The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Auto Responder Help

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Need a little guidance here-

I am currently going through my final edits of a book before I send it to an editor. (I need to pre-edit to hide how bad I actually am from the editor.) I plan to publish through Amazon's createspace.com so I have instant access to amazon as well as other outlets.

My primary desire for sales will be directly from my own website. My goal is to use this to build a list to then market a companion product about 1 or 2 months after the fact, and then another after that. Product 2 is currently about 50% complete.

What is the best setup to make this possible?

My thoughts to date are-

1. email autoresponder list signup (using aweber), they verify the email, then they purchase. My concern is creating another barrier to sale completion. Will the autoresponder cause too many people to drop out of the process? If my only delivery vehicle is an ebook, then it would be less of an issue, but for the hard copy book folks who would want to give it as a gift, then I could see it being a barrier.

2. I could harvest the emails from the purchase form, but then it would not be a double opt in list. Should I even care if it is not a double opt in list?

3. things I have not thought of

Ok, web gurus, please gurutize me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Deege

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 12, 2008
Okay so before people by the product offer two routes, create an account get 10% off or buy normally and pay full price. The people that agree to create an account will then be subscribed to your news letter. Here is the trick to not get them to dropout of the process, you cant harangue them at every hour of every day, they will quickly get annoyed and order a stop to the "newsletter".

If your product is enjoyable and they like the first product, the second product should be extremely easy to sell.

After all is said and done and the lead sales have taken place, offer a package deal with both products for one easy price.

Newsletters and email notifications are really big in up selling your next product, you just have to make sure your not over drilling your product into the customers head..

This is just from previous experience as a web developer and my product sales.

Good Luck man, let me know if you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

Cheers,
DJ

Edit: As for people with the hard copy of the book, send them a little flier with the book, promoting your next product.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Double opt-in is completely commonplace. People are comfortable using it, and using a service like Aweber also gives you a higher delivery rate and tracking...very much worth the cost. If your offer is good, people will confirm their subscription. Are you giving a free gift for signing up and then upselling the book? It's a very simple way to get them on the list before selling. I personally don't like checkout processes that force me to subscribe to a list in order to get a product I just paid for. Presentation is everything. If I've already subscribed however, and then I'm offered a product that rocks, I go buy it...I'm already on the list.

Give em 3 chapters for free. That gets them on your list, and then it naturally leads them into the sales process. People drop off every step along the sales funnel. That's normal. What's key is to ensure that people drop out for the right reasons. 100% conversion is never the goal if you ask me. You only want 100% of the people you want. Trust me, your target market is not "everyone". If someone won't even click a confirmation link to get 3 free chapters of your book, who cares? If they don't want 3 free chapters, you really think they're gonna buy the book? Not likely :)

Don't sweat the people who don't buy. Make sure your marketing converts profitably, test, retest and continue to refine your model as you go. Also, don't worry too much. There is huge value in just putting the sucker up and learning from experience. There's no way to perfect your sales process until it's in action.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You have to give something away to compel people to sign-up. A free ebook, a free report, something of value. For myself, I will offer the first 30 pages of my book for free, or the first 2 chapters ... haven't decided exactly yet. I also have some other free stuff in the pipeline ...

And yes, double-opt-in is perfectly normal. I also believe AWeber is the best Autoresponder out there, with an awesome affiliate program as well. (Yea, I'm recommending one!)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.