The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A thought I had

Anything related to matters of the mind

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Feb 15, 2019
Hey guys,
Just had a thought I wanted to share...
I am currently thinking "man I don't want to go to the gym."
Then it hit me. What do you want to live with? Sure I could be lazy and not go to the gym, but I have to live with the results of these actions. The consequences, the negative feelings, and the lazy momentum it creates.

I'm personally obsessed with discipline. I believe discipline is the backbone of all success. Consistently sacrificing what you want right now, for what you truly want long-term. Discipline entails doing what you don't want to do.

This carries over to entrepreneurship and every area of our life. Want to start a business, but afraid? Want to ask someone out, but afraid? In these moments you have to decide what you truly want. Choose the option that gives you the result you want, don't necessarily choose the action you want.
To better explain my thought, back to my gym example. I could choose the action I want, not going to the gym. Or I could choose the result I want, going to the gym and continuing to stay in great shape. I'm choosing the result I want.

SUFFER THE PAIN OF DISCIPLINE, OR SUFFER THE PAIN OF REGRET.
You decide...

Just wanted to share.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wouter

What do you want to be when you give up?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 6, 2019
Netherlands
Thanks for sharing. This has been on my mind lately, so it's nice to see your perspective.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Feb 15, 2019
Thanks for sharing. This has been on my mind lately, so it's nice to see your perspective.
It's interesting, and something I still think on all the time. I'm not sure it's so black and white though. Discipline I think is the key to success, however, I think it can be taken to an extreme. I often get upset with myself for taking time off or relaxing now. While some could view that as a good thing, the reality is I've sort of brainwashed myself into thinking that way by always doing the thing I didn't want to do.

I think it's a double edged sword though. Many people like GaryVee wear the amount of hours they work on their sleeve like it's a badge of honor. But in reality you have to ask, Gary, if you truly work that much what's your relationship like with your kids then? Do they know who you are? How's the relationship with your wife?

I think the easiest way I could put my thoughts on it is, align your level of discipline with your goals. You can't work 20 hours a day and still maintain a healthy body, healthy relationships, or anything else in your life. If you want to just make 6-figures a year but live comfortably you can probably do that without having to dedicate as much to discipline compared to someone who wants to be a billionaire.

Life in essence is a balance, however, incredible things don't come from balance. Average comes from balance. Lebron James is not Lebron James because he balanced practicing, friendships, and life. He sacrificed much of those to practice and became who he is. Same as anyone else who is a top performer rather it be business or sports or anything else. Much of them sacrificed a large part of their life and went practically all in. Whether that's worth it in the end or not, probably depends on your values.

Thoughts?

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Feb 15, 2019
On the same note, one thing that has always been on my mind is by doing one thing you are forgoing the option of doing anything else in that moment.

For example, by sitting here typing this post, I'm sacrificing this time I could be spending on working on my business. Or meeting new people and forming relationships, or reading a book, or anything else. We can literally only do one thing in any given moment. What would your life look like if you spent every moment on your business? Or every moment moving the needle in your life to achieve your goals? Would you feel burnt out, or is there a threshold that if you keep pushing through it, eventually burnout will no longer exist for you?

Sorry for the great wall of china of text, something I'm fascinated with though.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Its all about discipline and focus!

ivan i

Retiring at 25
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Mar 4, 2018
Canada
These are some words I didn't know I needed to hear today. Thanks man.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I hate the gym but its dicipline that makes you.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
It's interesting, and something I still think on all the time. I'm not sure it's so black and white though. Discipline I think is the key to success, however, I think it can be taken to an extreme. I often get upset with myself for taking time off or relaxing now. While some could view that as a good thing, the reality is I've sort of brainwashed myself into thinking that way by always doing the thing I didn't want to do.

I think it's a double edged sword though. Many people like GaryVee wear the amount of hours they work on their sleeve like it's a badge of honor. But in reality you have to ask, Gary, if you truly work that much what's your relationship like with your kids then? Do they know who you are? How's the relationship with your wife?

I think the easiest way I could put my thoughts on it is, align your level of discipline with your goals. You can't work 20 hours a day and still maintain a healthy body, healthy relationships, or anything else in your life. If you want to just make 6-figures a year but live comfortably you can probably do that without having to dedicate as much to discipline compared to someone who wants to be a billionaire.

Life in essence is a balance, however, incredible things don't come from balance. Average comes from balance. Lebron James is not Lebron James because he balanced practicing, friendships, and life. He sacrificed much of those to practice and became who he is. Same as anyone else who is a top performer rather it be business or sports or anything else. Much of them sacrificed a large part of their life and went practically all in. Whether that's worth it in the end or not, probably depends on your values.

Thoughts?

An imbalanced life temporarily creates a balanced life in the future. There's always a sacrifice involved. Every person that's successful at their craft (Lebron being a great example) has spent the majority of their life honing their skills.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
There is not always a sacrifice, just sometimes.

My employees have discipline. They get up early, show up, work hard, and their boss gets all the benefit.

Yeah, I go to the gym...however...

90% of the time I ONLY do what I want to do. The universe doesn't care if you did something you liked or didn't like. That's ignorant to think otherwise. Life is not a zero sum game of sacrifice and reward. Some people float through and enjoy the benefits without giving up much. It largely comes down to quality of decisions. My decisions are top-notch. That's why I get to be "undisciplined". People equate their discipline with what they "deserve". Like Clint Eastwood said, "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it".

So many people are hustling, doing things they aren't good at, struggling and not getting ahead and meanwhile trying to stay motivated thinking "discipline is the answer". It usually isn't.

The secret is to use your unique advantages, combine them with what you have a preference in doing, and then you're off to the races. I'm good at running businesses, and I do it in a way that I enjoy. My work is play, so I'm always playing.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Feb 15, 2019
There is not always a sacrifice, just sometimes.

My employees have discipline. They get up early, show up, work hard, and their boss gets all the benefit.

Yeah, I go to the gym...however...

90% of the time I ONLY do what I want to do. The universe doesn't care if you did something you liked or didn't like. That's ignorant to think otherwise. Life is not a zero sum game of sacrifice and reward. Some people float through and enjoy the benefits without giving up much. It largely comes down to quality of decisions. My decisions are top-notch. That's why I get to be "undisciplined". People equate their discipline with what they "deserve". Like Clint Eastwood said, "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it".

So many people are hustling, doing things they aren't good at, struggling and not getting ahead and meanwhile trying to stay motivated thinking "discipline is the answer". It usually isn't.

The secret is to use your unique advantages, combine them with what you have a preference in doing, and then you're off to the races. I'm good at running businesses, and I do it in a way that I enjoy. My work is play, so I'm always playing.
Interesting thoughts.
The idea behind it is that most people do not enjoy the things needed to get the results desired.
For example, I would love to eat cheesecake all day long, it's my favorite dessert. However, it does not give me the desired results I crave physically. Through years of eating quality foods that get me the results I crave, I no longer desire cheesecake and therefore it's seamless for me to steer away from it.

Initially, I think it is sacrifice on a lot of things. Then as you gain momentum and begin seeing results that you like, it reinforces the behavior and therefore becomes something you "want" to do rather than something you have to discipline yourself to do.

I think discipline is the key to getting off the ground. It's the key for a lazy person to begin working out. If we always did what we wanted, we would hang out and watch TV all day. I think as results come from various actions, it reinforces the behavior. Thus causing beneficial behaviors to become something we want to do, such as working out, running a business, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.