The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any way to avoid Nanny tax?

Taxes and regulation

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Hi I caretake a special needs kid at his house and his mother pays me each week in cash. (under the counter) I know I need to figure the tax thing out before I get in trouble but is there anyway around it? Its so much money down the drain to pay taxes on 10 dollars an hour, I make around $400-$500 a week.

Can I Somehow start a business and say that his mom is my client? Then write of a things like rent, car, computer, etc. as business expenses then pay taxes only on what I have left? How would I go about doing this?

Someone who knows about taxes please help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Assuming this is in the U.S. The answer is yes, you have to include that income on your personal tax return if you earned more than $400 in the current year. Now, I know a lot of people who do not include it on their personal income because they are paid in cash. That being said, it is totally up to you if you want to include it on your personal tax return.

Business expense has to be ordinary and necessary. It can not be personal expense. Is rent and computer expense ordinary and necessary to run your business? You can claim your business deductions on Schedule C on your tax return.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I would just pay the tax. It may hurt in the short term but what happens if THEY somehow get busted on an audit, or if they claim something directly? Then you'll be stuck with back taxes AND penalties.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Assuming this is in the U.S. The answer is yes, you have to include that income on your personal tax return if you earned more than $400 in the current year. Now, I know a lot of people who do not include it on their personal income because they are paid in cash. That being said, it is totally up to you if you want to include it on your personal tax return.

Business expense has to be ordinary and necessary. It can not be personal expense. Is rent and computer expense ordinary and necessary to run your business? You can claim your business deductions on Schedule C on your tax return.
I havent even been filing a tax return because this is my only job and no other income. Should I call a tax professional or is that a waste of money?

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I havent even been filing a tax return because this is my only job and no other income. Should I call a tax professional or is that a waste of money?

It is a pretty simple tax return. Many tax software can handle this such as taxact or turbo tax. In my opinion, I wouldn't waste my time with a tax professional. I would use one of these software, read up on business expenses in the below link or publication 535.

Here is an article from IRS related to business expense.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Deducting-Business-Expenses

wbrett1027

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 15, 2015
How would you get caught? If it's under the table... It's not like she's writing it off??

Brett.W
Brettco LLC
Southern Maryland
"If your scared Go to Church, bored get to work"

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
How would you get caught? If it's under the table... It's not like she's writing it off??

Brett.W
Brettco LLC
Southern Maryland
Just trying to stay out of trouble really. But she isn't claiming me on her taxes or anything

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Step 1: Stop posting publicly in multiple threads that you're "getting paid under the counter."
Step 2: Actually pay your taxes. Your income isn't that high. With standard deductions you'll get most of your money back.
^ this

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Last edited by a moderator:

wbrett1027

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 15, 2015
I know a girl who nannys, she wanted to be honest and do the right thing, so she started getting taxed,
At the end of the year she owed 2k in taxes,
Hope this helps you and leads you in the right direction

Brett.W
Brettco LLC
Southern Maryland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.