The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

About to finish a coding bootcamp, while simultaneously starting a web design biz . . . losing my motivation to continue coding

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Tipoki13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 8, 2019
Hi all,

So I'll give a quick synopsis of my situation. I began a coding bootcamp last year, which I'm about to finish up in August. I also joined Fox Sales Legends program about a month ago which has been going well. I'm not working a job at the moment. I lost my job as an accountant as a result of C0VlD-19.

As many will know, learning to code is no easy task and it takes a lot of time, effort and energy. I'm at a crossroads as to whether I should continue on my path to learn to code after my bootcamp or should I set it aside and focus on the web design business.

I'm trying to motivate myself to stick at it. I'm looking for justification from an entrepreneurial point of view to continue learning it. Should I continue to code even if I don't want to get a job in the area? Is the skill worth attaining, considering the time and investment, even if you're not going to get a job with those skills? Obviously with respect to finding a job, it makes complete sense to continue, high demand, high salaries etc.

At the same time, I'm thinking what if I just dive into the web design business and make that work.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
I'm at a crossroads as to whether I should continue on my path to learn to code after my bootcamp or should I set it aside and focus on the web design business.

What are you studying in your year-long "coding bootcamp"? What is the expected outcome at the end of it all?

Tipoki13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 8, 2019
What are you studying in your year-long "coding bootcamp"? What is the expected outcome at the end of it all?
It's a full stack course, which encompasses HTML, CSS, JS and Python. Along with different frameworks and libraries and there's a bit of SQL too. The outcome is meant to be landing a junior developer job at the end.

To be honest, in hindsight, I wouldn't have opted for this course if I was to start again just for the simple fact that it doesn't focus on one language and has a 'jack of all trades' approach. In hindsight, I would've chosen one language and studied that.

So when I finish this course, in my mind, I have three options:
1. Get a job as a junior developer, continue to build my coding skills and build my web design business as a side hustle.
2. Go all in on the web design business
3. Don't find a job but continue committing time to coding (2/3 hrs a day) and spend the rest of my time on the business

This is the dilemma in my head, apologies if I didn't articulate it in my original post

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I was just about to ask the same question.

"Before anyone offers their 2¢, could you tell us why you took the coding course in the first place?
Some context would really help give you more informed feedback."

Tipoki13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 8, 2019
I was just about to ask the same question.

"Before anyone offers their 2¢, could you tell us why you took the coding course in the first place?
Some context would really help give you more informed feedback."
Ok cool. I worked in finance and hated and I was looking for a way out. So I decided to pick software development as a new route to go down, with the logic of it may be a good skill to learn in terms of going down the fastlane route while also offering me an escape from finance

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
I'd say in regard to programming and software engineering, don't dabble in it. It's a life-long practice - not a one time project.

I don't see why you couldn't do web design and still learn more about web apps at the same time. If anything, it could help teach you how to market and sell your own apps, all while learning about where customers needs are. Or maybe only work enough projects to keep up with your burn rate. Build proficiency in development, enough to get a job and learn more while being paid. Or build your own software solution.

I personally believe the future is being written as we speak- and it is being setup as an architecture to better support AI.

It all depends on what you want - but if you think long term. 20 years. 30 years. 40 years. Where is the world going to be, and what will your role be in it? It might inspire you to think bigger and see a vision of success after stacking decades-worth of technologies.

Tipoki13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 8, 2019
I'd say in regard to programming and software engineering, don't dabble in it. It's a life-long practice - not a one time project.

I don't see why you couldn't do web design and still learn more about web apps at the same time. If anything, it could help teach you how to market and sell your own apps, all while learning about where customers needs are. Or maybe only work enough projects to keep up with your burn rate. Build proficiency in development, enough to get a job and learn more while being paid. Or build your own software solution.

I personally believe the future is being written as we speak- and it is being setup as an architecture to better support AI.

It all depends on what you want - but if you think long term. 20 years. 30 years. 40 years. Where is the world going to be, and what will your role be in it? It might inspire you to think bigger and see a vision of success after stacking decades-worth of technologies.
Yeah sure, I definitely know its not something to dabble in.

The way you speak about it being future was part of my motivation to start and is one of the biggest parts of continuing - I know that it will be a highly valuable skill in the future economy

Thanks for your reply

XxThelionxX

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 26, 2017
Texas
Life is not static
...Or it is. I've never been able to understand that. Essential life is this ever changing thing. So change! It all works out. Work hard, pray for grace, and share. Life is meant to be lived. F your passivity.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
Coding bootcamps are expensive. I would only recommend them to someone that wanted to get a job as a programmer. You don't need to spend 8k to learn how to build a software product. At that point, you might as well just hire overseas developers to build the thing for you while you focus on the business.

If you're not looking to get a software job, I would advise you to end the bootcamp. If you still want to learn programming, buy the latest textbooks on your languages of choice and take a few Udemy courses. This will cost $100-300 in total. It requires more discipline.

You can start a web design and development firm without learning to code at all. At least learn the basics, then outsource the implementation.

business-mistake

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 31, 2021
Hi all,

So I'll give a quick synopsis of my situation. I began a coding bootcamp last year, which I'm about to finish up in August. I also joined Fox Sales Legends program about a month ago which has been going well. I'm not working a job at the moment. I lost my job as an accountant as a result of C0VlD-19.

As many will know, learning to code is no easy task and it takes a lot of time, effort and energy. I'm at a crossroads as to whether I should continue on my path to learn to code after my bootcamp or should I set it aside and focus on the web design business.

I'm trying to motivate myself to stick at it. I'm looking for justification from an entrepreneurial point of view to continue learning it. Should I continue to code even if I don't want to get a job in the area? Is the skill worth attaining, considering the time and investment, even if you're not going to get a job with those skills? Obviously with respect to finding a job, it makes complete sense to continue, high demand, high salaries etc.

At the same time, I'm thinking what if I just dive into the web design business and make that work.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
I also started coding one month ago. Right after I finished reading Unscripted .

Before reading Unscripted I had the dream of becoming independent. My problem was that I was trying to do that by learning skills that I was passionate about, which led me to learn popular skills or skills that are easy. After reading the book I realized that if I want freedom I should pursue something that the market wants, not something that I want. So I started going deep after ideas and the best ideas I found was app-related.

Now I code every day, even tough I dread the first half hour/hour - and I dread it even more if I'm stuck at a problem. Still, I haven't missed a day because of meaning and purpose. So if you don't have a business you want to create by code, I find it extremely hard to keep coding. For me I can't pursue if it's for a job or that I might think it will be useful in the future - it has to be a direct meaning to it.

The funny thing is that it was incredibly boring in the beginning, but because of feedback-loop I actually started to like programming more and more.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZvwE5lk-7I

Hope this brings some clarity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.