The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A utility-based product, how to verify marketability

Admiral

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 22, 2015
Montreal
Hello!

I would like ideas on how to market-verify an idea prior to investing in rendering it.

I am currently in process of researching a product based on a problem which I personally face, and the product is not an innovation whatsoever, but rather a utility-based introduction of a very conventional product, in order to solve a problem few people face.

To give an example, which is not my product, assume that people with a certain gum disease must throw away their toothbrush everyday -this is a theoretical scenario- and although there are many variants of toothbrushes now, there doesn't exist a bundle sold with day-of-the-week markings on them where a user won't mistake having used this toothbrush or not for any given day. Monday toothbrush is for Monday, and Tuesday one is for Tuesday.

These toothbrushes are marked by the day, sold in a far more competitive price than the normal tooth brush as they're meant to be a single-day use, but still of enough quality to stand between premium oral brushes and cheap gas-station ones. I aim to sell them in bundles of 7 days, at a price reasonable for those currently stuck with buying many toothbrushes and throwing them away after one-day uses.

I remind you, my product is not the above toothbrushes scenario and as far as I am aware there doesn't exist such a gum disease. This is just an approximation scenario.

My question is, assuming the same scenario above, in which my product is essentially a utility offering built on top of preexisting products, how is it possible for me to verify the marketability of my product without giving away my idea in a mass-survey?

For those experienced in private-labeling from china and importing to sell, does this model sound viable? The same idea say can be extended to many products, in my opinion, to solve often-niche problems.

I value any feedback, be it related to my question or other ideas, also I am open to all questions!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Admiral

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 22, 2015
Montreal
Get a professional photo realistic rendering.

Create landing page as if product is real.

PPC.

Test and verify marketability

That's actually brilliant!

I must, however, post pone this to right before I am ready to sign with OEM suppliers and begin operations, as it would prove horrendous if people start placing orders or attempt to while I am not ready.

In my list of things to do, I added your step here, does this make sense?

- Determine if product is viable, research journals and forums.

- Establish general target market and market research, including competition.

- Sourcing and suppliers.

- Shipping, customs clearance, taxes and warehousing.

- Choose domestic/international shipping company and finalize shipping agreements.

- Branding, marketing and design.

- Render photo-realistic product, push brand with a teaser campaign to test/verify interest <--here.

- Web development and marketing collateral.

- CRM/Accounting setup.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Why would you wait till the end?

You want to make sure there's an audience waiting to buy your product. Identify your target market, niche down if you have to.

Start ppc on this exact audience

When they like what they see on your website, they'll buy.

When they are taken to checkout on your website make them fill out email and name, next page is billing info, when they reach the billing info page replace it by simply apologizing that you're out of inventory and that you'll message them right away when you're stocked up.

Keep their emails and email them when you get your first shipment.

Worry about the rest later until you received actual validation that people will buy your product.

Admiral

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 22, 2015
Montreal

You want to make sure there's an audience waiting to buy your product. Identify your target market, niche down if you have to.

When they are taken to checkout on your website make them fill out email and name, next page is billing info, when they reach the billing info page replace it by simply apologizing that you're out of inventory and that you'll message them right away when you're stocked up.

Worry about the rest later until you received actual validation that people will buy your product.

Your advice is worth gold.

Thank you, will get working on this right away.

I shall pester you with updates quite soon!

Alan at SE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Dec 15, 2007
My friend is in a similar boat but instead of PPC, he had already created a full fledged website around his niche where he has become a semi authority. He's now able to identify the top products/types needed and is still able to monetize as an affiliate. He put up an opt-in on his top traffic pages to collect users email to notify them when his product, which is supposed to be better, was going to launch.

Maka702

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Mar 13, 2015
Werere

My god this is brilliant. Holy shit. That is straight gold man.I was just lurking in the right thread today!!!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
My god this is brilliant. Holy shit. That is straight gold man.I was just lurking in the right thread today!!!

Plenty of Gold here. Welcome to the forums.

For those experienced in private-labeling from china and importing to sell, does this model sound viable? The same idea say can be extended to many products, in my opinion, to solve often-niche problems.

This model already exists within the packaging for things like birth control pills. You can also get after market containers that have the day of the week on for medication, vitamin pills etc.

1OglqEo.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.