The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are You in the Slowlane like me? Thinslicer's Crazy Plans to Change Lanes

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

How many hours of sleep do you get on average a day?

• <5 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-6 hours

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 6-7 hours

• 7-8 hours

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 8+ hours

• Polyphasic 4-6 hours

• Polyphasic <4 hours

• Sleep is for the weak

• Total voters

thinslicer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 13, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Hello guys, this is just another personal goal to millions thread where I will be chronicling my story to wealth. I am currently in graduate school, work part-time, and pretty much cruising down the slowlane, and I am thinking and planning everyday on how to change to the fastlane.

Quitting school is barely an option since Im neck-deep in student loans and don't want to disappoint my parents, again... I did quit once before to attempt professional poker and a few business projects, but I have failed, and now Im back in school. I was doing well with online poker and was on my way to making more than what pharmacists make in a year (Im doing a Pharm.D/MBA program), but then US online poker apocalypse happened and it was banned, and I didn't do too well with live and full-table poker (I specialized in heads-up sit-n-gos online) when I was in Vegas for 3 months in 2011, but no regrets, many lessons learned.

So like some of you, I am now continuing down a slowlane path that I must maintain, while attempting to change to the fastlane. Like with poker before, I will now attempt to start projects that will earn more than an average pharmacist salary so I can have the option to quit school and quickly get to the top :coolgleamA:

I have been working on a few ideas to start on with some of my savings and left over online poker money including a mobile app, e-commerce, and a (licensing) idea in the kitchen gadget industry. I still need more market research and detailed execution plan before I put all my energies into one project, which I will layout in more details in this thread later on. But I will also discuss some of my strategies to change the way I live bc I believe that habits and lifestyle can get you to the fastlane just as much as business strategies and knowledge. For example, I need to cut down my going out and TV/Movies time.

So my first crazy plan is to adopt a non-conventional sleeping cycle to get more time and change lane faster since my schedule is always so full due to a two-degree program, part-time job, gym, social life, etc (that I need to come up with ways to sacrifice down). I have always been obsess with time and time management so this would be interesting to try out.
Screen Shot 2012-09-02 at 2.36.03 PM.jpg
So Im going to attempt the everyman with 2 naps in the above picture and see how it goes with the intention of maybe going further down to the more extreme cycles. My school record lectures so I can skip classes and listen to recordings to manage the schedule better. There are some threads on polyphasic sleep on here and a good amount on the net if polyphasic or biphasic sleep is something you're not familiar with it:
Polyphasic sleep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/cu...-polyphasic-sleep-uberman-sleep-schedule.html
Polyphasic Sleep
Let me know if you're interested in trying it to!

Best, and until the next update, Thinslicer.

9/6/12 UPDATE
-I decided to take another break (likely permanent this time) from pharmacy school officially as of yesterday to expedite my fastlane process.
-This was a huge decision that will dramatically change my life, hopefully for the better and Im lucky that my family and friends supports my decision but I know there are some people including some of my friends who think Im crazy, they tell me you are almost done, two years and you will be making 6 figures and that I can always do business and what I love later, and this and that all revolving around slowlane thinking. I just tell them that pharmacy didn't make me happy and I want to do what I am happy with regardless of the money.

I’d rather live in regret of failure than in regret of never trying.
- MJ DeMarco

-My fastlane process is coming together. I will be starting them pretty soon, should have something to show by next update in a couple of months or so at the max.
-The sleep cycle is going great. I am actually doing the biphasic 6.3h right now instead of the everyman with 2 naps to start since it matches better with my schedule now that I have more time and don't have to spend 50-70 hours with pharmacy school. I don't experience any difficult adjusting effects b/c I adjust my ADHD medication dosage according to my schedule. I will eventually get to the Everyman with 2 naps if I can afford to quit my part-time job and have complete freedom of my time (I will still have to attend my MBA classes but it's only once a week for 4 hours).
-My next crazy plan is to track and build up my hours to fairly expert and experienced expert in fields/industries Im interested in. Im sure most you have heard of the 10000 hour rule from Outliers. This article below expands a little on it by scaling down to levels of abilities:

Starting first with that 10,000 hours of practice: I’d had a similar thought about leveling-up abilities based on a magnitude-of-10 hour scale:
at 1 hour … you know some basics
at 10 hours … you have a pretty good grasp of the basics
at 100 hours … you are fairly expert
at 1000 hours … you are an experienced expert
at 10000 hours … you are a master
http://davidseah.com/blog/2005/11/building-a-niche-of-one/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
I wish you the best man and keep us posted! I did the uberman sleep schedule in college for a semester and even scheduled my classes around the naps at 2, 6, and 10. I wasted all my "extra" time by playing games non-stop. If you have a goal you wish to achieve, the extra time can be quite helpful. The naps did get annoying because it seemed like something would ALWAYS come up during one of my scheduled naps and I'd have to push it forward or back an hour. Was great conversation though and all my classmates and professors thought I was the laziest and craziest Mf-er since I would always take naps in the public courtyard area. Little did they know! If only I had used that extra time "wisely" though.

Now I'd be more inclined to do a less extreme bi-phasic schedule. I can tell you it is very quiet between the hours of 2-6am, even on weekends in a college town. ;)

thinslicer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 13, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Thanks Dan, why did you quit? Is all the trouble and inconvenience worth the extra hours? I know everyone is different, but would like to know and learn from your experience or others that have tried it before.

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
I believe the main reason was because I worked at a camp in the summer so I had to revert back to "normal" sleeping. I probably wouldn't have continued it anyway, though, because I didn't have a "higher purpose" in a sense. Whether that is a business project or whatnot, I was addicted to games at the time and the sole reason for doing the experiment. I feel it would be worth it if you were pouring your heart and soul into a startup, although the extra time may not be necessary. Most people do not do the important things that really boost their businesses and waste time on non-productive activities. 80/20 rule. You may have more time and think you are getting more done, but if you aren't doing the REALLY important and DIFFICULT activities that take your endeavors to the next level, it wouldn't matter if you got 50 hours in a day.

Oh, and if you try Uberman, I think you're supposed to eat grapes since your body produces a certain chemical in stage 3 or 4 sleep that you would skip. Not sure if it is true, but I did it anyway. ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.