind you I have never been in USA so wouldn't know. But in London (UK), I was getting chatted up by guys..

As for the original poster, if you really want to get attention from girls then I would say your height and figure will play a massive part.

According to my observations, if you are over 6ft then you will get attention, if you are around 6ft3 then you will be getting tons of attention. Also if you have big arms then that also helps..

I am about 6'2 or 6'3 (depending on the shoes) and have buffed up recently so weigh around 220lb with about 17inch plus arms. Need less to say, when I am in clubs I have girls dancing around me or talking to me etc.. Now why is that? Well, simply because I STAND OUT from the crowd because of my hight and width.

Besides, you won't be taking your car with you in clubs or bars or super stores, so girls won't know about them, all they will know/see is YOU. So improve your image and become more confident, confidence is the number one key, more than your looks or status or cars.

Yes, buying a car might help you with your confidence, because it makes you feel as if you are in the elite league etc.. However, the main thing is your confidence.

I bought the Bentley because it was simply one of my dream when I was growing up. So I bought it for myself, not to impress the girls or any one.

So if you want to buy the car then buy it because you want to, not because you will have to impress others. If you are always seeking validations from others then thats a pretty dangerous position to be, because your happiness will always rely on others, you don't want that, you want to be IN CONTROL OF YOUR OWN EMOTIONS.

Good luck..

PS, how do I know so much about dating and girls... well, lets just say I was involved with the dating world for almost 7 years, have you guys heard of david deangelo aka eben pagan? I have taught those things to many guys live.. it was like that tv program The pick up artist on MTV, I knew that guy as well and used to do the same thing eg taking guys to clubs and showing them how things are done.. So if any one in here wants any dating or relationship advice then I am happy to help.

road_runner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
Just to mention that the Japaneee car have different concept - it is not torque they value, it is higher rpm, so when your torque starts to diminish at about 5000 rpm the Japanese are still pushing up to 8000 rpm quite often.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Only thing I've considered lately is a new truck. My old car has about had it. And I could use a full size pick up.

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
As somebody who's worked in the car industry, I would only buy it if you can pay cash or you have extremely good credit to the point where your guarantied a good deal.

everything other than that is pretty much a no mans land of bad financial decisions... dealerships are debt factories.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.