The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best Cities To Live In

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Here's an interesting article, 2009 Edition of Askmen.com's Top29 Cities To Live:
http://www.askmen.com/specials/2009_top_29/

It's nice to know that I live in one of those cities!
Any other people who live in one of these cities here would like to comment about their city and whether it really deserved being picked?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Have not lived in any of these and only visited a few; however, I have to say that Chicago is DEFINITELY on my "places to live" list...was on there way before this list came out! London is really cool. Glad to see that a German city is on there (Berlin), I feel like Germany is underrated. Amazing history, great culture, great people, very clean.

-Josh

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
I agree with this for the most part. I lived in #1 and moved to #3 about 6 years ago. I'm surprised that Chicago would place ahead of cities like Madrid, Montreal, NYC, Portland, SF and many of the others. I agree it should be in the top 29, but not at #1. I mean, just the weather issue alone should put it out of the top 10.

Most, if not all people I know who live in Chicago, would move to any of those cities I listed above...

But this is just my experience so I'd be interested to hear what others think.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
I'm surprised that megacities like Tokyo appear in such a list and not some of those little swiss jewels like Geneve or Zurich. There is no Amsterdam, no Boston, no Cracow, no Stockholm. Hm.

Regarding german cities I've seen another study in 2005 that rated Munich, Frankfurt and Dusseldorf far above Berlin and Hamburg. So don't trust a statistic (or any top x list) you didn't fake yourself.

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
Munich is much more beautiful than Berlin - in my opinion at least. That's the thing with lists like this, they were created by one person or a few people with their own opinion. Nice to look at, but shouldn't be seen as the one and only truth :p

... and they left out Round Rock, TX :(

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Chicago was rated higher than NY, yeah right.

I hate cities but I like Boston, I could almost consider living there for a month.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Most, if not all people I know who live in Chicago, would move to any of those cities I listed above...

I'll take this one, although I think MJ and Kenric are better suited to answer that most of us Chicagoans are destined to end up in Phoenix :smxB:

My guess is that it's propaganda to help us get the Olympics, but I almost lost my lunch when I read this part:

"with an affordable lifestyle and down-to-earth work hard/play hard character."

Affordable- LMAO!!! I won't begin to discuss cost of living within City Limits, but living my whole life in Palatine, a modest suburb(not "upscale" like our neighbors in Barrington or "sub-standard" like some parts of Wheeling, another neighboring suburb) the cost of living has shot up and along with the unpredictability of the weather and depressing Fall/Winter seasons, it is as MJ's story shows, difficult to develop an entrepreneur mindset in these "conditions"

Down-to-Earth- one of my favorite movies, American Beauty, is a satire of the Northwest/North-Shore Suburban Area, especially the wife played by Annette Benning, is a very common character you'll run across who is more concerned with status and material possessions than life itself :(

Then there's the city itself where a tiny condo will run you $200k+ and $20 cover is not uncommon for a decent bar/club.

Don't get me wrong, Chicago is and always will be my home and favorite city by default, but to say it's the BEST city to live in is a joke and I would know since I've lived in 1 of the other cities on the list(Vienna) and visited about half of them and I still have a tough time putting Chicago in the top 5 :smx4:

Munich is much more beautiful than Berlin - in my opinion at least. That's the thing with lists like this, they were created by one person or a few people with their own opinion. Nice to look at, but shouldn't be seen as the one and only truth :p

... and they left out Round Rock, TX :(

That's a tough choice Florian, I loved both cities and as far as my favorite city that isn't Chicago I juggle between Munich and Berlin although not a city, my favorite spot in the world so far is Interlaken, Switzerland aka Heaven on Earth :coolgleamA:

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Feb 10, 2009
NYC
I guess its about time to create the "Fastlane favourite cities" list ;-)

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
My guess is that it's propaganda to help us get the Olympics, but I almost lost my lunch when I read this part:

"with an affordable lifestyle and down-to-earth work hard/play hard character."

Affordable- LMAO!!! I won't begin to discuss cost of living within City Limits, but living my whole life in Palatine, a modest suburb(not "upscale" like our neighbors in Barrington or "sub-standard" like some parts of Wheeling, another neighboring suburb) the cost of living has shot up and along with the unpredictability of the weather and depressing Fall/Winter seasons, it is as MJ's story shows, difficult to develop an entrepreneur mindset in these "conditions"

But compared with most of the other cities on this list, $200k for a condo is EXTREMELY AFFORDABLE!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I was going to say a $200k condo is cheap, good luck finding one of those in New York.

I don't think you could afford to live in NY City on anything less than $100k-$150k a year, and you would be just getting by on that. Your really a piss ant to a lot of them if you don't make $50m a year.

You guys like the fastlane life style, so you would want to live in Westchester or southern CT say Greenwich, Westport, or Southport, and take your helicopter into work everyday. Or if you work for GE you could just drive, there are some nice clothing stores down that way.

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
That's a tough choice Florian, I loved both cities and as far as my favorite city that isn't Chicago I juggle between Munich and Berlin although not a city, my favorite spot in the world so far is Interlaken, Switzerland aka Heaven on Earth.

Not for a Bavarian patriot, Clint ;) I've never visited Interlaken but I sure will. Hmm... there are simly too many wonderful cities on earth, all with there own charme.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.