The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Barrier of Entry is something I can't control...yet.

Anything related to matters of the mind

DesignerOne.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Nov 29, 2016
Rochester, Ny
I’m offering 3 services that benefit a business and growth. One of them includes some graphic design but when I go to look for job opportunities, there isn’t any out there. Or rather, People look for the cheapest option, like fiverr. And when I mention graphic design everyone forgets about whatever else I’m offering.

A big barrier is also that I can't really cold call people since I'm deaf and Video Relay Services are shitty, or if I manage to pull a job on somewhere like upwork, I avoid having phone interviews or skype unless its video so I can lip read, but that isn't always effective. Also in Video Relay what happens is I call someone via a Interpreter, sign to the interpreter and the screen is choppy, and the interpreter probably will summarize what I sign, then listen to the client, then summarize what they say back to me. So there's constant loss in translation. IT PISSES ME OFF because there's nothing I can do except have to go and drive somewhere, get better wifi to run the software, etc etc.

I’m not looking to make money big...yet. I’m looking to help people, I’ve had a few personal clients who were extremely interested in my services and I produced quality work and consultations. Some people loved it but with some other clients there’s constant flaking when the job’s about to be done.

I’m on Upwork but I don’t see it being viable in the long term, and there are only graphic design jobs on there that would relate to a small component of my services but I feel like it's eating up most of my services now.

I’ve read Lex’s threads on how to sell yourself, which they did help however I feel like I’m sinking. There aren’t many threads on here that’s anything similar to what I’m doing so I feel like it’s uncharted but surely that must not be the case.

Are there any resources out there anyone could refer me to so I could better improve upon selling my services and finding the right people? Books, sites, threads?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A big barrier is also that I can't really cold call people since I'm deaf and Video Relay Services are shitty

Maybe you are looking at this the wrong way.

Perhaps you could be perfectly honest in your cold emails -- mention that you are at a slight disadvantage because you are deaf, but have a big advantage in your skills, apttitude, and level of integrity. Maybe even make light of it ... "I would love to call you, but the technology to assist deaf people in communication just isn't there yet."

In other words, turn your disadvantage into an asset.

I know that if I was considering hiring someone for a job -- all things being held equal -- I would probably pick the person who is disadvantaged over someone who is not.

DesignerOne.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Nov 29, 2016
Rochester, Ny
In other words, turn your disadvantage into an asset.

Couldn't agree with this more, thank you for pointing that out.

I have a lot of work and a lot of learning to do :)

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
A big barrier is also that I can't really cold call people since I'm deaf

I agree with MJ. Use non-verbal communication as much as possible. If a customer wants a call, let them know your limitation up front. The focus is on the quality of work.

Check out @SinisterLex 's thread about starting on and leaving Upwork. I believe it will be helpful.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ith-no-degree-no-feedback-no-portfolio.58837/

Also look for @Kak 's thread on web design. I find it inspiring because he starts small and documents his progress.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.