The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I too Late to the Party

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
I just E-mailed MJ , hey he has his E-mail address in the back of "Fastlane, I didn't expect a response, but hey if you don't swing you're never going to get a hit. Here's the E-mail I sent him and their is value because I'm not the only one with sitting where I'm at and the question isn't really directed plainly in his books. Many people like myself are where I'm at. So, here you go fellow members, no feel-good replies, please. I don't mean to come off like an a$$, I just appreciate plain talk, the man to man kind ( no offense to woman) thank you in advance

"
Greeting MJ,

I just finished the "Fastlane", I stumbled on it by accident and it was a great read, I'm just getting started with "Unscripted " > I'm a 57 year old area director for an up and coming company. I have been a business owner a few times with limited success and left with a "ham sandwich" when all was said and done = unsustainable business models. In your books you don't mention success for people later on in life, I have all the usual BS at my age, mortgage, debt older kids that always need something = $$.

I'm also tough as nails, despite my age. I can build a website that solves a problem and put in the work, I'm not interested in pissing away my time on shortcuts, they don't work and my belief is that successful people are willing to do the hard thing longer than others. I hate being on this train to nowhere and being part of the herd, the movie the "Matrix" always had a deeper meaning for me and I'm just living a Donkye's life.

So, give it to me with the bark on, in your opinion, make the best of what I have because that ship has already sailed, or say "F*ck-it" it's time to get raw and kick some a$$ and launch this new path and never look back. I believe I can do anything, I don't like pissing away my time. My expectations are I can put the work in and enter the global market with my solutions and website in 3 years or less. I have no idea how to build a website, but that can be learned.

Again, I'm a big boy, give it to me straight and the only reason why I'm bothering you is that I respect your perspective and you talk in a no BS manner and I hate bullshit.

I don't really expect a reply, I'm sure you get an a$$-load of inquires, but hey, you left never really talked specifically about older dudes getting out of the slowlane c hances.

Best Regards,

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
maybe start a business with your kids that they can pioneer and run as it matures.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Welcome to the forum Josephseal, and no you are not too late. If you are, than I'm really screwed as I have a couple years on you. :) Your intro could have been mine.

I was wrestling with much of the same concerns after I first stumbled upon TMF and UNSCRIPTED . Here's my logic for once again going for the gold. Like you, I'm an executive and making good money, so why risk it? Because I'm still just an employee and could be out on my butt with nothing more than a day's notice. Because I drive an hour and half to work every day and am expected to put in 9 to 10 hours plus weekends. Because I almost lost my wife to cancer, yet here I am still working every day. I could list some more but I think you get the picture.

So I committed to again going on my own. But this time I was armed with knowledge from TMF that I didn't have before. My previous small biz adventures failed because they didn't make CENTS. One may still play out in my favor (I'm on the BOD now not full time) but no guarantee. Now that I understand the CENTS commandments, I'm able to better assess likely outcomes before I commit.

I took me a while, but I've identified the need I'm going to fill. I've built a plan of action and am on track. My plan includes continuing this job for another few months, but there is an end to this slow lane and a path to the Fastlane. I'm more excited, motivated and full of life than I have been in many years.

Yes, there is risk. Especially at our age, we don't get too many more bites at the apple. And no, this isn't for everyone - no matter their age.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
Welcome to the forum Josephseal, and no you are not too late. If you are, than I'm really screwed as I have a couple years on you. :) Your intro could have been mine.

I was wrestling with much of the same concerns after I first stumbled upon TMF and UNSCRIPTED . Here's my logic for once again going for the gold. Like you, I'm an executive and making good money, so why risk it? Because I'm still just an employee and could be out on my butt with nothing more than a day's notice. Because I drive an hour and half to work every day and am expected to put in 9 to 10 hours plus weekends. Because I almost lost my wife to cancer, yet here I am still working every day. I could list some more but I think you get the picture.

So I committed to again going on my own. But this time I was armed with knowledge from TMF that I didn't have before. My previous small biz adventures failed because they didn't make CENTS. One may still play out in my favor (I'm on the BOD now not full time) but no guarantee. Now that I understand the CENTS commandments, I'm able to better assess likely outcomes before I commit.

I took me a while, but I've identified the need I'm going to fill. I've built a plan of action and am on track. My plan includes continuing this job for another few months, but there is an end to this slow lane and a path to the Fastlane. I'm more excited, motivated and full of life than I have been in many years.

Yes, there is risk. Especially at our age, we don't get too many more bites at the apple. And no, this isn't for everyone - no matter their age.

I know a CRO who recently left to start a venture around the age of 55 or 60.. cant really tell lol. Plus, if you are an executive then you have lots of contacts and experience to leverage.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
What you are describing would require changes in your life:

1. Changes in your mindset (how you think)
2. Changes in lifestyle (how you work)
3. Changes in environment (potentially)

...along with many other changes. So my question back to you would be "Are you willing/able to make the changes necessary to live a different life?"

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Wow, thanks team for the replies !!

