What's new

Advice Writing Fantasy Fiction?

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Joined
Jun 16, 2012
Messages
1,488
Location
Bali, Indonesia
Rep Bank
$2,465
User Power: 216%
After watching a few interviews with my writing heroes (Jim Butcher, Brandon Sanderson) I've decided to write some fiction. I'm unsure if this is something I want to even try and make money off of, it's mostly for self development and wish fulfillment.

With NaNoWriMo coming up, I decided to try to write my first novel. I don't care what the official rules are, I'm starting now with the outlining/worldbuilding/etc, maybe some actual writing. I'm aiming for at least 50K by the end of November, although I think 75K is more likely for the story I want to tell.

I hope that my nonfiction+copywriting experience will carry over to fiction as far as keeping readers compelled. I'm confident in my ability to build worlds and characters, however the specifics of grammar and structure is what I find most difficult.

It seems my decision to consume all my content in audio format comes back to bite me. I only read audiobooks now because it allows me to multitask. Turns out, while I can learn/absorb skills in plot/structure/engagement, I don't absorb any information on formatting, grammar, and punctuation.

I was hoping that anybody with more experience than me can give me the most useful writing tip you've picked up over the years.

TL;DR:
I started writing fiction (Here's my progress/log). Do you have any advice for someone who doesn't normally write fiction? What's your most useful tip you've picked up?
 
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Tvsien zuas duptdouatpitt opvu xusft epf fup'v tvuq vu ifov apvom zua'si fupi.
 
Tvsien zuas duptdouatpitt opvu xusft epf fup'v tvuq vu ifov apvom zua'si fupi.

Qis tittoup? Qis djeqvis? Qis cuul?
Xjip ZUA tvsien fu zua jewi ep uavmopi caomv gostv us katv gohasi ov uav et zua hu.

O apfistvepf iwiszupi't qsuditt xomm ci foggisipv, tu eptxis gus ZUA, O'n taqis dasouat.

Tipv gsun nz LGVJXO atoph Veqeveml
 
Qis tittoup? Qis djeqvis? Qis cuul?
Xjip ZUA tvsien fu zua jewi ep uavmopi caomv gostv us katv gohasi ov uav et zua hu.

O apfistvepf iwiszupi't qsuditt xomm ci foggisipv, tu eptxis gus ZUA, O'n taqis dasouat.

Tipv gsun nz LGVJXO atoph Veqeveml
Ziej, qis tittoup. Gus ni, O piif vu jewi e tumof ofie ug xjisi O piif vji tvusz vu hu cigusi O xsovi, cav upi ug vji gostv vjopht O puvodif xet jux vszoph vu ifov xjomi dsievoph hsievmz tmuxif uavqav epf fotsaqvif vji ushepod dsievoup qsuditt.

O sidemm siefoph tunixjisi vjev vji qesvt ug vji cseop atif op dsievoup epf ifovoph esi foggisipv, tu upi tjuamf tewi ifovoph gus egvis e xsovoph tittoup ot dunqmivi. Tvezoph op vji 'tvsien ug duptdouatpitt' tvevi xjomi zua'si xsovoph hipisemmz qsufadit civvis dupvipv epf johjis uwisemm uavqav, ev mietv gus ni.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom