Here's the scenario:
One of my friends has a cool piece of software that is in the lifestyle business. It is geared towards people that are into tattoos and bridges the virtual/physical divide. It's a pretty cool idea. However, it's more than just an idea. He's got it to the point of a few random customers - not friends and family - but no more than 5 customers. The company's software is built. He's identified a niche and is building a list via a landing page. The product works and doesn't have major bugs. It's a complete Minimum Viable Product (MVP). Basically, the whole product is ready to scale - it seems.
However, he sucks at marketing. He's a builder, but he's looking to license his tech instead of growing the company himself.
I've got a chance to make an offer for the technology and essentially get a worldwide, exclusive license to grow this tech. I'd own any improvements I make, but as long as it has his tech in it, I'd owe royalty fees. If I fail, he wants the tech back, minus my improvements, so he can try to re-sell it again. Makes sense to me.
I know that INEs are about $100-1k based on this forum.
This isn't an INE, because it is a working product. But it's not a business, because it's like the business engine is built, but there's no gas. I'm not certain the business will work beyond the 5 or so customers thus far. But it's also working well enough that those 5 customers came in with what little marketing is being done. It seems the product has a product / market fit based on initial customers.
He's asking for $5,000 - $10,000 for the license, payment terms negotiable, likely over 12 months. Plus 5% royalty license fee on the revenue I make, minimum $1k / mo royalty payment after 3 months. Additional software support / tech support / system maintenance support would be a monthly retainer, about $1-2k per month for as long as I need it. He's put in about 3+ months of building the software, website, mailing list, audience, marketing strategy, etc. He's a full-stack dev, so replicating the tech would be paying someone like a $140,000 yearly salary for 3 months or so.
Help me understand how to best value this. It seems like it's worth more than an idea. It seems like it's copyright-able in the US, so there is a license legally that can be granted. But it seems far short of a working business where a normal cashflow model would be the way to go. It also seems that boosting this with some marketing could result in a very valuable business for me to own and sell.
Thoughts on what I should counteroffer? Is this cheap or expensive based on what you guys have seen before?
One of my friends has a cool piece of software that is in the lifestyle business. It is geared towards people that are into tattoos and bridges the virtual/physical divide. It's a pretty cool idea. However, it's more than just an idea. He's got it to the point of a few random customers - not friends and family - but no more than 5 customers. The company's software is built. He's identified a niche and is building a list via a landing page. The product works and doesn't have major bugs. It's a complete Minimum Viable Product (MVP). Basically, the whole product is ready to scale - it seems.
However, he sucks at marketing. He's a builder, but he's looking to license his tech instead of growing the company himself.
I've got a chance to make an offer for the technology and essentially get a worldwide, exclusive license to grow this tech. I'd own any improvements I make, but as long as it has his tech in it, I'd owe royalty fees. If I fail, he wants the tech back, minus my improvements, so he can try to re-sell it again. Makes sense to me.
I know that INEs are about $100-1k based on this forum.
This isn't an INE, because it is a working product. But it's not a business, because it's like the business engine is built, but there's no gas. I'm not certain the business will work beyond the 5 or so customers thus far. But it's also working well enough that those 5 customers came in with what little marketing is being done. It seems the product has a product / market fit based on initial customers.
He's asking for $5,000 - $10,000 for the license, payment terms negotiable, likely over 12 months. Plus 5% royalty license fee on the revenue I make, minimum $1k / mo royalty payment after 3 months. Additional software support / tech support / system maintenance support would be a monthly retainer, about $1-2k per month for as long as I need it. He's put in about 3+ months of building the software, website, mailing list, audience, marketing strategy, etc. He's a full-stack dev, so replicating the tech would be paying someone like a $140,000 yearly salary for 3 months or so.
Help me understand how to best value this. It seems like it's worth more than an idea. It seems like it's copyright-able in the US, so there is a license legally that can be granted. But it seems far short of a working business where a normal cashflow model would be the way to go. It also seems that boosting this with some marketing could result in a very valuable business for me to own and sell.
Thoughts on what I should counteroffer? Is this cheap or expensive based on what you guys have seen before?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