If I'm talking to myself, yep, it's never to late.....but sometimes my self-talk has also gotten me screwed, so before I charge up the hill, I thought I would throw it out there and hear what others had to say. And if your a member of this forum, we already have a lot in common = get off the "Donkey Farm " and become a "Race Horse"
@ Erman, yep, feel like I'm talking to a brother in arms, thanks for taking the time as well as everyone else. I look forward to crossing paths on the forum. I'm right there with you, I do make good money , my bosses are great (today) but like you, that could change in a minute and I could also make a very educated guess has how my financial world will unfold in the next 10 years. I have a lot of experience building teams and I also like it and I'm good at it and I know GREAT teams are a Global need. See it was that easy, the problem to be solved is = Businesses need Elite Teams and the barrier to market might seem high, but there is a ton Mega time-wasting crap of information out there, to be read, listen to ..etc. I'll come back to that later in the post. I have to get my middle-class donkey sh$t done = landscaping my yard ( Fancy for cut the grass)

@ Get-Right, how true your reply is, sit on your a$$ and you get a ham sandwich with a slap, work harder on yourself than you do at your job is what I tell my teams. As MJ says, and one of my personal favorites = There is no short-cuts, STOP your everlasting journey looking for the "SHORT-CUTS", they don't exist... do the work !!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!!

Please keep them coming.

Last edited:

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
maybe start a business with your kids that they can pioneer and run as it matures.
Nadda , I love them, but we have different work ethics, plus I did it for 10 years, that's why I shave my head:)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's never too late, namely, value is color-blind, age--blind, race-blind, and a bunch of other things.

If you have what I want, I won't care about your personal demography.

The challenge for older people is universal as you describe: bigger debts, bigger responsibilities, and more aversion to risk. Also, beliefs and lifestyles tend to be unmovable and burned in. While this hinders, your life experience can help. Who wins this battle is up to you.

What you are describing would require changes in your life:

1. Changes in your mindset (how you think)
2. Changes in lifestyle (how you work)
3. Changes in environment (potentially)

...along with many other changes. So my question back to you would be "Are you willing/able to make the changes necessary to live a different life?"

+1

Everyone wants to change their life, but no one wants to change their choices.

Welcome to the forum, considering your email answered! ;-)

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 5, 2019
VA
If you're over 35 its basically over /s

But in all seriousness as long as you put in the work and provide value it really doesnt matter how old you are.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I had it going when I was in my 40's. More money than could be spent. Crashed and burned in my early 50's. Restarted in mid 50's and have enough now to take me comfortably through retirement.

So yeah, you can do it...

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
It's never too late, namely, value is color-blind, age--blind, race-blind, and a bunch of other things.

If you have what I want, I won't care about your personal demography.

The challenge for older people is universal as you describe: bigger debts, bigger responsibilities, and more aversion to risk. Also, beliefs and lifestyles tend to be unmovable and burned in. While this hinders, your life experience can help. Who wins this battle is up to you.

+1

Everyone wants to change their life, but no one wants to change their choices.

Welcome to the forum, considering your email answered! ;-)
Thank-you Mr. MJ as well as StevO and Tubs.

Wow, MJ is a man that walks the walk, when I sent the e-mail if came back and told me to post it on the forum, he's in there every day..viola and so let it be written and let it be done! I'm impressed.

Being in my late fifties I have mastery in some things and good at others, I think the heavier load makes us later year warriors switch to survival mode, play it safe and don't take chances = Chances = time, lose it and it's gone forever, the funny thing is that the same rule applies to someone in their thirties, any time you spend is gone forever, you just have a pocket full of it and don't pay attention.
@Steve O is a warrior, he didn't ring the bell, never ring the bell as the Navy Seal Admiral William McRaven said, StevO lived that.

Thanks all for the replies and support it means a lot and I hope that other later in life warriors choose to fix bayonets and take the hill and not ring the bell. For guys like me sometimes, not all the time, you have to hit us over the head with a hammer and state it clear as day, the market doesn't give a hoot how old you are, just get moving and solve a problem, then scale, think small stay small. I like to think big after reading the FastLane I feel like I'm actually closer than I thought.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
Thank-you Mr. MJ as well as StevO and Tubs.

Wow, MJ is a man that walks the walk, when I sent the e-mail if came back and told me to post it on the forum, he's in there every day..viola and so let it be written and let it be done! I'm impressed.

Being in my late fifties I have mastery in some things and good at others, I think the heavier load makes us later year warriors switch to survival mode, play it safe and don't take chances = Chances = time, lose it and it's gone forever, the funny thing is that the same rule applies to someone in their thirties, any time you spend is gone forever, you just have a pocket full of it and don't pay attention.
@Steve O is a warrior, he didn't ring the bell, never ring the bell as the Navy Seal Admiral William McRaven said, StevO lived that.

Thanks all for the replies and support it means a lot and I hope that other later in life warriors choose to fix bayonets and take the hill and not ring the bell. For guys like me sometimes, not all the time, you have to hit us over the head with a hammer and state it clear as day, the market doesn't give a hoot how old you are, just get moving and solve a problem, then scale, think small stay small. I like to think big after reading the FastLane I feel like I'm actually closer than I thought.

Please keep us updated. I hope you make the leap!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.